Author Topic: Any bald mustachians out there?  (Read 3558 times)

sieben

• Stubble
Any bald mustachians out there?
« on: August 15, 2016, 11:16:55 PM »
Hi all,

So I've been balding for the last decade or so and have been shaving my head for most of that time.
I'm wondering if any one in a similar situation has a cost effective way/razor that they are using?

I just can't seem to find a razor that works properly/consistently.

I used a HeadBlade for quite awhile but I've been really unimpressed with their newest model.
I'd be game for something manual or electric as long as it's reasonably priced and I'm not accidentally slicing open my head all the time.

Any thoughts?

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Any bald mustachians out there?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 11:26:36 PM »
I can empathize, but I have no great suggestions, alas. I am at an moderate-advanced stage of balding myself and have so far just been going with the no-guard buzz cut approach, largely due to laziness. Works well enough, imo. Looks pretty good as long as I cut my hair at least once/week, and is both cheaper and more convenient than going for a full shave.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 08:48:23 AM »
I can empathize, but I have no great suggestions, alas. I am at an moderate-advanced stage of balding myself and have so far just been going with the no-guard buzz cut approach, largely due to laziness. Works well enough, imo. Looks pretty good as long as I cut my hair at least once/week, and is both cheaper and more convenient than going for a full shave.
Similar situation.  I don't shave it to the scalp, but rather use the hair clippers every couple weeks.

afulldeck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 01:52:16 PM »
I've never like the headblade.

I shave my head everyday in the shower and use any 3 blade razors that I pick up at cosco. Each razor seems to last around 3-4 weeks. Also, I use a brush and proraso for saving cream (hint: if you leave the top off, it hardens a bit and I find it makes a better lather and last longer).

VladTheImpaler

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 02:01:42 PM »
I just use an electric Wahl clipper set with a bunch of guards about once a week.
If I want to go really short I can take the guard off.
I think the whole set was $65 and I bought it 5 years ago.
Haven't paid for a haircut in a few years.

kenaces

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 02:14:26 PM »
I have been using clippers I purchased maybe 15 years ago on head and beard, but 6 months ago I got a skull shaver and really love it.  It might not be the most MMM purchase(depending on how long it lasts) but at least I use it almost everyday.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FBN0K2E/ref=sxr_pa_click_within_right_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2329824862&pf_rd_r=B6GVM8VVBGW37E596REE&pd_rd_wg=yEHoN&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=tFnL4&pf_rd_i=skull+shaver&pd_rd_r=VRTPZ8HW2A5N38BNA701&psc=1

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 04:30:45 PM »
How about bevel?
https://getbevel.com/

sieben

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 09:50:41 PM »
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the great suggestions.
I've thought about just doing the buzz cut thing, but I really like the way a cleanly shaved head looks/feels.
Sounds like I may have to try a few things and see what sticks.

Thanks!

D Bopp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 12:35:11 PM »
I shave my head every day in the shower. The best razor I've found is a Schick Quattro. I can usually use a blade cartridge for about 2 months. I just dry the blade off after every shower. The moisture is what kills the blade. You can stretch them out for a lot longer than they advertise.  I probably buy a pack of blades once a year.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 12:41:29 PM »
DH just uses wahl type clippers with the shortest guard.  He looks great!

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 02:11:37 PM »
Another +1 on clippers.  Use a #2 every two weeks.  Done.  About $30 spent on a Wahl 5+ years ago.  Trivial amount of electricity used.  Labor rate of $0 provided by my lovely wife.