Author Topic: Any recommendations for a quality single person backpacking tent?  (Read 6606 times)

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
I am going on a camping trip with some buddies in September. We will be road tripping through the north and south west and staying in camgrounds and parks for the nights. I plan to keep and use this tent more in the future, so I want a legitimate high quality option, not walmart crap.

I'd like a few different suggestions that for tents that fit the following criteria:

- Single person
- quality, not ozark trail
- small/light enough to be carried while backpacking

various price ranges are ok. It doesnt have to be $50 , but im not paying $500 for  tent either. Any of you guys have one that you can recommend? Thanks in advance.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
Re: Any recommendations for a quality single person backpacking tent?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 10:37:06 PM »
Check out the forums at Backpackinglight.com

But there are plenty of quality tents out there. Just depends how light you want to go.

If you want something to be versatile, light, strong, last forever, look at say a Silnylon mid, and inner with Silnylon floor. You'll probably never wear it out unless you use it every night for a couple of years straight. Not much to go wrong. Simple to repair if it does. They tend to hold their value on the 2ndhand market as well if you want to sell and upgrade to a larger tent, etc, later on.

Try Mountain Laurel Designs Solomid + Inner
Or the MLD Cricket tent-this is a unique design, no zipper on the tent, but its quite a versatile and bombproof shelter. Handles high winds and snow no problem (as does the larger version, the trailstar). Slightly harder to pitch than a four sided mid but you get used to it. Cheaper than Mid option.

Or for cheaper again, but not as good for inclement (high winds, snow) conditions get a rectangular tarp and bug net.

All these options require a pole of some sort-most hikers these days use trekking poles for that. You can buy seperate poles though if you don't use trekking poles at all.

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 10:47:00 PM »
Thanks, I'll check them out.

EDIT. Very interesting designs, but I think I'm looking for more of a fully enclosed standard solo tent. These are an option though, thanks.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 10:54:30 PM by The Money Monk »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 01:53:25 AM »
A friend of mine really likes her Swag... they look kinda cool too :)

Cottonswab

• Stubble
  • Occasional Advice Dispensary
    • My Journal
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 02:45:28 AM »
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/tents is another good resource.

Hikergirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 07:41:10 AM »
Look at REI's 2 man tents.  I bought one a couple of years ago and love it.  It has enough room for me, the dog and my pack in a rainstorm.  Great quality, decent price and after 2 years of use I haven't had any issues or complaints.  I also have a full hammock set-up (hammock, tarp, bug net, quilt) that I have used the last several times I have been out and love that as well.  Just depends on if you are going to be sleeping in an area with lots of trees or not.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 07:56:30 AM »
Look at ... 2 man tents. I bought one a couple of years ago and love it.  It has enough room for me, the dog and my pack in a rainstorm. 
This.  While it doesn't have to be an REI tent per se, Unless you are embarking on some serious 'go-light/minimalist' backcountry camping I'd look closely at so-called two-person tents.  I did solo section hikes of the AT with an REI Half-Dome (great tent! Hard to find something that light and robust for under $200 and <5lbs). The extra ~1lb between super-small 1-person tents and a 2-person model was worth having twice the floor space. For example,  I could bring my pack inside the tent and actually spread things out to dry and re-organize, and three people could play a game of cards inside during rainy weather.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 08:30:04 AM »
REI generally has a great Outlet selection.  Check it out for models that are being discontinued.

https://www.rei.com/outlet

Aminul

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 09:17:12 AM »
I have an Easton Rimrock 1 that has served me well the past year.  It was not much more than $100 when I bought it.  3lbs, easy to setup, and decent quality.  I bought it from www.steepandcheap.com.

A tip for when you pack your tent in your backpack -- don't use the stuff sack.  I keep the tent poles in a different part of my pack than the tent/fly. 

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 09:26:56 AM »
I would have a different tent for road tripping.   Why not have a few more creature comforts since you're not packing it on your back?   
At least 9'x9' floor area and tall enough to stand up in.   I'd also have a cot and a chair in there.   So much nicer dressing / undressing when you can stand up or sit in a chair vs crawling around.  Could also cook and hang out more comfortably on a rain day.

Brokenreign

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 09:40:38 AM »
I have an Easton Rimrock 1 that has served me well the past year.  It was not much more than $100 when I bought it.  3lbs, easy to setup, and decent quality.  I bought it from www.steepandcheap.com.

A tip for when you pack your tent in your backpack -- don't use the stuff sack.  I keep the tent poles in a different part of my pack than the tent/fly.

I have this tent too. Great value and lightish (3 lb) I think. It's quick to set up, breaths well and is good in wind and rain. Pretty roomy for 1 person too.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 09:43:36 AM »
I would have a different tent for road tripping.   Why not have a few more creature comforts since you're not packing it on your back?   
At least 9'x9' floor area and tall enough to stand up in.   I'd also have a cot and a chair in there.   So much nicer dressing / undressing when you can stand up or sit in a chair vs crawling around.  Could also cook and hang out more comfortably on a rain day.
Good point.  We have a tent dedicated to car-camping/vehicle-assessable field sites when weight really isn't an issue, and backpacking tents when we're going to schlep the tent on our back for several miles before pitching it in a remote location.

miked

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 09:47:45 AM »
Check out tarptents. My wife and I have put over 6 months of nights in the Double Rainbow and love it. It's meant to be very light, so it's single walled, but has worked out great for us. The zippers and seams are all holding up well. We used it for a thru-hike of the PCT and some other backpacking trips.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 10:30:41 AM »
Check out tarptents. My wife and I have put over 6 months of nights in the Double Rainbow and love it. It's meant to be very light, so it's single walled, but has worked out great for us. The zippers and seams are all holding up well. We used it for a thru-hike of the PCT and some other backpacking trips.

I have a Tarptent Motrail and have been pretty happy with it. I got a 2-person even though most of the time I only need a 1-person (my husband is a hammock camper). This is because the MoTrail 2-person was only a few ounces heavier than the Pro-Trail 1-person, and this way I have extra space for my pack, to change clothes (going backpacking on the JMT later this summer with only dudes), and to have space for a second person if needed (a friend might join us for a few days, my husband might not be able to find a suitable hammock spot a couple nights, etc.). It's very light, and I can even leave the poles at home and use my trekking poles if I want.

Aminul

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 10:55:30 AM »
I missed the road-tripping part in the original post.  Depending on how often/long you are backpacking, you may want to consider a lighter 2-3 person tent. 

My other tent is an Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 3, which is perfect for two people.  It comes in around 5lbs, so nobody is going to mistake it for being ultralight, but if you have someone to share the weight of other items it really isn't that bad on the trail.  And it's a great tent for car camping!  It certainly provides more space and comfort than a one person tent.  A tent similar to this can be had for under $150.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 11:25:33 AM »
I missed the road-tripping part in the original post.  Depending on how often/long you are backpacking, you may want to consider a lighter 2-3 person tent. 

My other tent is an Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 3, which is perfect for two people.  It comes in around 5lbs, so nobody is going to mistake it for being ultralight, but if you have someone to share the weight of other items it really isn't that bad on the trail....

Side bar:  It's pretty telling how far camping gear has come that we now say things like "at 5 lbs nobody is going to mistake this 2 person tent for an ultralight." 20 years ago the very lightest 2-person tents came just under the 5lb mark. Today they're considered on the heavy side (or "robust" in marketing speak).

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 12:56:41 PM »
I'll throw my recommendation into the mix, as I've backpacked a fair bit and love the Six Moon Trekker - 24 oz, single walled, tarp tent.  I'm only 5' 2", so there's lots of space for me, including my pack if needed.    I just change my sleeping bag if I want more/less warmth.  I still may consider getting a stand-along type tent, but they're def heavier, and my pint size means that I really need to pay attention to the weight of the pack.

My friend is 6' 2" and he says for him it is a bit tight (has almost same model) and his toes get wet if there is condensation, so depending on your size, this is something to consider for any tent.

Have fun!!

(and I seriously think we need an MMM backpack meet-up!)

Kapiira

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 01:14:15 PM »
I would recommend looking at REI tents also.  They tend to offer really good value.  The Passage 1 or 2 are very reasonably priced ($140-$160) and both are light enough to consider bringing on a backpacking trip.  I've had numerous car camping and backpacking REI tents and have always been happy with them.

zoltani

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 01:55:41 PM »
I recently picked up the MSR freelite 2 tent. It is roomy for 1 and tight for two. It is at the upper end of your price range, but I used a 20% off coupon at REI or backcountry.com to get it. I think having a 2-person tent is nice even if you are just 1. When backpacking with other you usually share and split gear to reduce overall weight, so having a 1-person tent is not an advantage here. For a solo trip this tent is light enough to carry alone. 

As with most lightweight stuff there is a compromise on the materials, they will not be as durable as heavier tents. It is worth it to me to not have so much weight on my back.

That tent would be for backpacking. For car camping I prefer to use a cheaper and more heavy duty tent so that I do not wear out my light weight tent too fast. Any tent from REI outlet around $100 will work.

lightmyfire

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 03:52:46 PM »
I highly recommend the Eureka Solitaire. It's affordable, high quality, super easy to pitch even in the pouring rain, and very lightweight. You don't get much head room, but I'm able to fit in there with my 50 lb dog and sleep comfortably. https://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Solitaire-Tent-sleeps-1/dp/B000EQCVNY

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2016, 04:23:30 PM »
Good point.  We have a tent dedicated to car-camping/vehicle-assessable field sites when weight really isn't an issue, and backpacking tents when we're going to schlep the tent on our back for several miles before pitching it in a remote location.

Agreed. When car camping or going on shorter treks, I take my REI Half Dome+ (a whopping 6 pounds that I am not carrying on my back for more than 7-10 miles).

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2016, 10:19:26 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys!

I didn't check the thread for a couple days and was very pleased to see so many recommendations. I definitely have a great starting place for research. I'll try to remember to update this thread after my trip to let you all know what I got and how it worked.

BigHaus89

• Stubble
  • Ride the Spiral to the End
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2016, 10:27:26 AM »
I really enjoy my Big Agnes tent. It is very light, very quick to set up and it didn't cost much. You can usually find them pretty cheap on discount sites. Steepandcheap, backcountry, theclymb, etc.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2016, 10:54:19 AM »
I've been very happy with my Mountain Hardware tents over the years. High quality, durable, lightweight, perfect for backpacking. Very dependable brand.

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2016, 07:07:41 PM »
My advice is to buy a 2-person tent for 1 person or a 3-person tent for 2 people. It's super-nice to have the extra space to stretch out and for your gear if you want to bring it in.

This is a sturdy, amazing Cadillac tent: Hilleberg Anjan 2 http://amzn.to/2ay0uqk but it's short and not tall enough for my 5'10' husband to sit up in :(

So we traded it for the Big Agnes Copper Spur and bought a Tyvek footprint. It's awesome. http://amzn.to/2ayKs5I

Here are a few tricks for getting great deals, but also check out Craigslist if you're in an outdoorsy city or GearTrade. http://choosebetterlife.com/shop-like-ninja

There's also a backpacking gear list at the end of this post http://www.choosebetterlife.com/prescott-circle-trail/ if you need more ideas. The backcountry bed is amazing! I got it for half price on ebay. http://amzn.to/2ayKhrb

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2016, 07:14:53 PM »
I have a zpacks hexamid solo with no floor, and I looove that little thing. It is so light I don't even bother taking it out of the pocket for day trips.

Brokenreign

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2016, 06:18:50 AM »
I have a zpacks hexamid solo with no floor, and I looove that little thing. It is so light I don't even bother taking it out of the pocket for day trips.

Yeah that one is definitely the best ultralight single-wall tent that I've seen. My friend brought one out backpacking a few weeks ago. It seems to be really well made and had a ton of usable space inside. It was his first time using it and it still took less than 5 min to set up. Expensive though!

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2016, 10:28:29 PM »

Yeah that one is definitely the best ultralight single-wall tent that I've seen. My friend brought one out backpacking a few weeks ago. It seems to be really well made and had a ton of usable space inside. It was his first time using it and it still took less than 5 min to set up. Expensive though!
Yeah it is now. When I bought it is was less than half the current price.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2016, 06:02:30 AM »
Def get a 2 man UL. I had MSR and Marmot 1 person tents, and they were really tight imo.