Author Topic: Any bike route sites out there?  (Read 5767 times)

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
Any bike route sites out there?
« on: September 02, 2014, 05:35:10 PM »
Hey all, I've been reading the blog and forums for quite a while and used to bike to work.  Unfortunately I took a step backwards in getting mustachianism by getting a new job further away from where I live and an apartment even further from my new job!  The pay and opportunity was worth it, but I still haven't figured out a biking route.  I live 30 miles from my work.  If anyone knows the Orange County area, specifically I need to get from Anaheim to Aliso Viejo.  I've tried google maps bike route beta thing, but it seems quite fragmented.  I might settle for driving my truck partways and biking the rest, parking at a Wallymart or something for now. 

Also, side question:  How do you guys bike in the rain?  My coworkers tell me it gets wet more often down in Aliso because they're closer to the coast.  I wear glasses and hated it when I rode 7 miles to work, but made do.  30 miles tho is a different story and not sure I'd do that.  Maybe I need to be more badass, heheh.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 05:39:24 PM by Johnez »

MikeBear

• Bristles

Eric

• Magnum Stache
Re: Any bike route sites out there?
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 06:30:18 PM »
I also use The Google, but by supplementing their suggested routes with liberal use of Street View to make sure that the streets are actually suitable for biking.

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 06:35:35 PM »
Google Maps Bike is my sole source of biking information. Their recommended path is usually pretty good, and then you tweak from there to avoid certain hazards (i.e. double lane freeway entrance, no bike lane, etc.). My path goes from Costa Mesa to Lake Forest, a mere 15 mile trek and that takes about an hour even with trails half of the way.

Only advice to bumping it up from 7 to 30 mi is to take it at a pace, it's not a race. Give yourself plenty of time, it might take around 2 hours+ to make that distance, exacerbated by traffic lights.
Actually... unless you plan to be biking for 4.5-5+ hours every day, which you might physically have trouble keeping up with... you should probably go with driving part ways. Exceptions to this rule join the ranks of the Super Mustachian Elite Cyclers (see sig link and feel free to add yourself).

We're in a drought lately, so rain has not been a problem all summer. And while it might seem cloudy and overcast early mornings, even in the winter days it hardly ever translates in to real rain coming down.
What it really means is that it gets a good bit hotter closer inland, and cools off a lot faster near the coast. Nothing to worry about.

Don't forget to keep your bike clean and salty moisture free.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 06:39:24 PM »
Bikely.

You choose where from and where to and the members on the site have already found about 27 different ways to get there. Love it. Use it all the time (the .au version obviously).

Plus Bikely lets you download the map as a .gpx file, so if you have a Garmin (bought used, of course ;) ) you can upload the map to your device and get on-the-fly navigational instructions.

:)

Google maps lets you choose your own route. Some of their biking suggestions in my area have been particularly crap. Bikely is actual information from real people, not some random Google algorithm.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 06:41:57 PM by Primm »

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 06:32:12 AM »
There's also MapMyRide which I've found to be pretty good. It's mostly to track where you've biked to or from, but other users have uploaded their own routes onto the site for others to see. Perhaps one exists for you area? http://www.mapmyride.com/

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 07:26:45 AM »
what about local bike clubs? In KC, I've found a few that put out their own maps at you can get in the local stores

scottydog

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 11:31:50 AM »
These are some great ideas!  I also use Google, and since all of my riding has been within the city it has been quite good.

As for biking in the rain, I personally take my glasses off.  I luckily have a mild far-sighted prescription so I can still see well enough to ride.  I also find that I wear as little as possible because any time I've worn rain gear I have sweated so much that I got just as wet and felt far less comfortable.  Of course, that works best if there's a place to change at your destination.

Also, when I'm biking in the rain I use extra flashing lights on the front and rear.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 05:27:53 AM »
Thanks for all the helpful replies everyone!  I think considering the distance it's best to drive partway, it sounds so wussypantsy tho.  :(  Searching for a closer apartment in the meantime. 

Google Maps Bike is my sole source of biking information. Their recommended path is usually pretty good, and then you tweak from there to avoid certain hazards (i.e. double lane freeway entrance, no bike lane, etc.). My path goes from Costa Mesa to Lake Forest, a mere 15 mile trek and that takes about an hour even with trails half of the way.

Only advice to bumping it up from 7 to 30 mi is to take it at a pace, it's not a race. Give yourself plenty of time, it might take around 2 hours+ to make that distance, exacerbated by traffic lights.
Actually... unless you plan to be biking for 4.5-5+ hours every day, which you might physically have trouble keeping up with... you should probably go with driving part ways. Exceptions to this rule join the ranks of the Super Mustachian Elite Cyclers (see sig link and feel free to add yourself).

I'm letting the fact that I probably won't be able to stay on the saddle after a shift of work.  I just really want to get rid of my truck, I could nearly fund my entire Roth if I could.  4-5 hours a day on a bike is a bit much, that is for sure!

There's also MapMyRide which I've found to be pretty good. It's mostly to track where you've biked to or from, but other users have uploaded their own routes onto the site for others to see. Perhaps one exists for you area? http://www.mapmyride.com/

Good to know, I'll check it out.  I think this was a site I stumbled upon years ago and couldn't remember the link.

Bikely.

You choose where from and where to and the members on the site have already found about 27 different ways to get there. Love it. Use it all the time (the .au version obviously).

Plus Bikely lets you download the map as a .gpx file, so if you have a Garmin (bought used, of course ;) ) you can upload the map to your device and get on-the-fly navigational instructions.

:)

Google maps lets you choose your own route. Some of their biking suggestions in my area have been particularly crap. Bikely is actual information from real people, not some random Google algorithm.

I've found a route from Anaheim to San Clemente that I could tweak-thanks for the heads up!

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 11:30:53 AM »
Oh, you snuck another question in!  Tricky!

Also, side question:  How do you guys bike in the rain?  My coworkers tell me it gets wet more often down in Aliso because they're closer to the coast.  I wear glasses and hated it when I rode 7 miles to work, but made do.  30 miles tho is a different story and not sure I'd do that.  Maybe I need to be more badass, heheh.

I also wear glasses.  I've found that wearing a baseball hat under my helmet helps keep a lot of the rain off of my glasses.  It's not perfect, but it's way better than without the hat.  And I just wipe them off at stop lights as necessary.

TrMama

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 11:52:43 AM »
I live in the PNW so rain is just part of life. If I lived somewhere warmer (like Southern CA ;-) it would be easy peasy. You will need:

1. Fenders
2. A badass attitude
3. To come to terms with the idea that you'll get wet

Getting wet is fine. I promise you won't melt. Once you arrive, you'll probably need a shower or a wipe down anyway, so just think of it as the pre-soak step.

Stick to non-cotton fabrics for your clothes. Wear that quick dry polyester stuff. I like to wear bike gloves to help with gripping wet handlebars and brake levers.

I also wear glasses. They get wet. It's kind of annoying, but I can't see at all without them. I just dry them off when I arrive.

Also, do not corner fast on wet pavement. Do not lean into a turn. Remain totally upright. Crashing hurts.

jrmrjnck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 12:21:38 PM »
Also check out Strava heat map (http://labs.strava.com/heatmap). It's great for finding out which routes people actually use, although I suspect a good portion of the recorded rides on Strava are 7 AM weekend rides when traffic is less of an issue.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 12:26:10 PM »
Stick to non-cotton fabrics for your clothes. Wear that quick dry polyester stuff.

Definitely.  You want to make sure your clothes dry before it's time to head home as well.

I like to wear bike gloves to help with gripping wet handlebars and brake levers.

I've been using dish gloves.  They work like a charm and they're long enough that they stay tucked into the sleeves of my raincoat without coming out.  Plus they cost about $.50.