Author Topic: Any Toastmasters out there?  (Read 4903 times)

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
Any Toastmasters out there?
« on: September 26, 2014, 07:29:32 AM »
This has been one of my on/off again areas for improvement. I think my work would pay for it, just wondering if anyone's gone through something like it and whether it was valuable or not! I don't' want to do it if it's just junk (even if it's free).

Boz86

• Stubble
Re: Any Toastmasters out there?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 07:39:22 AM »
I did it back in my earlier career days, and I've heard senior military leadership advise doing it.

Much of it will depend on the specific club as the format depends on both speaking and critiquing.

IMHO, it's a great way to practice in front of others trying to learn with you. Speaking takes practice and that's where TM excels. And it can reinforce what you pick up elsewhere (net, books, etc).

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 09:54:15 AM »
I've done it and it's fantastic. Highly worthwhile.

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 10:28:59 AM »
I did toastmasters, taught college courses, taught high school, have spoken in front of hundreds at a time.  Yet, I'm still terrified to speak in front of people.  The funny thing is everyone says I looked so relaxed when public speaking.  Terrified inside, but smooth on the outside I guess.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 11:13:32 AM »
I did toastmasters, taught college courses, taught high school, have spoken in front of hundreds at a time.  Yet, I'm still terrified to speak in front of people.  The funny thing is everyone says I looked so relaxed when public speaking.  Terrified inside, but smooth on the outside I guess.

*Insert Bruce Lee water quote here*

RiskDown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 11:26:18 AM »
I've heard it's extremely valuable, especially for introverts...

Two schools of thoughts on this matter... 1) Challenge yourself for growth VS. 2) doing something you are naturally good at...

I see a scale with sand on both sides... If you put too much sand in the challenge yourself for growth side, you are more likely to lead yourself down a sub-optimal career path... if you put too much sand in doing something you are naturally good at, you could be more likely to limit your options. 

* RiskDown personally, I'm an antisocial bastard, who has zero interest in feigning it... and too much sand in #2, which is going to hurt me career wise... but oh well.   

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 11:43:48 AM »
I just started. You can go to an open meeting to try out a club and see what they do. I've heard that different clubs do things differently, so if you don't like the first club you go to, try some others. Guests are free, but membership does cost money, but it's quite reasonable.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 12:21:43 PM »
I've been doing it for 8 years and it's highly valuable.  Luckily, my company subsidizes it so its $24 a year plus we get free lunches twice a month! 

But, even without subsidy, it's pretty cheap for the benefits. 

It is what you make it.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 12:46:21 PM »
You guys have talked me into it. I feel like public speaking (or really just speaking with confidence in general, even if it's in a meeting) is one of those skills that really translates to any job.

Supertaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 04:58:22 PM »
I've though about doing this from time to time. But does it really help with one-to-one communication? I feel like I'm fairly comfortable speaking to an audience, it's just when I'm speaking to individual people that I'm a nervous wreck.

strongmag

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 05:38:14 PM »
Hope you enjoy it eyePod! I have been a member for about a year and a half - company sponsored! I've seen improvement in my public speaking and it has been a plus at my work - I was picked to lead some large training sessions and my boss heard rave reviews. I started because of some verbal tics and, if nothing else, it helps to make me more conscious of my speech. Hope it does the same for you - make sure you request a mentor to help you along for the first few months.