Author Topic: Any ideas how to cancel a credit card with Chase?  (Read 1401 times)

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
Any ideas how to cancel a credit card with Chase?
« on: April 06, 2020, 11:43:51 AM »
The annual fee on one of my Chase travel credit cards came due. I usually call and either negotiate the fee or cancel the card. However, Chase is currently not taking calls except for emergency situations and has no other way to contact them. Any suggestions?

hdatontodo

• Bristles
Re: Any ideas how to cancel a credit card with Chase?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 11:49:07 AM »
On their credit card website, their main menu icon is three horizontal bars on the top left of the screen. That menu has Secure Messages. Then click the New Message text on the right side

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 02:58:30 PM »
On their credit card website, their main menu icon is three horizontal bars on the top left of the screen. That menu has Secure Messages. Then click the New Message text on the right side

Yes, I did try that but I got a message that they're only addressing emergent issues and that the delay for non-urgent issues will likely be more than a week. I'd prefer not to have to pay the fee but don't know what the alternative is if I can't communicate with Chase.

swashbucklinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 03:43:00 PM »
I'd still do the text and/or email. If you call them two months from now and can reference that they might well honor it after the fact. I've had them refund me annual fees 3+ months on even without that, but that might be because I have a lot of business with them. No promises of course.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 03:55:34 PM »
Send them a certified letter?

Catica

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 04:39:18 AM »
The annual fee on one of my Chase travel credit cards came due. I usually call and either negotiate the fee or cancel the card. However, Chase is currently not taking calls except for emergency situations and has no other way to contact them. Any suggestions?
is this the Sapphire card?

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 06:37:52 PM »
is this the Sapphire card?

Nope, one of the IHG cards

Rdy2Fire

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 07:34:00 PM »
As someone indicated above; send them a secure message saying you'd like to cancel the card, print or screen shot the message a well as the automated response. After that do not use the card and continue to follow up periodically with a call or secure message and just document the dates/times. Typically, as someone else said above, they will role back the fee without a problem and given current circumstances I imagine they would do the same

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!