Author Topic: Any recommendations for kitchen appliances (to fry food)?  (Read 2665 times)

dontwannaworkforever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Any recommendations for kitchen appliances (to fry food)?
« on: March 02, 2016, 11:19:07 AM »
I turned off my oven because it is old and draws a lot of electrical power. I am saving quite a bit of money just by not using it and having it turned off.

Turning off my oven was motivated by my thread here that I am still pursuing
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/challenge-get-your-electricity-bill-under-$100/

The only appliances I have are a microwave and my crockpot which I use about every single day but slow cooking is getting old. I have a propane grill outside but I don't wish to cook outside all the time.

Any energy efficient recommendations? I just need something strong enough to fry oil and maybe boil water that doesn't draw a lot of power but also reliable but I'm not sure where to look. I'm just browsing Amazon and nothing really stands out.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 11:20:47 AM by dontwannaworkforever »

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
Re: Any recommendations for kitchen appliances (to fry food)?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 01:02:55 PM »
Why not plug in your oven when you want to use it? Did you get rid of it entirely?

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 01:13:21 PM »
You can fry with a microwave you know.

You will need a cooking vessel designed to do so, if you don't have one.

There is no magic appliance that somehow uses dramatically less watts to raise the temperature of the pan, oil and food to the cooking temperature.

Not that you would believe that if you rely on the advertisements for this stuff

Lkxe

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 01:15:59 PM »
Single induction plate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 03:03:26 PM »
There is no magic appliance that somehow uses dramatically less watts to raise the temperature of the pan, oil and food to the cooking temperature.
Actually, there is. Induction cooking using the power of magentism to more efficiently cook food. It heats the pan, which heats the oil/food, instead of heating an element which heats the pan which heats the oil/food.

Induction is approximately 90% efficient, vs. electric (55%) and gas (50%). Source: http://sustainablog.org/2014/07/energy-efficient-induction-cooking/

I knew this because I recently looked up some info on induction cooking, wife was interested in them for our new house purchase. We'll probably just deal with the 20 year old electric that comes with the property... it might take a long time to recover $ spent on an induction range in terms of energy expense.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 03:21:28 PM »
Does your oven have a stove top? Can you not use the stove top without using the oven?  Does it draw electricity when not powered on? 

They make electric griddles that are flat or electric frying pans with high sides. Starting my price around $20US. I haven't looked at energy efficiency. 

There are single burner element units too, thought they are pretty inefficient.

dontwannaworkforever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 08:31:23 PM »
Does your oven have a stove top? Can you not use the stove top without using the oven?  Does it draw electricity when not powered on? 

They make electric griddles that are flat or electric frying pans with high sides. Starting my price around $20US. I haven't looked at energy efficiency. 

There are single burner element units too, thought they are pretty inefficient.

Yes my oven draws electricity when not on so that is why I shut it off. I wish I could use just my stove top without the oven turning on...