Author Topic: Any Canadians out there?  (Read 23881 times)

homemadelatte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Any Canadians out there?
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2014, 08:10:40 AM »
I will be following this post! We are in calgary too and find it difficult to save a significant amount on things like cell phones, internet and groceries!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Silverwood

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2014, 08:26:51 AM »
So I was discussing cell phone plans with a friend and he said if Rogers cut the cost of thier plans that you'd have a bunch of ppl laid off. So essentially you're paying that much to keep ppl employed.

Anyone agree with this?  He said we don't have the same number of ppl as the states so that changes things for us.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2014, 01:07:45 PM »
What a load of horse shit... they outsource so much to mexico/india as-is.  It's all about profits.

So I was discussing cell phone plans with a friend and he said if Rogers cut the cost of thier plans that you'd have a bunch of ppl laid off. So essentially you're paying that much to keep ppl employed.

Anyone agree with this?  He said we don't have the same number of ppl as the states so that changes things for us.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2014, 10:02:26 AM »
BC

Even within a city, it varies dramatically! See Zikoris' costs vs mine.

I have had the lowest rate for renter's insurance Cooperators would give me on my last three suites, and it's been $500/yr. This is in 450 sq foot multi-dwelling apartment units or basement suites, lowest coverage, no claim ever. I recently switched to Square1 and saved some, but it's still over $400/yr.

We can't get Novus internet, as it only serves specific multi-unit buildings. So, our cheapest at this point is $61 with Shaw. I'm looking at TekSavvy, watching our use over the months to see if we'd benefit by switching to that.

Many shares, houses, and complexes do not accept children, regardless of how well behaved they are, etc, so some cheaper housing is ruled out for us on that count. We're now on the waitlists for co-ops and other housing cheaper than $1100. Soon we'll be "high priority", which should help reduce the wait period. In the meantime, we have either paid the price for quiet, or shared with terrible noise for cheaper, taken temporary opportunities for reduced rent, etc.

Phone - No landline, eliminated data and daytime minutes on my phone and was able to get it down to $30/mo.

Our saving grace is that our new low-income makes us eligible now for municipal recreation passes, low-income food store, etc. Because I'm self-employed, we had to go without sufficient income *and* these for a full year. But as of our latest tax return, it's all coming together. For anyone "caught in the middle", looking into these kinds of supports is advisable. Gives you some breathing room so you have a chance to get back on your feet.

An awesome Canada thing is the RDSP for children and adults with specific disability effects. 300% matching contribution from government, etc.

Mr. Minsc

• Stubble
    • ThriftyHamster
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2014, 11:36:13 AM »
I just crunched some numbers on my Koodo cell plan.

Currently I'm using the old Serving Size 100 Plan.  Here's what this gets me:

- 100 free daytime minutes a month
- unlimited nights and weekends
- 50 free sent messages a month

Tax included this runs me $23.60 per month or $283.20 a year.  Over the past year I used roughly 725 minutes which averaged out to 60 minutes per month.  25% of my airtime was left untouched, that's a sizeable chunk.

Koodo's base prepaid plan runs at $15/month for unlimited messaging with 500 minute talk boosters costing $25.  Doing the math, one years subscription to the base plan plus two talk boosters would cost me $262.20 (tax included).  This is a difference of $21 for the year in favour of the prepaid plan with the added bonus of call display, unlimited messaging, voice mail and unused minutes carrying over to the next year.  I'm seeing little reason to not go per-paid.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!