Author Topic: Any Salesforce experts out there? How long does it take to learn?  (Read 1822 times)

slb59

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Google hasn't been a huge help, but there are so many tech-y people on this forum I figured I'd try here. Trying to get an idea of how long it might take me to get to where my company wants me to be on Salesforce.

We use Salesforce for one of our clients to manage data and interact with some end users in a Community. There is another company that does all of their development work, but we do things like add and remove fields, manage the data, create reports (SO MANY REPORTS), work with the client to figure out what business needs Salesforce can meet, and do things like business requirements and project management for those needs.

We've been looking to hire a Salesforce expert for probably two years, but everyone who applies is either a developer with no interest in business or someone who knows a little about the platform but wants to be a developer. There is zero development and a lot of business knowledge needed for this position.

After the last round of interviews, my boss reached out to me and asked if I'd be interested in learning Salesforce - they'd train me (on company time and with company money) on Salesforce rather than having to teach a developer/tech person the business end of things. It could be pretty awesome since I enjoy this kind of work and have been toying with starting a business in a couple of years that might find Salesforce really useful.

I'm supposed to get back to them and let them know if I want to do it and how long I think it'll take me to get to where I can readily say in meetings "Salesforce can do x, but we'll need y and it'll take z long", QA the developers work, and manage all the data migration, user setup, and report creation work. I'm thinking a month on Trailblazer to do a bunch of intro modules and a couple projects, then take the weeklong admin certification prep course and I'll be there. Is that crazy optimistic?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:33:52 AM by slb59 »

brute

• Pencil Stache
Re: Any Salesforce experts out there? How long does it take to learn?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 07:34:53 AM »
My brother became salesforce certified within a couple months. It seemed like a pretty easy process to get up and running with it.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
Re: Any Salesforce experts out there? How long does it take to learn?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 10:15:34 AM »
Google hasn't been a huge help, but there are so many tech-y people on this forum I figured I'd try here. Trying to get an idea of how long it might take me to get to where my company wants me to be on Salesforce.

We use Salesforce for one of our clients to manage data and interact with some end users in a Community. There is another company that does all of their development work, but we do things like add and remove fields, manage the data, create reports (SO MANY REPORTS), work with the client to figure out what business needs Salesforce can meet, and do things like business requirements and project management for those needs.

We've been looking to hire a Salesforce expert for probably two years, but everyone who applies is either a developer with no interest in business or someone who knows a little about the platform but wants to be a developer. There is zero development and a lot of business knowledge needed for this position.

After the last round of interviews, my boss reached out to me and asked if I'd be interested in learning Salesforce - they'd train me (on company time and with company money) on Salesforce rather than having to teach a developer/tech person the business end of things. It could be pretty awesome since I enjoy this kind of work and have been toying with starting a business in a couple of years that might find Salesforce really useful.

I'm supposed to get back to them and let them know if I want to do it and how long I think it'll take me to get to where I can readily say in meetings "Salesforce can do x, but we'll need y and it'll take z long", QA the developers work, and manage all the data migration, user setup, and report creation work. I'm thinking a month on Trailblazer to do a bunch of intro modules and a couple projects, then take the weeklong admin certification prep course and I'll be there. Is that crazy optimistic?

I am the Salesforce administrator in our work, as of a few months ago, along with many other tasks!! Trailhead is a great place to learn SF.

If you get the SF certified administrator creditiation you are instantly worth more money. I plan to get that ASAP.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 10:23:53 AM by Zola. »