Author Topic: Anyone else doing The Compact in 2013?  (Read 5833 times)

WhatMomWears

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • living joie de vivre
    • What Mom Wears
Anyone else doing The Compact in 2013?
« on: January 02, 2013, 10:35:06 AM »
I've tried it before and stumbled. This year I am determined to make it through 12 months without purchasing anything other than necessities.  My husband isn't joining in because he isn't much of a consumer anyways (besides beer - hah!) and doesn't need The Compact to prevent him from buying only necessities.

Of course everyone's version of 'necessities' is different. My list of necessities does include art supplies and books for my kiddo (though I will buy most books used). My list does NOT include toys for the kiddo (he has more than most preschools now) or new clothes for me (a weakness) or things for the home that aren't absolutely needed (basic things like parchment paper which are needed).

I am feeling really positive about this.

Miaow1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Anyone else doing The Compact in 2013?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 11:23:55 AM »
I tried the compact a few years ago and found them very elitist. I do try and buy most things used. Probably 95% of things I buy I buy used. Among other things used things put no added stress on the environment. But I was turned off by the movement.

That said,however, Good Luck.

rvanmanen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 12:19:23 PM »
I've never heard of it but it doesnt sound very mustachian.. just downright depressing :(  I guess if you can do it for the year your finances should look pretty good, but at what cost to your emotional life?

WhatMomWears

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • living joie de vivre
    • What Mom Wears
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 07:08:52 PM »
I don't get why it would be depressing. Why buy something new if you don't need to? For me this is a way to curb an Amazon/clothing habit. If we have enough then isn't buying more pointless? And for someone (ahem me) who still gets tempted to buy new things, I'm hoping it is a very good way to just tell myself no. Most people on here probably have more will power than I do. Obviously if there is an emergency that's something different but I'm using this for my every day urges. I also don't see them as elitist, I love the Non-Consumer Advocate and she's been part of The Compact for years. She's probably one of the most down-to-earth people out there.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/BAY-AREA-Out-of-the-retail-rat-race-Consumer-2504601.php

gdborton

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 08:16:16 AM »
I don't get why it would be depressing.

That depends on what leeways you give yourself.  The challenge for me would mean not purchasing gas for my car, video games or movie tickets for entertainment, or the house I plan to buy in a few months.  I could certainly live without all those things for a year, but I wouldn't want to.

WhatMomWears

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • living joie de vivre
    • What Mom Wears
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 11:26:12 AM »
Well it's pretty obvious to me that gas for a car and buying your house are necessities.
You're making it over-complicated.
As to video games and movie tickets, well you get the video games used and rent the movies. Everyone has their own version of The Compact. I will definitely be seeing The Hobbit in the theater but that will be the first movie I've seen in a theater in years. As I said, it's the extraneous stuff that we don't need - the fat - that's being cut out. I feel confident/am hoping I won't be feeling deprived in any way. It seems to me it's very mustachian.

gdborton

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 11:56:35 AM »
I missed the bit where you are allowed to buy used.

Well it's pretty obvious to me that gas for a car and buying your house are necessities.

These are actually luxuries, I could continue to rent and I could walk/bike to and from places I need to buy.

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 02:34:21 PM »
You're making it over-complicated.
As to video games and movie tickets, well you get the video games used and rent the movies. Everyone has their own version of The Compact. I will definitely be seeing The Hobbit in the theater but that will be the first movie I've seen in a theater in years. As I said, it's the extraneous stuff that we don't need - the fat - that's being cut out. I feel confident/am hoping I won't be feeling deprived in any way. It seems to me it's very mustachian.

I read a few bloggers who participate in "The Compact," and this is what they tend to do.  Gas / food / movie tickets / paid for experiences are O.K., they only really exclude new, nonconsumable things.  Most also tend to continue buying things like underwear and socks new.

I don't participate, but I could see how it would be beneficial if you buy a lot of "things."

WhatMomWears

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • living joie de vivre
    • What Mom Wears
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 06:58:34 PM »
I tried the compact a few years ago and found them very elitist. I do try and buy most things used. Probably 95% of things I buy I buy used. Among other things used things put no added stress on the environment. But I was turned off by the movement.

That said,however, Good Luck.

Miaow - you got me thinking. A lot. I just wanted you to know that:

On a completely separate note, a post on the Mr. Money Mustache forum led to a response that has had me thinking. I asked who else was doing The Compact in 2013 and one respondent said that she/he found the movement 'elitist'. My immediate reaction was of wonder, 'how could a movement to stop consuming be elitist?'. Then, as per usual with me, I pondered and mulled the thought over the next day or so and they're right. The Compact movement can definitely be an elitist movement. If you have so much that you're able or willing to stop buying anything new, not out of necessity, but because it makes you feel better as a person, you want to boost your savings, to help the Earth, or, as in my case, because I need to get control of a bad habit, you're already part of an elite group. If you wave the banner and preach down to everyone about how you're NON-CONSUMING and try to make them feel guilty for what they are buying, then you my friend, are an ass. I certainly hope I never do that and if I do, my friends have the perfect right to give me a swift kick to the keister and I'm sure they will.

I'm doing The Compact for me and for my family, because I have a feeding frenzy shopping habit that, while it hasn't led to debt in many years, it is definitely putting a strain on our ability to save money for our futures or to make those 'life experiences' happen that I so desperately want.

DocCyane

• Bristles
  • Keep going. You're doing just fine.
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 08:53:13 PM »
I've done The Compact off and on at various times. I've usually had to "cheat" because something of importance broke and needed to be replaced. "Used" isn't always possible, sanitary or appropriate.

Anyway, it's not a sustainable lifestyle. It's a cold-turkey diet for someone who has plenty of "fat" to spare. I sense most Mustachians run a lean ship.

Do I find the Compact people haughty? Maybe a little. I get the sense it is the Baby Boomer/Yuppie type patting themselves on the back for using their old golf clubs one more year. I didn't feel any had ever missed a meal or needed government aid to get by. I could be wrong.

It's a good social experiment to test your ability to do without, however, especially if life has not already done you the favor.

WhatMomWears

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • living joie de vivre
    • What Mom Wears
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 08:11:39 PM »
I have a feeling that I'm not the only one on here who could use some help/motivation with trimming the fat. They're probably like me, mostly lurking until they feel comfortable piping up.

It's definitely not sustainable I agree. What I am hoping for is a shifting of priorities that I haven't been able to do otherwise. I know I need to change but haven't been able to make those changes on my own. I'm hoping The Compact helps. Plus I've told family and friends that I'm doing it, that way I have a lot of support.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!