Author Topic: Any other ultra runners in the community?  (Read 11960 times)

UltraRunning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Any other ultra runners in the community?
« on: February 17, 2015, 01:11:15 PM »
Training for my first 50 miler this july and was just curious if there was that many ultra runners in the mmm community.

aneel

• Stubble
Re: Any other ultra runners in the community?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 07:25:14 PM »
I'm an aspiring ultra runner. I've got a 6 hour race in March and I'm hoping to end up with an ultra distance.

triumph07

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 07:38:33 PM »
Curious how long it would take someone that's never run more than a 5k to train for one of those?  Or is it one of those things where if you have to ask then you probably shouldn't think about it?

Ocelot

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 11:57:26 PM »
I've run one ultra race and numerous non-race "ultras" - if it's not a race, it's just a long run right? triumph07: that depends on a bunch of factors  - ultras can be anywhere from 42.3km to 200km+, can be flat or extremely hilly, smooth road or trails that require clambering - the usual guide is that if you can complete a marathon, you can complete an ultra. How fast however is another question...

Long distance running is a very similar thing to frugality/Mustachianism imo, they both require a certain mindset, flexibility, not only surviving but finding comfort in situations others don't want to even try. In both things, once you try the 'harder' option, you often find it's the most enjoyable. Not to mention a pretty cheap hobby!

surfhb

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 02:16:53 AM »
You people are nuts!    The human body wasn't designed for this....have fun with your hip and knee replacements ;).    Regardless,   My hat off to you.   Very impressive!

Ocelot

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 02:22:31 AM »
Some would argue the human body wasn't designed at all... it certainly never developed to sit sedentary all the time...

BTW, just about every paper ever published on the subject found running reduced non-acute knee and hip issues, as well as reducing the chance of osteoporosis - your body adapts to increased loading.

train_writer

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 04:23:05 AM »
Curious how long it would take someone that's never run more than a 5k to train for one of those?  Or is it one of those things where if you have to ask then you probably shouldn't think about it?

It would take up to 2 years if you want to do it right, unless you are superman of course :).

Than again, it is not for everyone. I have run a 55km ~ 35 miles and afterwards only did leisure/ trail runs around 15 km.. Kudos to you Ocelot and Ultrarunner, What is the terrain and the scenery like? And the expected temperature? It is definitely a hobby i could pick up again if i have a better schedule at work :). When I did the 55km my 'dream' was to view it as a training for this one http://marathon.is/ultramarathon
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 04:26:24 AM by train_writer »

UltraRunning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 07:14:33 AM »

It would take up to 2 years if you want to do it right, unless you are superman of course :).

Than again, it is not for everyone. I have run a 55km ~ 35 miles and afterwards only did leisure/ trail runs around 15 km.. Kudos to you Ocelot and Ultrarunner, What is the terrain and the scenery like? And the expected temperature? It is definitely a hobby i could pick up again if i have a better schedule at work :). When I did the 55km my 'dream' was to view it as a training for this one http://marathon.is/ultramarathon

It is in South Carolina in the middle of July.  It's called the cremator 50.  It's a 50 mile road ultra. Temps should be in the high 80's or 90's and very humid. Excited  for the challenge.

UltraRunning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 07:17:19 AM »

If it sounds of any interest to you since it sounds like it is since you commented I would totally go for it.  Push yourself and see yourself
Accomplish what you previously thought impossible.  Feel free to pm
Me if you have any detailed questions or what some information as far as books and other references are concerned

UltraRunning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 07:19:30 AM »
You people are nuts!    The human body wasn't designed for this....have fun with your hip and knee replacements ;).    Regardless,   My hat off to you.   Very impressive!

Just like any sport it is all about your form and technique! People assume all there is to running is putting on shoes and going out there.  There is actually a good bit of technique and form involved
To stay injury free day in and day out. Have a great day man.

UltraRunning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 07:23:22 AM »
I'm an aspiring ultra runner. I've got a 6 hour race in March and I'm hoping to end up with an ultra distance.

You should go for it man.  If you are in the south eastern part of the states feel free to pm if you would want to join me in a 50k in early June.   Just stay consistent with training and pick oit races that excite and get you up and running every morning at 4/5 am.  There are some beautiful trail races out there that I can't wait to check out.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 07:28:03 AM »
Training for my first 50 miler this july and was just curious if there was that many ultra runners in the mmm community.

Wow congrats on the challenge. Good luck!

I've run 35K [once] and up to 300K/day on my bike. My body is willing, but my brain doesn't want to go much further!

-- Vik

Bill76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 08:45:56 AM »

If you're running 10-15 miles a week, you ought to be able to build up to a 50k (31 miles) race in six months or so.  A marathon training cycle is only 4-5 months, and if you add in a couple of extra heavy weeks with 20 mile long runs, you ought to be ready to tackle the extra five miles on race day.  You might be slower than you'd like, but you'll be able to finish if you're mentally prepared and pace yourself appropriately.  And don't be afraid to walk when you need to.

Technically, anything longer than a marathon counts as an ultra.  For example, I'm doing the Route 66 marathon this fall, and they have something called the "Center of the Universe Detour" that adds 0.3 miles to the course, and I plan to feel extra badass for completing an ultramarathon when I finish. :)

UltraRunning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 10:47:22 AM »

Wow congrats on the challenge. Good luck!

I've run 35K [once] and up to 300K/day on my bike. My body is willing, but my brain doesn't want to go much further!

-- Vik
Very nice. Congrats on your 300k ride. How did it go? We're you able to ride through some beautiful countryside ? And yes sir the mental component is huge in endurance events.

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 10:58:30 AM »
I've done two 39 milers, one 42 miler, and several "weekend events" where you run a 1/2 marathon on Sat. and a full on Sunday, or things like the breast cancer walk where it's 39 miles over a weekend. I've about given it up, though, in favor of shorter distances. I'm getting older and it's not as easy plus, it's hard to find the time to train properly. I'm not the fastest in the world, so the long training runs can take an entire morning or more. I just don't have that kind of time anymore.

But it was really fun finding out what I could do, surpassing my expectations for myself. Lessons I've applied to the rest of my life.

Ocelot

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 05:37:40 PM »
Kudos to you Ocelot and Ultrarunner, What is the terrain and the scenery like? And the expected temperature?

I normally run trail races, and in New Zealand that generally means a lot of elevation change, often alpine environments, and everything from snow and high freezing winds to baking desert-like heat. I've recently started focusing on getting more speed on flat road so I can hopefully qualify for Boston, and I'm finding that a lot harder - the 24km run I did last week at a reasonably slow pace beat me up quite a bit, and I can normally run that distance on hills/rocky trails easily. I guess I owe the road guys some more respect!

Anyone in here run in Philly? I'm moving there next year, and hoping theres a good distance/trail running scene.

UltraRunning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 06:56:40 PM »
Kudos to you Ocelot and Ultrarunner, What is the terrain and the scenery like? And the expected temperature?

I normally run trail races, and in New Zealand that generally means a lot of elevation change, often alpine environments, and everything from snow and high freezing winds to baking desert-like heat. I've recently started focusing on getting more speed on flat road so I can hopefully qualify for Boston, and I'm finding that a lot harder - the 24km run I did last week at a reasonably slow pace beat me up quite a bit, and I can normally run that distance on hills/rocky trails easily. I guess I owe the road guys some more respect!

Anyone in here run in Philly? I'm moving there next year, and hoping theres a good distance/trail running scene.
Unfortunately I live in the southeast.  Would love to live in the PNW and if you had any choice i would give that a look. Beautiful country and trails out there

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 07:03:06 PM »
I ran a 50k two years ago.  Currently trying to get back into running, and maybe run another 50k this fall.

3okirb

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 07:21:58 PM »

It is in South Carolina in the middle of July.  It's called the cremator 50.  It's a 50 mile road ultra. Temps should be in the high 80's or 90's and very humid. Excited  for the challenge.

I did it for the first time last year (cremator) and it was on the one weekend it actually wasn't hot!  Strangely, it was a little bit of a letdown.

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 07:37:36 PM »
So I started out running, did that for 4 years.

Last year I decided I needed something more. Considered ultras... ended up doing triathlons.

I consider both grown up brothers of traditional runners. You just choose to run for 3-24 hours, and we just choose to run/bike/swim for 2-16 hours.. both are pretty intense ;)

Runningtuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 10:36:39 PM »
All the best for your 50 miler!
Another NZ ultrarunner here. Did my first 100k in 2010 and loved it, and have done a range of trail and road since then.

For those contemplating it, there's loads of good advice online, and from podcasts, and joining the right running club.

http://www.ultrarunning.com/featured/the-newcomers-guide-to-running-an-ultra/
http://www.irunfar.com/

shuffler

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 11:23:18 PM »
Curious how long it would take someone that's never run more than a 5k to train for one of those?
I went from non-runner to marathon in about 6 months.
And then marathon to 100m in a year.  I used the Marathon Des Sables as a checkpoint within that year.

So .... 18 months?  But it's an experiment of one.

I did have prior fitness from long-distance cycling.  And probably more importantly, prior experience with pacing and fueling.

Or is it one of those things where if you have to ask then you probably shouldn't think about it?
Just take it in pieces, and go at your own pace.  My priorities are always to (1) finish, (2) feeling healthy, and (3) with a good time.  The time-goal is a pretty distant 3rd.  'Shuffler' isn't my name b/c of card games.

UltraRunning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 06:08:21 AM »
I did it for the first time last year (cremator) and it was on the one weekend it actually wasn't hot!  Strangely, it was a little bit of a letdown.

How didi you like the event as a whole? And strange how we think lol.  We seems to enjoy a harder race with more suffering then the other way around. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 01:39:20 PM by Sparafusile »

train_writer

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2015, 01:30:24 PM »
Sounds intense, that 'Cremator'! And I can totally relate that if you'd run it on a colder weekend, you would feel 'mentally overprepared let-down' :D.

You guys made me enthusiastic again. I headed for a leisure run with minor elevation (100 meters up and down) of 20km (just over 11 miles) this morning. It felt good and i'll be building up from this! Definitely should check out some beautiful tracks in this area.

O, and the reason my advice was 2 years in total, is that i dived in way too fast just to be able to do a marathon! And it took all the pleasure out of running for me for over a year. So mentally is AS important as physically.
I personally like the booklet of Murakami about why he runs.

UltraRunning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2015, 02:18:42 PM »
Sounds intense, that 'Cremator'! And I can totally relate that if you'd run it on a colder weekend, you would feel 'mentally overprepared let-down' :D.

You guys made me enthusiastic again. I headed for a leisure run with minor elevation (100 meters up and down) of 20km (just over 11 miles) this morning. It felt good and i'll be building up from this! Definitely should check out some beautiful tracks in this area.

O, and the reason my advice was 2 years in total, is that i dived in way too fast just to be able to do a marathon! And it took all the pleasure out of running for me for over a year. So mentally is AS important as physically.
I personally like the booklet of Murakami about why he runs.

Man there is nothing greater than to here that some post motivated someone to go out and become active and exercise again.  Good Luck with your running and i hope you pick out a race for yourself in the coming months to keep you motivated and on track :)

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2015, 04:25:43 PM »
No ultras as of yet, but three marathons and thinking about a 50km trail race with big elevation changes.

UltraRunning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 04:43:46 PM »
No ultras as of yet, but three marathons and thinking about a 50km trail race with big elevation changes.

I would go for it. Running on trails is a nice change up to roads. Don't get me wrong i love running on roads too but i think it is great to have a balance between the two so you don't burn out on one or the other.  Plus it creates different stress on different muscles leading to less injuries by keeping the terrains fresh !

UltraRunning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2015, 12:57:48 PM »
Another ultra runner here - late for the party as usual. Run on the trails in a park near my house most mornings and sometimes in the evenings again, and have done lots of ultras - usually in the 50 K or 50 mile range but want to do some longer ones - preferably try some multi-day ones. Not too many this year (last one was Bulldog 50K in SoCal) in fall as I've been travelling a lot but am training for some others.

Yes to the multi day events. I would love to do the grand to grand multi day race starting at the grand canyon.  Looks like it would be a beautiful event.  Or maybe its called the rim to rim.  Not exactly 100 percent on the name.  What others are you training for? any 100s on the horizon for you? 

3okirb

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2015, 06:47:33 PM »

How didi you like the event as a whole? And strange how we think lol.  We seems to enjoy a harder race with more suffering then the other way around.

The event was great.  Well run.  It's kind of fun doing ultras because it's still a relatively new sport and you get to know a lot of people that you see at the races.  It's not like going to races with thousands of people that you'll never see again.

Dexterous

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 04:22:25 AM »
I enjoy running, but not that far!  45 minutes to an hour is good for me... a few times per week.  :)

3okirb

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2015, 07:20:32 AM »
I enjoy running, but not that far!  45 minutes to an hour is good for me... a few times per week.  :)

That's a great start!  Then you just pop a power bar and go another.  Rinse and repeat :).

UltraRunning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 11:47:58 AM »
Another ultra runner here - late for the party as usual. Run on the trails in a park near my house most mornings and sometimes in the evenings again, and have done lots of ultras - usually in the 50 K or 50 mile range but want to do some longer ones - preferably try some multi-day ones. Not too many this year (last one was Bulldog 50K in SoCal) in fall as I've been travelling a lot but am training for some others.

Yes to the multi day events. I would love to do the grand to grand multi day race starting at the grand canyon.  Looks like it would be a beautiful event.  Or maybe its called the rim to rim.  Not exactly 100 percent on the name.  What others are you training for? any 100s on the horizon for you?
No 100's yet but you never know! I know the ultra your talking about but can't remember the name off hand either but it's from the south rim to the north. I thought it was a one day but maybe I'm wrong. If you like heat then you might check out the Badwater ultra. From the bottom of Death Valley (-400 ft) to the Mt. Whitney Portal (approx. 8,000 ft) in mid summer when it around 100 plus out. It's a 135 mile non stop (48 hour or less cut off I think) and would kill me but sounds "fun"!

It actually no longer goes through death valley.  They are no longer allowing the race director to have permits to go through the national park. It is quite sad to see such a historic race fall like it has.   In the sense of no longer having the original route. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2015, 12:21:21 PM »
There's a 6 hour, 12 hour, 24 hour race in June that I want to do. I haven't signed up yet and can sign up pretty close to the deadline so might wait to see if my fitness is up to snuff. If I do it, I would be interested in either the 6 or 12 hour distance and my goal would be to complete at least 30 miles, so we'll see what I can handle. The atmosphere is extremely laid back, it is a 2.3 mile loop (with a mile loop also), and I have a friend that does the 24 hour distance that has a giant tent each year and has offered to let me stay in it, so it would be fun to run and then go and take a nap if I need to.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2015, 12:44:27 PM »
I did a 50K two years ago. It was really fun but the training was just SO time-consuming. It worked out pretty well for me in that instance because I was actually in Houston away from my boyfriend and friends for most of the time, so spending my weekends running by myself wasn't the worst thing ever, but now that I am back in my normal life I'll probably stick to half marathons with the occasional marathon thrown in. If I were FIRE I would do one again in a heartbeat! A 50-miler is also on my bucket list but I'd be okay with only ever doing one :)

No 100's yet but you never know! I know the ultra your talking about but can't remember the name off hand either but it's from the south rim to the north. I thought it was a one day but maybe I'm wrong. If you like heat then you might check out the Badwater ultra. From the bottom of Death Valley (-400 ft) to the Mt. Whitney Portal (approx. 8,000 ft) in mid summer when it around 100 plus out. It's a 135 mile non stop (48 hour or less cut off I think) and would kill me but sounds "fun"!

It actually no longer goes through death valley.  They are no longer allowing the race director to have permits to go through the national park. It is quite sad to see such a historic race fall like it has.   In the sense of no longer having the original route.

I heard about that last year but I thought they got something worked out for this and future years. "Running on the Sun" is a cool movie about it if you haven't seen it. They talk to this guy who had all his toenails removed because he got sick of them falling off. He's like, "and it doesn't even look that weird!" and they show his feet and it's like, no dude... it looks fucking weird. LOL, those crazy ultrarunners ;)

If you're running 10-15 miles a week, you ought to be able to build up to a 50k (31 miles) race in six months or so.  A marathon training cycle is only 4-5 months, and if you add in a couple of extra heavy weeks with 20 mile long runs, you ought to be ready to tackle the extra five miles on race day.  You might be slower than you'd like, but you'll be able to finish if you're mentally prepared and pace yourself appropriately.  And don't be afraid to walk when you need to.

Technically, anything longer than a marathon counts as an ultra.  For example, I'm doing the Route 66 marathon this fall, and they have something called the "Center of the Universe Detour" that adds 0.3 miles to the course, and I plan to feel extra badass for completing an ultramarathon when I finish. :)

Hey, I live in Tulsa and I ran that marathon last year! Awesome!! :) My friends were handing out beer at the CotU detour, but I kinda cared about my time (and TBH at that point in the race I was pretty sure my legs were actually falling off and/or I was dying) so I made my boyfriend bring me a beer at the turnoff so I could get it without having to do the extra 0.3 miles. LOL.

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2015, 02:16:52 PM »
I've run two marathons (road) and two 50k trail runs, but I don't really consider myself an ultra runner.  Like somebody else said, they entail a lot of time training, and that interferes with my desire to bike commute and lift weights and other stuff.  I like running, but not that much.  It's too bad in a way, as the second 50 k I did was the McKenzie River trail run and it's gorgeous.  Of course, it would be an easy and just as pretty bike ride.

I read an article in Scientific American a few years ago that said that humans were evolved to run long distances.  One reason is that we sweat better than other animals.  I tried to find the link to the article but couldn't.

UltraRunning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2015, 03:19:18 PM »
I did a 50K two years ago. It was really fun but the training was just SO time-consuming. It worked out pretty well for me in that instance because I was actually in Houston away from my boyfriend and friends for most of the time, so spending my weekends running by myself wasn't the worst thing ever, but now that I am back in my normal life I'll probably stick to half marathons with the occasional marathon thrown in. If I were FIRE I would do one again in a heartbeat! A 50-miler is also on my bucket list but I'd be okay with only ever doing one :)

I heard about that last year but I thought they got something worked out for this and future years. "Running on the Sun" is a cool movie about it if you haven't seen it. They talk to this guy who had all his toenails removed because he got sick of them falling off. He's like, "and it doesn't even look that weird!" and they show his feet and it's like, no dude... it looks fucking weird. LOL, those crazy ultrarunners ;)

Hey, I live in Tulsa and I ran that marathon last year! Awesome!! :) My friends were handing out beer at the CotU detour, but I kinda cared about my time (and TBH at that point in the race I was pretty sure my legs were actually falling off and/or I was dying) so I made my boyfriend bring me a beer at the turnoff so I could get it without having to do the extra 0.3 miles. LOL.

Haha. i have actually read the biography of the guy Ullrich who removed his toenails.  He is a pretty bad ass dude and if your looking for inspiration read his story about him running across the usa and averaging just over 50 miles a day. pretty incredible.   

UltraRunning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2015, 03:21:44 PM »
I've run two marathons (road) and two 50k trail runs, but I don't really consider myself an ultra runner.  Like somebody else said, they entail a lot of time training, and that interferes with my desire to bike commute and lift weights and other stuff.  I like running, but not that much.  It's too bad in a way, as the second 50 k I did was the McKenzie River trail run and it's gorgeous.  Of course, it would be an easy and just as pretty bike ride.

I read an article in Scientific American a few years ago that said that humans were evolved to run long distances.  One reason is that we sweat better than other animals.  I tried to find the link to the article but couldn't.

I bike commute as well. But going to bed every night at 7Pm and waking up around 4:30 am doesn't  bother me and i quite enjoy the running enough.   I understand the time commit though.  Cause outside of that i really don't do much other than get up, run,cook breakfast with the wife, bike to work, bike home, eat dinner, go to bed.  Luckily my wife is a marathon runner so we usually are able to run together on my shorter runs during the week.  I can't wait to do a trail ultra.  All my runs have been on pavement as of yet. 

UltraRunning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2015, 04:45:38 AM »
There's a 6 hour, 12 hour, 24 hour race in June that I want to do. I haven't signed up yet and can sign up pretty close to the deadline so might wait to see if my fitness is up to snuff. If I do it, I would be interested in either the 6 or 12 hour distance and my goal would be to complete at least 30 miles, so we'll see what I can handle. The atmosphere is extremely laid back, it is a 2.3 mile loop (with a mile loop also), and I have a friend that does the 24 hour distance that has a giant tent each year and has offered to let me stay in it, so it would be fun to run and then go and take a nap if I need to.

Nice man. Looped course actually turn out to be quite a bit of fun.  It allows you to not have to carry anything on you and keep all your nutrition and food at the stat/finish line. Plus it is spectator friendly so your friends and family will be able to see you regularly and not have to drive miles to each aid station.  Let me know what distance you end up picking and how it goes :)

train_writer

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2015, 01:26:09 PM »
I like loops as well, but a 2.3 mile loop for a 6-12-24hour race seems a bit short?
Or is it a multi-loop with the start/finish in the middle?

I am planning for a 20k race in April, not by any means ultra but it is an exciting trail with lots of mud and elevation :D

cdttmm

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2015, 02:17:07 PM »
Another ultra-runner and former triathlete here (and former endurance MTB racer before all of that).

I've done maybe a dozen 50k races and a half dozen 50 milers. Always trail. I can't stand running on the road. And I definitely prefer the point-to-point or single loop races; multiple loops kill me. And the more elevation changes the better. I'm a big fan of the constant up-down factor throughout the race as opposed to the single up-down that some of the races offer.

I'm gearing up to run my first 100k and 100 mile races this year. I'm running the 100k at Kettle Moraine in WI at the beginning of June followed by the Black Hills 100 miler in SD later that month. And depending how well I recover, I'll take a stab at the Eastern States 100 miler in PA in August and the Superior 100 miler in MN in September.

Then, I swear, I'm retiring from this and going back to triathlon.

JR

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2015, 02:54:11 PM »

Many anthropologists argue that homo sapien would be extinct like neanderthal (they were smarter, better hunters and hardier) if not for our ability to run long distances (search "persistence hunting"). I wouldn't argue that running a marathon at a Z4 heart rate is good for you but the simple act of running is not detrimental to the human body.