Author Topic: Any Mustachians that are golfers?  (Read 2234 times)

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Any Mustachians that are golfers?
« on: April 09, 2018, 05:10:03 AM »
I’m a golfer but live in the Midwest so my number of rounds I play are about 20 to 30 a year. I haven’t gotten any new clubs for 8+ years and I think I’m due for gradual upgrades. I’d like to be custom fit. Sure it would be pricey but it would give me joy for several years to come.

To save some money I could buy used clubs from last year for example instead of the 2018 model. Also I’m not trying to play courses that are $75 + and if so that would be more a special treat a couple times a season. Would appreciate any thoughts to my general plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mustache you a question

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Any Mustachians that are golfers?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 07:28:15 AM »
Golfer here, live in Omaha.  I bought some irons from rock bottom golf a couple years ago for less than 300.  They were open box returns so they were cheaper than brand new clubs, even though they were pretty much brand new (open box just means they were bought and returned, not necessarily used).  Bought a used driver for less than 100 this year and was gifted a wedge set from my brother (his old ones).  If you can do that for clubs you should be good.

As for playing, just start walking.  I play at a muni here that's actually really nice, walk 18 for 25 bucks in the summer (22 in the off season).  It's great exercise and relatively inexpensive.

Golf can be expensive but you can make it cheaper and more reasonable.  I try to play once a week when it's nice (30+ rounds a year) and have budget of 30 bucks per week for golf.  I will spoil myself once or twice a year and play a course for over 50 bucks.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 08:23:45 AM »
I would definitely spend the money to get a set of fitted clubs.  As you said, they'll last for several years.

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 09:02:07 AM »
I have used fitted clubs and I have used standard loft and lie right off the shelf.  I can't tell the difference in terms of performance (I'm a 12 index). Getting fit can't hurt and it might help.  My current set is some Mizuno 825s that I found on ebay. They were demo clubs from a golf store. They cost about half of what a new set would cost. My woods are 4 years old, My hybrids are 10 years old, my putter is around 6 years old. The only recent additions are my wedges. I am retired, so I support my golf habit by volunteering at a local course in exchange for free playing and practicing.  I usually play 2 to 3 times a week, year round.  I also walk if the course is reasonably flat and the temperature is not too hot. I play most of my rounds in coastal southern California so it rarely gets very hot. I also play about one month of the year in the midwest. The heat and humidity there can make walking a pain in the ass. When I do pay to play, it is mostly county and city owned courses that are $30-$40 a round.  I typically find golf balls faster than I lose them.  I haven't bought a ball in years.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 11:37:34 AM »
I am NOT a golfer, but have walked/ridden many courses.
History:
We live 2 miles from a country course designed in 1926. From the golfers in the family (husband and sons) it is a well designed course and about 10 years ago, attention made it great.
It costs $35 a round, I think, as they are members. Member ship is $1000/yr. Like I said, it’s out in the country. Our oldest bought a house on the course, 3 bdrm, 2 bath, for $169,000, built in 1979. So not the fanciest course. It is land that looks like it could have been farm land when it was designed, and was easier to make a golf course than clear the trees along the 2 creeks.

Our 2 sons, when they were 10, played in a jr league in the summer, which allowed them to play in many private courses all over Ohio, I think the oldest even won one. He played in high school and college. When he was 20 or so he talked about turning pro and I remember having a talk with him, discussing expenses. He wasn’t ‘great’ but could be, but wanted him to know we couldn’t finance this dream. He decided he really liked IT work and always being chosen as his employer’s (hospital) representative when vendors would need one. Now, I think he’s pretty active in a couple of leagues, wining a few tournaments.

The 2 boys and their Dad take various golf outings. San Diego, when the youngest was in the Navy, and most memorable when they went to SE Ohio. They went the day after that guy that had all those wild animals, set them loose, then killed himself. Oh the thoughts that were going through my head, picturing them all being eaten by a lion on a golf course! When the Ronald Reagan was in HA, our sailor son called us from the golf course, there was some siren going off. He later found out it was a tsunami warning! I think it was 2012.
So, golf has made for some interesting stories!

Our 2 sons, maybe par golf or 1 or 2 less, always from the Blue tees. TheHusbandHalf, not so good white tees, but probably because he was not given the advantages this sons were. Mom, I haven't hit from the blues for years. I ALWAYS use the tips!

The 2 boys got custom clubs 6-7 years ago, and TheHusbandHalf did 2 years ago, with retirement plans. They all say they’ve made a difference. I told my husband, every time you don’t hit the ball right you’re going to say it’s because you don’t have nice clubs. So, do you need that crutch, or are you just going to go out and get them and commit to working on the real problem? – YOU.

Sometimes TheHusbandHalf and our local son, in the winter, will golf in HA, CA, without leaving Ohio – video. With nice clubs
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:56:22 PM by TheWifeHalf »

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 09:02:47 AM »
Golfer here, live in Omaha.  I bought some irons from rock bottom golf a couple years ago for less than 300.  They were open box returns so they were cheaper than brand new clubs, even though they were pretty much brand new (open box just means they were bought and returned, not necessarily used).  Bought a used driver for less than 100 this year and was gifted a wedge set from my brother (his old ones).  If you can do that for clubs you should be good.

As for playing, just start walking.  I play at a muni here that's actually really nice, walk 18 for 25 bucks in the summer (22 in the off season).  It's great exercise and relatively inexpensive.

Golf can be expensive but you can make it cheaper and more reasonable.  I try to play once a week when it's nice (30+ rounds a year) and have budget of 30 bucks per week for golf.  I will spoil myself once or twice a year and play a course for over 50 bucks.

Thanks so much for the reply! I’ll look into used clubs though I’d like to get fitted. Also playing once or twice a week during the season would be awesome!

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 09:03:48 AM »
I would definitely spend the money to get a set of fitted clubs.  As you said, they'll last for several years.

That’s my thought, if they’ll last 5 years that’s worth it to me. Granted if given options I’ll probably not buy the $1.5k irons!

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 09:05:07 AM »
I have used fitted clubs and I have used standard loft and lie right off the shelf.  I can't tell the difference in terms of performance (I'm a 12 index). Getting fit can't hurt and it might help.  My current set is some Mizuno 825s that I found on ebay. They were demo clubs from a golf store. They cost about half of what a new set would cost. My woods are 4 years old, My hybrids are 10 years old, my putter is around 6 years old. The only recent additions are my wedges. I am retired, so I support my golf habit by volunteering at a local course in exchange for free playing and practicing.  I usually play 2 to 3 times a week, year round.  I also walk if the course is reasonably flat and the temperature is not too hot. I play most of my rounds in coastal southern California so it rarely gets very hot. I also play about one month of the year in the midwest. The heat and humidity there can make walking a pain in the ass. When I do pay to play, it is mostly county and city owned courses that are $30-$40 a round.  I typically find golf balls faster than I lose them.  I haven't bought a ball in years.

I like that idea of volunteering to work at a golf course. I’m nowhere near retirement but it would be something enjoyable to do and maybe something I can look into doing over the summer.

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 09:12:00 AM »
I am NOT a golfer, but have walked/ridden many courses.
History:
We live 2 miles from a country course designed in 1926. From the golfers in the family (husband and sons) it is a well designed course and about 10 years ago, attention made it great.
It costs $35 a round, I think, as they are members. Member ship is $1000/yr. Like I said, it’s out in the country. Our oldest bought a house on the course, 3 bdrm, 2 bath, for $169,000, built in 1979. So not the fanciest course. It is land that looks like it could have been farm land when it was designed, and was easier to make a golf course than clear the trees along the 2 creeks.

Our 2 sons, when they were 10, played in a jr league in the summer, which allowed them to play in many private courses all over Ohio, I think the oldest even won one. He played in high school and college. When he was 20 or so he talked about turning pro and I remember having a talk with him, discussing expenses. He wasn’t ‘great’ but could be, but wanted him to know we couldn’t finance this dream. He decided he really liked IT work and always being chosen as his employer’s (hospital) representative when vendors would need one. Now, I think he’s pretty active in a couple of leagues, wining a few tournaments.

The 2 boys and their Dad take various golf outings. San Diego, when the youngest was in the Navy, and most memorable when they went to SE Ohio. They went the day after that guy that had all those wild animals, set them loose, then killed himself. Oh the thoughts that were going through my head, picturing them all being eaten by a lion on a golf course! When the Ronald Reagan was in HA, our sailor son called us from the golf course, there was some siren going off. He later found out it was a tsunami warning! I think it was 2012.
So, golf has made for some interesting stories!

Our 2 sons, maybe par golf or 1 or 2 less, always from the Blue tees. TheHusbandHalf, not so good white tees, but probably because he was not given the advantages this sons were. Mom, I haven't hit from the blues for years. I ALWAYS use the tips!

The 2 boys got custom clubs 6-7 years ago, and TheHusbandHalf did 2 years ago, with retirement plans. They all say they’ve made a difference. I told my husband, every time you don’t hit the ball right you’re going to say it’s because you don’t have nice clubs. So, do you need that crutch, or are you just going to go out and get them and commit to working on the real problem? – YOU.

Sometimes TheHusbandHalf and our local son, in the winter, will golf in HA, CA, without leaving Ohio – video. With nice clubs

Wow where do I even start? This is really extensive!

Thanks for including how much it cost per round. That doesn’t seem too bad and it sounds like the course is adequate enough for your husband and your son’s to play that they still enjoy it and it’s not taking up a ton of money in the budget versus more expense courses. For the membership does that cover rounds or in addition to the $35 a round? If they weren’t members what’s the breakeven point?

That’s a really important and good discussion to have with your son that was thinking about turning pro. Although it might’ve been a tough conversation I think you handled it really well. I’m glad that he is still able to be competitive and joined those leagues  aside from working his seemingly good IT job.

Sounds like fitted clubs pays off top of I’m willing to use them for the next 5-6 years. Thanks again!

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 10:29:41 AM »
For the membership does that cover rounds or in addition to the $35 a round? If they weren’t members what’s the breakeven point?

It covers rounds, but I think a cart is extra.