Author Topic: Any Jeff Yeager fans on here?  (Read 8414 times)

unplugged

• Stubble
Any Jeff Yeager fans on here?
« on: February 21, 2013, 04:33:56 AM »
Just wondering if I'm the only Jeff Yeager fan on here. I think the only way to follow him is through his books though. He works for AARP now so I doubt he would hang out here with us. I don't own many books as a part time minimalist but I love his books so much that I make an exception for them.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Any Jeff Yeager fans on here?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 06:57:44 AM »
Never read any of his stuff, but I've heard good things.

For those unfamiliar with his work, he wrote The Cheapskate Next Door, How to Retire the Cheapskate way, etc. etc.

He posted on the e-r.org forums a few times in the last week, seems pretty down-to-earth.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/book-review-how-to-retire-the-cheapskate-way-jeff-yeager-65026.html
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 09:08:06 AM »
I enjoyed Jeff's first book and his related blog posts, but I haven't made the time for his other books.

I think he makes a lot of sense with his advice to ignore the $3 latté and focus on the big decisions like the house and your transportation.

He works for AARP now ...
Ouch!  Coming out of retirement to work for those guys?!?  I sure hope he's far away from their direct-mail department...

Welmoed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 01:14:55 PM »
I've met Jeff (and actually was quoted in his books and appeared in his videos twice!); he's really a great guy. AARP does produce his videos now, but I doubt he would water down the content to appeal to their audience. Much of his advice applies to every age. I'll send him a message and let him know about this site; it's possible he's not even aware of it.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 01:18:17 PM »
I have an autographed copy of TCND and have met Jeff in person.  Very very nice guy.  He does post occasionally over on E-R.org.

For me the biggest thing I learned from him was about "the money step", a concept which aligns perfectly well with the MMM approach.

2Cor521

Ultimate Cheapskate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 02:34:05 PM »
Hey All -

My ears were burning, but I thought it was just because the rash had traveled north.

Thanks for the kind words about my books, etc.  Just to clarify, I'm still "selfishly employed" as a freelance writer, author, pontificator of The Cheaphood, etc.  and I don't work for AARP, although I do write a lot for their publications, including a weekly blog on their website.  I've also teamed up with them for my new weekly web show, "The Cheap Life" on YouTube.

Hope to spend some time around here going forward.  Seems like a cool place.

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager
The Ultimate Cheapskate

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 02:41:12 PM »
Welcome Jeff!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Ultimate Cheapskate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 03:06:32 PM »
Thanks arebelspy.  Money and moustaches, two of my favorite things!

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
    • Radical Personal Finance
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 03:28:26 PM »
Welcome, Jeff!  We're glad to have you here!  You'll definitely fit in well on these boards...

unplugged

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 08:20:53 PM »
Oh my goodness! You just made my day Jeff! :D I think your the funniest and most down to earth frugal writer. I loved you and your wife on that Cheapest Man show. I'm still working on maybe...... trying goat too!

Now I have to go find  "The Cheap Life" on YouTube!

Glad you joined us. 

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 05:40:31 AM »
Trying goat, like the meat?  It's delicious!

Ultimate Cheapskate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 07:17:17 AM »
@7years - Wow, now that's a moustache!  I feel like I'm still in Jr. High with peach fuzz on my lip.  Well done, good sir.

@unplugged - Thanks, but you're easily amused if you liked my episodes on "Extreme Cheapskate"    ;-)  Seriously, it wasn't my best or proudest work, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.  Haven't heard if that TLC series is continuing or not.

@Kriegsspiel - Agreed, and actually it was a couple of goat heads that I ate during that show.  Being a world traveler, the point I was trying to make is that in less wasteful countries around the world they eat - and in fact prize - parts of the animal that we just throw away here.  Here's a link to that clip from "Extreme Cheapskates" if anyone is interested:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeZ_UFXWIMA

unplugged

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 09:16:40 AM »
I just watched several of the youtube videos and they are awesome. The healthy food per pound, under a dollar, concept really changed  my shopping habits. Tips like that are what makes your books and others worth owning.

I think the reason I enjoyed the TLC show despite their editing is that good tv is hard to find. Anyone remember Amy Dacyzyn on Phil Donahue?

If Amy D, Jeff, MMM, and people like this had interesting tv shows more cheapskates would have cable LOL. I watch Doomsday Preppers for the same reason. I'm not a prepper and can see through the editing to learn something.

On the goat note........I live next door to a goat farm. I will eventually get the nerve to try LOL.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 12:10:36 PM »
Here's a link to that clip from "Extreme Cheapskates" if anyone is interested:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeZ_UFXWIMA

Haha!  Great video.  Good to see some biking in there, along with a fancy kitchen.  :)
And welcome Jeff!  Good to have you here.
- Mrs. MM

Ultimate Cheapskate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 12:23:06 PM »
Thanks Mrs. MM - Actually, cycling is my #1 lifetime passion ... I'm convinced it's the key to eternal youth (or maybe even eternal life?).  In fact - traffic gods willing - in this, my 55th year of life, I will hopefully reach and surpass the 100,000 mile mark of miles I have bicycled (so far!) during my lifetime.

According to AAA stats, it actually costs about 50 cents to $1 per mile to drive the average car down the road (factoring in all costs).  So, assuming I'd have driven those miles instead of biked them, I'm at least $50,000-$100,000 richer (not including the value/earning on the money I've saved), plus I wiegh exactly the same as the day I graduated from college in 1980, and have never had to pay for a gym membership in my life.  Does that qualify as badassity?  ;-)

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 12:36:08 PM »
Thanks Mrs. MM - Actually, cycling is my #1 lifetime passion ... I'm convinced it's the key to eternal youth (or maybe even eternal life?).  In fact - traffic gods willing - in this, my 55th year of life, I will hopefully reach and surpass the 100,000 mile mark of miles I have bicycled (so far!) during my lifetime.

According to AAA stats, it actually costs about 50 cents to $1 per mile to drive the average car down the road (factoring in all costs).  So, assuming I'd have driven those miles instead of biked them, I'm at least $50,000-$100,000 richer (not including the value/earning on the money I've saved), plus I wiegh exactly the same as the day I graduated from college in 1980, and have never had to pay for a gym membership in my life.  Does that qualify as badassity?  ;-)

DEFINITELY!  If you could boil down the Mr. Money Mustache blog to only one thing, it would be: "Ride a Bike"  (see: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/05/07/what-do-you-mean-you-dont-have-a-bike/)

I'm watching more of your videos - good stuff.  I would try the soda bottle in the toilet trick, except we don't buy soda.  ;) 

I have a feeling that you and MMM would get along extremely well.  Biking, calculating everything constantly, grocery shopping, etc...

Congrats on the 100,000 mile mark!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!