Author Topic: Anybody had experience selling Christmas Trees?  (Read 2996 times)

Pleasedeletethis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Anybody had experience selling Christmas Trees?
« on: October 03, 2016, 05:50:29 PM »
Been thinking this could be a profitable seasonal side hustle, and now would be the time to ball rolling and wholesale orders placed.

Does anybody else have experience selling Christmas trees from a Christmas tree stand?

There's a pretty wealthy area nearby with a farmers market in a good location.  I'm thinking I could get $60-$100 a piece for each tree, and they're between $20 and $30 wholesale.

I'd need to do the basics of marketing, hire some high school students, get a stand set up and some signs made, make a google listing, set up a way to be paid via card, etc.

Is it worth the time and investment?
If so, is there any specific guidance you could give?
Anything I should be careful about?
How would you set it up?

Thanks in advance!

canadian bacon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Anybody had experience selling Christmas Trees?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 10:51:01 AM »
Make up the business case and see how it works out.

Don't trust other people's experience.

Make sure you work in the property rental, transportation of the trees, labor, lighting/advertising, unsold tree cost... let us know how it works out.

ohmylookatthat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 11:08:53 AM »
wouldn't the people buying the trees just get them for $20 instead?

Tiger Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 11:51:35 AM »
You'd be selling the trees at the farmers market? Do you have to rent the space? Would you be able to store inventory there? What do you do with the ones you don't sell in a reasonable amount of time? I don't see how this wouldn't be a huge headache for a side hustle.

Jmoody10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 11:54:22 AM »
I have a cousin that does this each year. I couldn't tell you much other than he has some really good years and really really bad years (especially if it is warm and dry). He does most of the work himself including picking up the trees and driving them back. I think if he factored in all of his time, it would not be as profitable.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 01:23:19 PM »
Some farmer's markets are grower only markets.  Meaning, you can't just buy stuff wholesale and sell it there; people want to be buying farm direct.  Something to consider.  And some markets are difficult to get into- they don't usually have endless space.

Other random thoughts-
Anything you don't sell is pretty worthless after 12/25.
A tree baler probably costs a good bit.

You are probably better off taking a seasonal retail position for $10/hour...

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 04:22:26 PM »
FWIW I think this is a terrible idea.

With that said, you should be able to research and copy the general strategy that I see around here.
an empty lot is rented from Oct - Dec.
they sell pumpkins until halloween and trees until xmas.

apparently, a large, inflatable slide is a must. 
all the lots have them and I'm told they charge something like $5 for 30 minutes of time to ride the slides.

do you not have these in your area?
why or why not?
maybe you can be the first.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 05:02:53 PM »
Are there other sellers of trees in the area?  Sometimes there's already a famous place or even local charities that sell trees and everyone gets their trees from them.

Could you set up a special service where you take orders & deliver?  I'd imagine the wealthy people wouldn't want to scratch up their cars.  But, the marketing might be the problem.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!