Author Topic: Any post-FI blogs out there?  (Read 8625 times)

mechanic baird

• Stubble
Any post-FI blogs out there?
« on: August 20, 2012, 12:48:14 PM »
Hey, just want to see if anyone knows any blogs that talk about life after achieving FI?

I made some adjustment and may pull the trigger sooner than I expected. So just curious... Thank you

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Any post-FI blogs out there?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 04:58:18 PM »
Here are a few where the writers are all post FI, so much discussion is on FI, but also some on after FI:
MMM
JLCollins
ERE
The early-retirement.org forums are great for post FI discussion.

There are more, but my mind is blanking.  May edit when I get home.

Another option is retired people blogs (maybe expat blogs, for example, or retired and traveling blogs.)

In most cases, post FI life should revolve around whatever your passions are, or how you will be spending your time.

For example, if you have a kid and are spending time at home, maybe stay at home or other parenting blogs.  If you are into sailing, there's lots of those blogs.  Or knitting, or carpentry, or jazz playing.  Whatever your thing is, search out blogs on that topic... Not necessarily blogs on "post FI life."

IMO.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

NestEggChick (formerly PFgal)

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 05:46:59 PM »
arebelspy already mentioned my favorites, so I'll just chime in with the urls:
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/
http://jlcollinsnh.wordpress.com/

mechanic baird

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 12:25:32 PM »
Here are a few where the writers are all post FI, so much discussion is on FI, but also some on after FI:
MMM
JLCollins
ERE

There are more, but my mind is blanking.  May edit when I get home.

Another option is retired people blogs (maybe expat blogs, for example, or retired and traveling blogs.)

In most cases, post FI life should revolve around whatever your passions are, or how you will be spending your time.

For example, if you have a kid and are spending time at home, maybe stay at home or other parenting blogs.  If you are into sailing, there's lots of those blogs.  Or knitting, or carpentry, or jazz playing.  Whatever your thing is, search out blogs on that topic... Not necessarily blogs on "post FI life."

IMO.

Didn't know JL Collins have already reached post FI...
Been reading all old MMM posts since he and ERE are the only two blogs I came across..
Thanks guys..

I thought about what I would do after hitting FI a lot. Years ago, I actually pulled the trigger, left corp world and started doing whatever i wanted.. It didn't end well. The lack of time management and organization drove me off the cliff.. I didn't know whether it was Monday or Sat, 4pm or 10am.. It was a mess.. I lasted a year only. I was single at that time

Having family obviously changed everything and I needed more money to support a family. But I am getting close... Having a nice stash accumulated in my 20's helped and my partner is not a wasteful being. So that helped too...

I am thinking about doing more Colorado sports (I am a rock climber and snowboarder),  pick up my old hobby and build some more maps for the games that have open engine like Unreal. Pay some more attention to investment.. run a bit more, learn to make some ass kicking dishes, grow a garden..

I think I have much better grasp now than last time how to plan for a post FI life...  You always grow wiser as you age I guess...

Thx guys

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 06:43:49 AM »
Its not ERE/MMM style but at present I'm enjoying:
http://retiredsyd.typepad.com/
There are a lot of links in the blog to other sites, haven't explored them but some might be useful.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 11:23:20 AM »
MMM
JLCollins
ERE
*Ahem.*

And besides me there's:
Darrow Kirkpatrick at CanIRetireYet (http://www.caniretireyet.com/)
Todd Tressider at Financial Mentor (http://financialmentor.com/)
Bob Lowry at Satisfying Retirement (http://satisfyingretirement.blogspot.com/)
Glenn & Dixie at Vagabondians (E-R.org poster Dixonge) (http://vagabondians.com/)
Billy & Akaisha Kaderli at RetireEarlyLifestyle (http://retireearlylifestyle.com/)
Paul & Vicki Terhorst (https://sites.google.com/site/paulvicgroup/)
Jason Hull at Hull Financial Planning (http://www.hullfinancialplanning.com/)
... and technically J.D. Roth qualifies:  http://www.getrichslowly.org/

Sydney Lagier has one of the most thoughtful "What will we DO all day?!?" blogs that I've ever read.  Maybe that's because she's one of the very few women posting about retirement.  Akaisha & Vicki also do a great job with their half of the shared bandwidth.

Darrow and I are talking about a "Geezer blogger" group for next week's FINCON12.  But I have to admit that "Post FI blogger" sounds much more professional...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 03:50:45 PM by Nords »

mechanic baird

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 01:35:04 PM »
Thanks guys.
Wow Nords, you've got a lot of resources.. exciting!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 05:40:16 PM »
Good list Nords, thanks.

I'd nitpick on a few (I don't think JD Roth is FI, but I may be wrong.. Dixonge is debatable as well, but I'd better not say more, lest I get accused of being a member of the Internet Retirement Police, which I'm not, I swear).

And I don't consider your blog post FI, more like Military Retirement advice (and lots of other miscellaneous math stuff). Then again, I probably don't read it enough.  Cause you don't pimp yourself enough on the e-r forums.  I always read the ones that get linked there. 

All of your post FI stuff is bragging about how awesome the surf is to us poor schmoes workin for the man.  ;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 07:09:06 PM »
Good list Nords, thanks.
I'd nitpick on a few (I don't think JD Roth is FI, but I may be wrong.. Dixonge is debatable as well, but I'd better not say more, lest I get accused of being a member of the Internet Retirement Police, which I'm not, I swear).
J.D. hasn't really said either way, but he sure got a honkin' big pile of cash for his blog from Quinstreet. 

I think Dixonge has managed to patch together a lifestyle somewhere among Jacob Lund Fisker, the Kaderlis, and MMM.  Low-cost economy, side-hustle income, extremely frugal living.  Like Bob Dylan said, "What's money?  A man is a success if he can get up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."

And, hey, he had the guts to post about his options-trading strategy and his recovery from that.  He could've just faded away and started posting under a pseudonym.

And I don't consider your blog post FI, more like Military Retirement advice (and lots of other miscellaneous math stuff). Then again, I probably don't read it enough.  Cause you don't pimp yourself enough on the e-r forums.  I always read the ones that get linked there. 
The blog has possibly the world's most boring title, but "Military Retirement & Financial Independence" has Google all excited about the page ranking.  And just about every post has the SEO phrase "financial independence".  (Just like MMM has locked up "badassity".)  It's actually a step in my post-writing checklist.

I try not to post too many blog links at E-R.org.  The moderators and I share a cordial but occasionally contentious relationship, and I'm reluctant to give them anything that might cause one of them to hold a grudge.

All of your post FI stuff is bragging about how awesome the surf is to us poor schmoes workin for the man.  ;)
You're just a plane ticket away!  Send me a PM when you're ready for a surf lesson.

But, considering your current feelings on the subject-- you'd better not read the blog post that I have loaded up for Labor Day.  Not even if you hear a rumor that its title is "Lifestyles in Hawaii: Naked on the beach"...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 08:08:33 PM »
But, considering your current feelings on the subject

Oh don't get me wrong, I enjoy the surfing mentions.  I don't have enough FI role models, so hearing about an enviable "What will you do all day?" answer is all the more motivation.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 08:19:31 PM »
Oh don't get me wrong, I enjoy the surfing mentions.  I don't have enough FI role models, so hearing about an enviable "What will you do all day?" answer is all the more motivation.
Whew, what a relief.

Because I gave a surfing lesson this morning to a woman who's coping with chronic anxiety attacks when she's on the water.  Today, however, she dealt with it just fine and managed to stand up on her last ride.  She was in the water for at least an hour, and she kept paddling back out for more.  It's taken us a half-dozen lessons over the last 15 months for her to hit this milestone.

She's stoked and can't wait to do it again!

Miyazaki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 09:14:13 AM »
There's also MikeBOS at lackingambition.com. He doesn't post very often, but if you go back to the very beginning, you can read all about the pre-FI into the post-FI. It's really interesting.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 02:58:14 PM »
That's a good one Miyazaki.  I have read all his posts from the beginning, and enjoy whenever he posts.

I don't consider him quite post-FI yet, as he's still working on finishing a few last rentals to have the income stream to cover his expenses.  But he is 90% there (and his job, a night job where he mostly does what he wants, such as reading, is awesome), and well worth reading either way.

He's very much towards the Jacob (ERE) end of the spectrum in terms of spending.

menorman

• Stubble
    • Marven's Money Musings
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 11:05:08 PM »
Len Penzo seems to suggest that he is, although I haven't read all of his posts to verify for sure. He'll be at FinCon12, someone should take him to task on it if they have doubts.

Vicki Robin apparently still posts updates about YMOYL topics and considering the book, I assume she's FI.

There's a site of early retirement articles and information going back to 1996, seems to be a collection of journeys more than one person's journey.

Both the millionaire nurse and teacher have sites, though they seem to be more geared toward selling speaking engagements.

Doug Nordman has a blog and will apparently also be at FinCon12. He wrote a FI/RE book specifically geared toward service members that I literally just finished reading yesterday. It really isn't a bad book at all, and since it was published in May of last year, the stuff is still relevant. He really did his homework for this book, and that's definitely evident in the treasure trove of information given in the appendices. He even has a link to ERE in there.

Last, but certainly not least, Paul Terhorst. He keeps a blog to update us on his travels, which he's been doing for what must be about 30 years now. Much like Joe Dominguez, he worked in the finance industry and was one of the very first to realize how to actually play the game and win. I'll wager that even many Mustachians probably haven't heard of his book, but it was definitely one of Amazon's better suggestions. However, his book was written about 20 years ago (around same time as first run of YMOYL), so quite a few facts of life then are now different.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 12:02:05 AM »
There's a site of early retirement articles and information going back to 1996, seems to be a collection of journeys more than one person's journey.
John Greaney is one of the pioneer ERs of the 1990s.  He retired at the age of 38 and was a frequent poster on The Motley Fool's "Retire Early" forum.  When The Fool started charging for access, he led the stampede over to his site.  One of his ER spreadsheets was converted by another poster, Dory36, into FIRECalc v1.0.

John only posts a few times a year and has largely dropped out of the discussion boards.  (I had to set an alert to notify me when he puts up his irregular posts.)  His site's forum is also moribund, although he posts there once in a great while.

Doug Nordman has a blog and will apparently also be at FinCon12. He wrote a FI/RE book specifically geared toward service members that I literally just finished reading yesterday. It really isn't a bad book at all, and since it was published in May of last year, the stuff is still relevant. He really did his homework for this book, and that's definitely evident in the treasure trove of information given in the appendices. He even has a link to ERE in there.
Thanks!  We wrote the first edition with the contributions of over 60 servicemembers & veterans.  Billy & Akaisha Kaderli taught me a lot from their eBook & website.  Even Bob Clyatt helped shred the first draft, and all the contributors proofread the chapters of the second draft. 

I'm getting on the plane tomorrow night and I'll be at the Denver Grand Hyatt on Thursday afternoon-- hopefully before 3:30 PM.  The first 12 people to see me will get a free copy of the book.  I'll be the middle-aged balding surfer wearing an aloha shirt and a ponytail.

I'm working on the new chapters of the second edition, and of course the entire text of the first edition could use a refresh.  Feel free to send me your thoughts.

BTW Bob Clyatt is post-FI, but he's not exactly blogging.  Instead he's working with naked women all day:  http://www.clyattsculpture.com/

Last, but certainly not least, Paul Terhorst. He keeps a blog to update us on his travels, which he's been doing for what must be about 30 years now. Much like Joe Dominguez, he worked in the finance industry and was one of the very first to realize how to actually play the game and win. I'll wager that even many Mustachians probably haven't heard of his book, but it was definitely one of Amazon's better suggestions. However, his book was written about 20 years ago (around same time as first run of YMOYL), so quite a few facts of life then are now different.
I found Paul's "Retire at 35" when I was 40 years old, and my first thought was "Damn, I'm five years behind!"  Back when he wrote the book, Paul was keeping all their investments in CDs.  Today they've moved to a more typical collection of index funds.

I liked his story of his "ER epiphany" during a career day when one of the kids asked exactly what he did all day at KPMG.  When Paul realized that he spent most of his day talking on the phone and going to meetings, suddenly ER seemed like a much better idea.

They built a house and settled down about 6-8 years ago, but apparently the wanderlust caught back up with them.  They've sold the place and started traveling again.

menorman

• Stubble
    • Marven's Money Musings
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
John Greaney is one of the pioneer ERs of the 1990s.  He retired at the age of 38 and was a frequent poster on The Motley Fool's "Retire Early" forum.  When The Fool started charging for access, he led the stampede over to his site.  One of his ER spreadsheets was converted by another poster, Dory36, into FIRECalc v1.0.

John only posts a few times a year and has largely dropped out of the discussion boards.  (I had to set an alert to notify me when he puts up his irregular posts.)  His site's forum is also moribund, although he posts there once in a great while.

Thanks!  We wrote the first edition with the contributions of over 60 servicemembers & veterans.  Billy & Akaisha Kaderli taught me a lot from their eBook & website.  Even Bob Clyatt helped shred the first draft, and all the contributors proofread the chapters of the second draft. 

I'm getting on the plane tomorrow night and I'll be at the Denver Grand Hyatt on Thursday afternoon-- hopefully before 3:30 PM.  The first 12 people to see me will get a free copy of the book.  I'll be the middle-aged balding surfer wearing an aloha shirt and a ponytail.

I'm working on the new chapters of the second edition, and of course the entire text of the first edition could use a refresh.  Feel free to send me your thoughts.

BTW Bob Clyatt is post-FI, but he's not exactly blogging.  Instead he's working with naked women all day:  http://www.clyattsculpture.com/

I found Paul's "Retire at 35" when I was 40 years old, and my first thought was "Damn, I'm five years behind!"  Back when he wrote the book, Paul was keeping all their investments in CDs.  Today they've moved to a more typical collection of index funds.

I liked his story of his "ER epiphany" during a career day when one of the kids asked exactly what he did all day at KPMG.  When Paul realized that he spent most of his day talking on the phone and going to meetings, suddenly ER seemed like a much better idea.

They built a house and settled down about 6-8 years ago, but apparently the wanderlust caught back up with them.  They've sold the place and started traveling again.

Ahh, okay, now I'm more clear on the retireearlyhomepage website. Since, as I said, I'd literally just finished your book the day before, I hadn't spent any time at all on the various sites you mentioned beyond ERE. Also, much like you missed your big "interview" at the retiree convention, I didn't connect your posts earlier in this thread with the book I'd just put down! As for MGFinRe, 2e, I doubt I can be much more than a buyer when it comes out since I haven't been in the military nor have I achieved FIRE for myself. I did do a review of it on my blog, but it was all pretty much glowing praise. I guess you could use that as jacket cover material quotes.
Paul's book is indeed one of the better ones, and the title is quite grabbing too. If he ever gets time to sit down for awhile and update it a bit (or rewrite at this point...), he should definitely do that. In today's society where much fanfare is made about the "disappearing" American Dream, a book with that title could definitely get a bit of attention--at least before everyone brushes it off as too "harsh" and not open to "reality". But either way, it was nice to find where he hides because I'd been looking (admittedly not all too hard) for if Paul had a blog ever since I first picked up his book a couple months ago. Ditto for YMOYL blog.