Author Topic: Any Mustachians on TWC's $15/mo internet?  (Read 3401 times)

Thegoblinchief

Any Mustachians on TWC's $15/mo internet?
« on: November 11, 2015, 01:21:53 PM »
Apparently this has been around a while, but I just learned about TWC's 2Mb down/1Mb up internet that's $15/mo with no promo period. Neighbors said it's ~$24 after taxes, which would shave $25/mo off my current 6/1 Uverse.

How's the quality of product? Our internet, in reality, struggles to stream any video more than 480p, but we're fine with that. We also game online some, but there bandwidth isn't as much of an issue as latency. Online reviews seemed to suggest it is fine for what we use it for.

LAGuy

• Bristles
Re: Any Mustachians on TWC's $15/mo internet?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 01:42:03 PM »
I actually just switched to this plan this week. You'll need to buy your own cable modem and wireless router (can buy an all in one) so you don't get hit with their outrageous equipment lease fees. Here in LA, it's 3 down/1up. It's working plenty well enough for my single person household. I haven't tried it for gaming yet. Mostly I just do a lot of browsing. Might be a bummer if you stream a lot?

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 01:49:36 PM »
I have it too. Yeah you might want to take LAGuy's advice and get your own modem or they'll hit you with an equipment charge (its 5 bucks in NC) plus taxes and fees. We're paying around 23 after adding that stuff in. But the service is pretty good. I watch videos on YouTube and do a lot of browsing and some games on FaceBook and it does just fine for me.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 01:50:43 PM »
I'm on 3 Mb down/ 768Kb(?) up with Comcast for $20/month, not just because I'm cheap, but because I refuse to give those goddamn bastards even a penny more than I absolutely have to! (The nanosecond Google Fiber finally shows up I'll be telling Comcast to suck it, regardless of what Google decides to charge.)

Anyway, so far it's been pretty much fast enough. Bulk downloads can take a while, but gaming, VoIP, Netflix, and (I think) Netflix + Youtube at the same time have been fine. Admittedly, I haven't paid much attention to bitrate; the streams probably aren't HD most of the time.

ditheca

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 02:05:18 PM »
I used it for awhile.  Sometimes I had to stream Youtube at 480 instead of 720.  When my wife and I both were streaming different things it was sometimes painful.

Then I wised up and asked my employer to pay for internet... and they said yes!  I upgraded to the $35/month plan (for 'free') and we never have trouble.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 02:13:19 PM »
Cool. Seems like it will fit our needs pretty well.

Now I just need to research modems and routers. I could get the Wirecutter recommended ones but they seem a little overkill despite my usual preference for buying quality gear.

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 02:21:15 PM »
Make sure you check with TWC that the router is compatible. And they'll need the serial number or IP address for it. I can't remember which.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 03:28:42 PM »
Got this for my in-laws. It seems pretty decent for what it is, except for when the guy renting a room from them hogs the internet when we're there. Thing is, my in-laws are never home so there's never a problem! LOL... it's more for the guys renting rooms from them so $15 is pretty tough to beat.

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 05:43:14 PM »
We just got it installed Monday.  No problems whatsoever so far, haven't had a chance to try it with video yet, but it's definitely faster than our Verizon internet was (they jacked that up to $34 which is what got us to switch).  Applied online last week, and got the first appointment I could be home for -they would have come sooner.  DH picked up a modem on his way home from work so we had it ready to go.  Installer strung a line from the pole to our house, and thru to the basement, then came in to run line from our computer area down to basement.  Connected the lines and to ground.  Upstairs again to connect to modem.  Called in the device numbers and got confirmation signal was good, walked me thru online agreements and account ids and passwords. Done.