Author Topic: Any vets here? Does my dog need this test?  (Read 3285 times)

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
Any vets here? Does my dog need this test?
« on: September 23, 2017, 05:39:50 PM »
The vet is wanting to send out for an SDMA test to check her kidney function. I believe the results were 1.6 in July and 1.6 again last month. The vet said that 1.6 is the high end of normal. The issue is that about a month ago, she started experiencing incontinence. So we brought her in and they said everything was fine, and they weren’t sure why she was experiencing it. So they wanted to do the test because her levels were on the high end of normal. (Something having to do with kidney function. If you are a vet, I assume you know what I mean, but I can try to clarify if needed). Here’s the kicker, apparently either they didn’t send the blood out or the lab lost it. Either way they want to send it out again. But I’m wondering if we even need it at this point. I wasn’t sure at first but I authorized it. Now that it hasn’t even been done, I’m wondering if I can just tell them to cancel the request. I hope that all makes sense.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Any vets here? Does my dog need this test?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 05:45:36 PM »
Maybe these will help clarify the situation.

Walsh1122

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 06:37:10 PM »
Hey Slappy, veterinarian here.  I can try to help you out I just need some more information.  What age and breed is your dog?  Is she still having urinary incontinence?  If so when is it occurring? Was any treatment started?  Was a urine culture performed?

vertkurt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 06:39:30 PM »
The history is difficult to follow. I'm assuming the SDMA was originally ran because the Creatinine is on the upper end of normal and the urine is dilute(Specific gravity value). SDMA is a more specific kidney marker that can tell you earlier if the pet will have  kidney failure or if it's having a current kidney disease. If SDMA is elevated it's recommended to repeat in 2-4 weeks. if it continues to be elevated at that time then kidney disease is probable. Trust your Doc they have your pets best interest at heart.

Walsh1122

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 06:45:46 PM »
The history is difficult to follow. I'm assuming the SDMA was originally ran because the Creatinine is on the upper end of normal and the urine is dilute(Specific gravity value). SDMA is a more specific kidney marker that can tell you earlier if the pet will have  kidney failure or if it's having a current kidney disease. If SDMA is elevated it's recommended to repeat in 2-4 weeks. if it continues to be elevated at that time then kidney disease is probable. Trust your Doc they have your pets best interest at heart.

+1

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 06:48:17 PM »
Hey Slappy, veterinarian here.  I can try to help you out I just need some more information.  What age and breed is your dog?  Is she still having urinary incontinence?  If so when is it occurring? Was any treatment started?  Was a urine culture performed?

She’s about eight years old. They started her on meds for the incontinence and it seems to be working. She seems about back to normal now. Not sure if the breed because she’s a rescue. They told us she is a Shepard/retriever mix.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 06:50:30 PM »

Yes it was on the upper end of normal the last two times it was tested. I’m not sure if that qualifies as elevated. I was thinking that since it didn’t increase between the two tests (about a month apart) that was a good sign.

Walsh1122

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 07:23:09 PM »

She’s about eight years old. They started her on meds for the incontinence and it seems to be working. She seems about back to normal now. Not sure if the breed because she’s a rescue. They told us she is a Shepard/retriever mix.

Glad to hear she is on the mend.  Sounds like you have a good vet who is on the right track.  I would continue with regular follow ups.  Having serial SDMA's over time can help monitor trends, which is helpful in the long term. 

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 07:26:15 PM »
We are actually switching to another vet, not because of this test, but I’m glad to hear the test it justified. Its so hard to tell with stuff like that. I’m just a bit cranky that it’s taken three weeks just to find out the test isn’t even done yet, when it was supposed to take three days to get th results.

melanie2008

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 06:05:35 AM »
We are actually switching to another vet, not because of this test, but I’m glad to hear the test it justified. Its so hard to tell with stuff like that. I’m just a bit cranky that it’s taken three weeks just to find out the test isn’t even done yet, when it was supposed to take three days to get th results.

They measured Creatinine, which was high normal at 1.6. They have not measured SDMA yet and would like to to get a better idea of if this is renal disease. Only one lab in the US measures SDMA. They cannot measure it in house and Banfield does not use this lab so they do not automatically order it. MANY practices in the US do not use this lab. This is why they need a new sample. The vet or the lab did NOT lose the sample. The vet got the results and decided they wanted to further diagnostics. To do this, they need a new sample to send to a different lab. I don't think you vet has made a mistake or anything.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 06:41:36 AM »

They measured Creatinine, which was high normal at 1.6. They have not measured SDMA yet and would like to to get a better idea of if this is renal disease. Only one lab in the US measures SDMA. They cannot measure it in house and Banfield does not use this lab so they do not automatically order it. MANY practices in the US do not use this lab. This is why they need a new sample. The vet or the lab did NOT lose the sample. The vet got the results and decided they wanted to further diagnostics. To do this, they need a new sample to send to a different lab. I don't think you vet has made a mistake or anything.

They actually told us that it was lost. They said they weren't sure if it was an error on their end or the lab, but that the lab had no record of the test. So this is this second time they will send it out for the SDMA.  Of course, they are not charging us a second time, since the test actually wasn't completed the first time. The first time, they took the sample and "sent it out". They said it took three days for results. I called about 6 business days later and was told that the reason they hadn't called with the results was because the vet who ordered the test was out of the office until the following Tuesday. I asked about the results and the person told me she would check with the vet that was there and give me a call back. She never called back. Also, the following Tuesday came and went. She had an appointment scheduled for Sunday morning (5 days after the other vet was supposed to be back in the office.) On Saturday evening (around 7 pm) I got a call saying that we needed to bring her in for another sample because of the above mentioned issue. I reminded them she had an appointment the next day anyway so they could get it then. That was yesterday, so I assume they will send it out today and we will hear back by the end of the end.

Also, the creatine was high normal twice in a row (a month apart). My thought as a non-vet (or any other doctor) is that if it didn't got up, that was a good thing. But I'm sure I will feel better when we get the final results.

This is the not the overall reason we are looking to switch vets. We have been less than satisfied for the past couple of years. Mainly because my dog absolutely hates the place. I know its normal for dogs to hate the vet, but they don't seem to handle it well.  They just complain that she is agressive. She is not an agressive dog, but when they are poking her in the butt, what do they expect. I'd get quite agressive if someone poked me in the ass the way to do to her. We try to hold her to make it easier for them, but they still complain. Also, they always take her out back to do anything with her. So she's already anxious and then they take her away from  us. My husband seems to think they might be a bit rough with her. Who knows if that is case, but he really wants to switch vets.