Author Topic: Anybody know of a cheap way to ship a 300# object from Europe to USA?  (Read 2305 times)

swampwiz

• Bristles
I will be buying a "toy" from Europe, and no, it's not anything I could possibly buy in the USA; being a cheapskate in other phases in life allows me to splurge like this, so don't talk me out of it!  It is under the $2500 allowable importation so there will be no custom duty.  It will fit on a standard shipping palette.  I would love for it to be moved by truck (from Budapest) to some port that the shipping lines all use (like Koper, Slovakia or Trieste, Italy), and then put inside a container with other folks' stuff, and then have it dropped off at the major Gulf of Mexico port that is near my home (all shipping lines go to somewhere between Houston, New Orleans & Mobile), and then either trucked to my place, or I go pick it up with my station wagon right from the dock, which is within a day's round trip from any of those ports.  So far I have only called places like FedEx & UPS, and since they deal with air cargo, the price is very high. Shipping has got to be a lot cheaper, but who do I call that can organize the whole logistics from picking it up (palleted, and from a place where a truck can easily get to) and getting it to the port near my home?

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Anybody know of a cheap way to ship a 300# object from Europe to USA?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 05:09:45 PM »
Does DHL take such an item? They seem to be more prevalent world wide.  Or try this  http://www.intercargo.com/

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 01:10:30 PM »
We almost shipped some of our stuff home by sea when we moved from Germany to Canada.  The companies I talked to were in the yellow pages under some heading like "cargo shipping" or "freight handling."

Doubleh

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 02:15:46 PM »
I'd look into corporate relocations, maybe visit some expat forums. Often people relating with a corporate gig are provided with a full or half  container to take their stuff, whether they need it all or not. Presumably there must be some excess capacity available either officially through the agents looking to utilise it, or just through finding someone going the same way who would let you piggy back

larmando

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 10:30:22 AM »
If we promise we won't talk you out of it could you share the nature of the toy for the curious people?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!