Author Topic: Any expensive hobbies among mustachians?  (Read 26214 times)

zoltani

Re: Any expensive hobbies among mustachians?
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2014, 12:02:49 PM »
I'm pretty much geared up for everything now though.... or so I thought until I decided to get into trad climbing...

Is there any other kind of climbing?  ;)

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2014, 12:04:27 PM »
Husband plays hockey as the goalie.  Right now we spend $475/year.  If he had his way, it would be more than double that, sigh.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2014, 12:45:35 PM »
Husband plays hockey as the goalie.  Right now we spend $475/year.  If he had his way, it would be more than double that, sigh.

Goalie's around here play for free based on the extra cost of the equipment and they're hard to come by. 

If he is decent he could play every night of the week multiple times at no cost here. 

Richard3

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2014, 09:00:13 PM »
I'm pretty much geared up for everything now though.... or so I thought until I decided to get into trad climbing...

Is there any other kind of climbing?  ;)

Ice? Mountain? Tree? Social? :P

firedup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2014, 11:12:38 PM »
Dogs. Are they considered a hobby?

Unfortunately they can be expensive. I have one dog that is allergic to grains and chicken and beef, so expensive grain-free dog food for him, along with meds. I have another dog that is 12.5 y.o. and needs even more expensive meds, like $100/month. Plus the vet bills, I seem to be in there every other month for something, treats, toys , etc... When you add it all up its costly. BUT, I dont' have kids and my dog is my hiking buddy and brings me great joy, so no need for gym membership or therapist... they pay for themselves!

Same story here. Have a dog with severe allergies and we are doing trials on everything. The biggest allergan for our dog is peas. They are in every good food now. 

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2014, 01:10:48 AM »
My hobbies aren't terribly expensive, but they have the potential to be.  I train Aikido, do competitive powerlifting, cycle, and run (everything from 5K's to marathons).  The basics for my athletic pursuits are pretty affordable; it's things like events and travel that get pricey.  My gym membership is $20/month through my job, and that's for me and Husband both.  Aikido club dues are $35/month for unlimited classes (they have them 5 nights a week) and belt testing comes with a $25 fee (happens once or twice a year right now; less often as I move up the ranks, although I think it costs more then).  Running is basically free except for shoes a couple of times a year.  The local cycling club is $10/year, plus a few bucks a week for coffee stops.  I get most of my workout clothes at Target, usually on sale, and the quality is surprisingly good.  I have clothes from there that I've been running/lifting/whatevering in for years.

Then you have powerlifting meets and Aikido seminars that have a ~$100 registration fee, plus travel expenses.  I have an ever-growing list of stuff I want for my bike.  A 5K is going to be a $25 entry fee, a longer race could easily be up to $100, plus potential travel costs.

Incidental expenses: increased grocery bill, water bill possibly higher due to more frequent showering and laundry, etc.

Non-athletically, I do some crafty stuff - sewing, knitting, and hand embroidery.  Fabric is expensive.  Good yarn is expensive.  I'm willing to pay for quality, which means I don't do as many projects as I might like.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2014, 11:02:52 AM »

Goalie's around here play for free based on the extra cost of the equipment and they're hard to come by. 

If he is decent he could play every night of the week multiple times at no cost here.
In Ca, it was like that as well.  In Buffalo, not so much.  He does play for free when he subs, but for his main team, nope, he pays in. 

JohnnyDollar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2014, 06:51:52 PM »
Photography.  Amazing how expensive melted sand can be.

legacyoneup

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2014, 07:35:51 PM »
Philately ... and to a small extent, numismatics. If you are particular about quality/condition, it gets quite expensive.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2014, 09:53:55 PM »
Roller derby. Between frequent gear replacement, sportswear,  uniforms,  club fees, insurance, petrol for training plus all the volunteering and events you also need to attend and boot camps, travel (this often means flights) etc this is one expensive hobby. But it keeps me active and I love it so it's staying for now. I have been trying to keep costs low (changed to a club closer to home, with lower fees and have started carpooling, not planning to do any interstate travel, instead focusing on taking as many home state opportunities to learn new skills as possible and resisting buying new gear unless stuff breaks or I pass (difficult) goals i set for myself.

Rube

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2014, 10:46:04 PM »
Not only have handguns been spendy to shoot, the ammo has been really hard to get. And I should be shooting a lot more because of my carry permit.

So, a few years ago I got into shotguns. Wow, yes the initial expense is a lot but a few boxes of shells and a box of clays and some quarters is less than $30 for a long afternoon of fun. Just have to know someone with land and someone to bring a decent thrower. And a gas grill!

wanttolivethedream

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2014, 12:12:33 PM »
I have a few hobbies that run from no cost (playing  guitar), to the more expensive restoring a 72 vette. I also collect sports bobbleheads. These are mostly paid for by working xtra.

Fuzz

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2014, 02:10:38 PM »
I downhill and backcountry ski. I pay for a ski pass and have nice gear (bought cheaply, but not that cheaply). It's probably $2000/year for 60+ days skiing. I could probably sell my gear for close to what I paid for it, though. The cost of the ski pass I'm not getting back.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2014, 03:20:14 PM »
My most expensive hobby is my season ticket for the local Major League Soccer team.  Between the cost of the ticket, gas, and parking, it costs me about $1000 a year.  This past year, however, I managed to pay for it by using the season ticket holder exclusive window for buying tickets for special events to buy and scalp a bunch of tickets to some very high profile events, including one European team's first appearance in the USA in 25 years.  If there are more good events next season, I might actually be able to turn a decent profit from this hobby.

blackjack

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2015, 06:43:08 AM »
My expensive hobby is high end audio gear for Home theater...

I have probably spent about $25,000 on home theatre / audio .. Which I probably spend that / plan on spending that every 10 years due to upgrades and wanting better equipment... I resell some of that getting about 50% back which probably comes out to $12,000 every 10 years.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 06:46:03 AM by blackjack »

Andrew928

• Stubble
  • Life Is Good
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2015, 06:49:02 AM »
Dirtbike and guns

blackjack

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2015, 08:32:38 AM »
Dirtbikes and guns.... That's a sweet hobby.... I would love to get a dirt bike

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2015, 08:49:17 AM »
I woodwork to justify my tool buying hobby.  Recently sold off power tools to buy hand tools.  I just find the sound of a sharp tool through wood to be more relaxing than an whining motor.  Besides, I'm not trying to make money.  If it takes me 3 months to build a chair, well then, it takes 3 months. 

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2015, 09:23:01 AM »
Mine is music as in buying stereo equipment and CDs.  It could be killer expensive but I have found lots of ways to reduce the cost. 

First:  I started with a yard sale stereo and am slowly upgrading it via Goodwill with the help of the kind folks at AudioKarma.com.  I am finding it very satisfying to actually know what makes music sound good rather than just throwing money at the question. 

Second:  I buy my CDs when they show up for $0.50 at second hand stores.  This is the golden age of use CDs and I have found everything from The Allman Bros. to Gregorian Chants at that price.  Amusingly, last week when I was at a used CD sale, I heard the guy on the other side of the rack say disgustedly, "I have this, but I paid $10 for it!" 

I estimate my expensive hobby at around $150/yr. 

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2015, 09:30:51 AM »
Concerts. Which sometimes come with travel.

I'm picky on what shows I'll spend on or travel for, though, so while splurges happen, they're more exception than rule.

I don't get to travel as much as I'd like right now, but I fully intend to add travel as an expensive hobby when time is freer.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2015, 11:33:39 AM »
Cars are by far my most expensive hobby. I do my own work so I am generally just out parts prices, but building engines isn't cheap. My '91 MR2 Turbo is just about done pending a final tune, and the next one is finishing an overland/expedition build on my SUV.  The next set of preventative maintenance on that guy is looking to be around $1100, because of so many "while I'm in there...." things that I would rather do now, instead of tearing it all apart again in a year or two. On the bright side, when that's done I should be able to drive from Alaska to Argentina to Alaska and back to Argentina without many worries except tires, oil changes and air filters. :)

$150 won't even buy me a single tire, so you guys with "expensive hobbies" in that price range are doing pretty damn good! :)

blackjack

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2015, 12:09:04 PM »
I'm thinking of spending 10k on a projector .... ouch

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2015, 04:46:25 PM »
I am very fortunate that I live full time in a 5th wheel or my hobby costs would be overpowering. I have a list of hobbies for when I FIRE that I want to get back into once I have a home. Looks like this (a few items are my fiancées as well)

Lifting weights
Read more books
Snowboarding/ski 
Mountain biking
Road biking
Fishing
Hunting
Camping
Hiking
Guitar
Pottery (tons of experience in school)
Welding (I was a welder by trade for several years)
restore a classic muscle car
Scuba diving/Snorkeling
Motorcycle tour around country
Yoga 
Crafts (leather, knit,etc)

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2015, 10:37:41 PM »
Cars for me.  I recently sold my '93 Mazda RX-7 with a V8 swap that ran 10.8's in the quarter mile.  Cars are insanely expensive especially if racing is involved.  The V8 RX-7 thing has turned into a small side income making specialty parts, which is a decent bonus.  To fill my urge, I am now slow building a '74 Datsun 260Z which should be pretty cool when all is said and done.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2015, 05:23:08 AM »
Motorcycling, though I was pretty good with buying a used bike well bellow book value.

Insurance is $225/year and the thing goes 150 miles on a $10 tank of gas =D

I can't picture life without two wheels and a throttle.

I thought motorcycling was expensive.......In the past 2 months I got into Triathlon.......after doing my first race on a MTB without a wetsuit I sprang for the gear.....$2,800 later lol....I still don't have everything I will likely need for next years race season.

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2015, 05:51:24 AM »
Definitely scuba diving.
I'm doing a full day (4 dives) tomorrow in Key Largo and it will cost me $230 + gas to and back from Miami.
I am lucky though because at least twice per year (like tomorrow) I manage to dive by adding a vacation day to a business trip, so I save the flight cost from and to NYC.
A day here and there keeps my addiction need down, so that I (barely) get by with only one 10 day long diving trip per year, usually to the Caribbean.
I try stay as frugal as possible but I still spend around $3k for that.
My dream when I reach financial independence is to pay the living expenses by being a dive master.

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2015, 09:51:48 AM »
Traveling.  Our travel budget right now is insane, even though most of the trips themselves are done fairly frugally. 

This.  We have have two more large trips (already paid for) then a moratorium in 2016 on any trips requiring flights. Family is far-flung, we both have places we want to see in person, and we both let the 'wouldn't it be cool' get away from us.

Our budget includes $100/month ea for our hobbies/personal expenses. We mostly don't spend it in the month but let the float ride for those larger occasional purchases.

synonym

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2015, 10:04:42 AM »
Re.. Tools

Don't forget that woodworking tools require space to use them.

We ended up with a 500 sqft workshop on our current house because of a need to accommodate the tools.  E.g it greatly limited our viable housing choices during our last move.    Probably right decision for us as we rebuilt our home mostly ourselves, but please add the space factor toyour consideration set.

Oh, yeah, tools and saws use a fair amount of electricity.  Enough to notice anyway...

I agree with goldilocks: the $600 cost of the tool OP wants is vastly outweighed by the cost of the space to use those tools in.

My house has a second garage with two stalls and a workshop area already.  Using the workshop area as a gym currently but it gets too cold in the winter so we're moving that inside.  More than enough space to keep the tools.

I've fallen into the 'trap' before of buying all the tools and needing a big workshop. Since moving countries to the US I've found that I've been able to control costs here by using a shared woodworking shop. I use http://communitytoolchest.com/ in Las Vegas, but I'm sure many other places have a maker space or similar that can be used. And now my garage isn't full of sawdust and heavy machinery

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2015, 11:25:24 AM »
How about kids, lol.  They are optional and expensive (and take up a lot of time).

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2015, 11:35:08 AM »
My most expensive hobby is easily travel. Even though I've cut down on travel a lot this year, it is still 20x more expensive than my next most expensive hobby. In addition, all of my other hobbies have some sort of monetary gain which either reduces other expenses (hunting, gardening), or increases income from selling the end products.

But being able to travel more, and more slowly, is also one of my biggest reasons for wanting to retire early, so I don't mind spending a little bit of money on travel before FIRE either. I am still spending far less on travel now that I know retiring early is an option.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2015, 11:44:03 AM »
I've gotten in to photography and that can cost.   The good deal is that once you have the lenses, they are good forever (or until a better coating etc. comes out).

It might bring in some money some day but primarily, this one will stay a hobby.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2015, 11:58:53 AM »
My passion, downhill skiing.  I usually do 3 trips per year to big mountain Western U.S. or Canadian resorts.  I do them DIRT CHEAP sharing hotel/condo with a buncha guys (best I can hope for is my OWN bed).  This is part of my travel budget and runs about $1200-$1300 per trip.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2015, 12:19:43 PM »
I probably bow $25,000 per year on hunting, fishing and all activities, travel and equipment associated with such.