Author Topic: Any audiophiles out there? Need advice  (Read 2797 times)

frugalfoothills

• Bristles
    • Bulls, Bears and Beers
Any audiophiles out there? Need advice
« on: July 10, 2018, 09:19:21 AM »
My dad has a vintage analog Denon AM/FM receiver and amplifier, turntable, dual-deck cassette tape player/recorder, 6-disc CD player, and two Klipsch floor-standing speakers that he purchased in the late 80's (he's going to get me the exact date.) Was considered "state of the art" for that time. Still has all the manuals and everything (might even still have the boxes up in his attic) and he keeps things in pristine condition, so I have to think it's in really great shape. He wants me to help him sell the set as he's not using it these days.

He paid about $2K for it back when he bought it and he feels like there might be some electronics collectors/junkies out there who would value this thing at even higher than that. I obviously have no idea about any of this and don't even know where to begin... I have a lot of experience buying/selling furniture on the secondary market but no experience with electronics/AV. Anyone out there know of any forums or sites I could hit to try to figure out what this thing is worth? Anyone have any tips for selling something like this? Anyone know whether it's a total waste of time or not?

Any advice appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:07:54 AM by frugalfoothills »

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
Re: Any audiophiles out there? Need advice
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 10:46:02 AM »
The only thing I can tell you is to pop that info into eBay and see if anyone is selling the same thing or similar and see what they are asking for it.  If you don't find anything, then I would just toss it.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 11:02:26 AM »
Yeah, check ebay and sites like http://www.usaudiomart.com/

Some older equipment is still worth something to collectors, but in general, I see a lot of the old high-end stuff going for pennies on the dollar. I bought a Nakamichi tape deck and a  Cambridge Audio CD player off ebay - cost less than $70 total, and they were both pretty expensive items when new.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 11:15:04 AM »
^^^ check the models on Ebay. you never know.

I had a worthless Denon cd player but also had an ancient Sansui receiver that went for over $500 in 30yr old condition

good luck!!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 11:54:03 AM »
Check out Audiogon as well.

frugalfoothills

• Bristles
    • Bulls, Bears and Beers
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 12:31:34 PM »
Thanks! Definitely going to cruise eBay and some of those other sites to see what I can find. I was kind of concerned that he might think it's worth more than it actually is, just because he paid so much for it back then... plus, we are always wanting to believe OUR things are VERY VALUABLE because they're OURS, right? ;)

Thanks again for all the help.

shawndoggy

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 12:46:19 PM »
Thanks! Definitely going to cruise eBay and some of those other sites to see what I can find. I was kind of concerned that he might think it's worth more than it actually is, just because he paid so much for it back then... plus, we are always wanting to believe OUR things are VERY VALUABLE because they're OURS, right? ;)

Thanks again for all the help.

It's 30 year old electronics!  I mean VCRs and standard def "big screen" TVs were real expensive too.

(which isn't to say it's not valuable, but I've been able to pick up nice stuff on craigs for my "garage stereo" for CHEAP)

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 01:58:05 PM »
Most old gear is just ... old.

I'd be surprised if 30+ y.o. speakers didn't have dry-rotted surrounds on them.  Maybe if they are original Klispchhorns (sp?) or something...

A turntable or reel-to-reel might elicit some interest from some eccentric somewhere.

A few 'classic' amplifiers could also do well.

I'd be shocked if an ancient receiver, cassette deck, or CD changer will get any interest at all.   Do folks still play CDs?  I haven't touched mine since I ripped them 15 years ago...

frugalfoothills

• Bristles
    • Bulls, Bears and Beers
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 02:00:40 PM »

I'd be surprised if 30+ y.o. speakers didn't have dry-rotted surrounds on them.  Maybe if they are original Klispchhorns (sp?) or something...

A turntable or reel-to-reel might elicit some interest from some eccentric somewhere.

A few 'classic' amplifiers could also do well.

I'd be shocked if an ancient receiver, cassette deck, or CD changer will get any interest at all.   Do folks still play CDs?  I haven't touched mine since I ripped them 15 years ago...

Yeah I have no idea. I mean, there's a reason my dad isn't using all this "amazing" equipment, right? Because it's a huge pain in the ass and very outdated. Gotta think if there's a market for stuff like this, it would be pretty small.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 02:54:17 PM »
^^^ check the models on Ebay. you never know.

I had a worthless Denon cd player but also had an ancient Sansui receiver that went for over $500 in 30yr old condition

good luck!!

Well I'll be damned.

My mom has an old system her brother brought her back from either Thailand/Vietnam when he came back from the war in the early 70's

I know the speakers are Sansui, and I'm pretty sure the receiver is as well. I'll have to check it out next time I'm over there.

This looks familiar:
https://reverb.com/item/11138545-sansui-9090-stereo-receiver-1975-vintage-classic-110-watts-per-channel-one-owner-clean?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhISsyLSV3AIVzrjACh2RkAeGEAQYAiABEgKru_D_BwE&pla=1

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
  • "The Concierge of Cash"
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 03:22:27 PM »
Some of the old receivers actually put out more power per channel than the new stuff. Be sure to do your research online and see what these things are going for. Of course, since many of the people who might bid on such things are part historian/buff/collector, the better aesthetic condition it's in the more likely it will sell at these much higher prices.

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-can-30-year-old-receivers-sound-better-than-new-ones/

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 11:25:32 AM »
Anyone have any tips for selling something like this? Anyone know whether it's a total waste of time or not?

Start it for a penny on eBay and it goes for what it goes for.  I start almost all my auctions at $0.01, because it gets the most people interested to fight over it at the last minute.

Shipping on something like that will suck, though.  You may want to put the heavy stuff as local pickup only or buyer arranges shipping.

mbl

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 08:44:15 AM »

Yes, the guts would need attention.

My DH has 4 Klipsch La Scalas, and 2 Cornwalls.
He refurbed the crossovers and the speakers are as good as they day he bought them in 1978.

We have a lot of land and space to play music quite loud.
The Cornwalls have casters on the bottom so they get rolled in and out as needed.

pinkfloyd4ever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 02:32:37 PM »
Hey there. I guess I'd consider myself a budget-minded part-time vintage audiophile, as much as I allow myself to be anyway.

Yes there is definitely a market for vintage stereo equipment. The value of the piece depends a lot on the condition, as well as the era it was made and of course how good of a piece it was to begin with.

Vinyl is of course in the middle of a major resurgence. Yes people definitely still play CDs, and you'd be amazed how much some people will pay for certain models of reel-to-reel and even cassette tape players in good condition. Rotted foam woofer surrounds can be replaced fairly easily and cheaply (obviously only worth it for a halfway decent set of speakers).

dcozad999, if you know someone with a Sansui 9090, those can be worth around $1k depending on condition. They're among the best 2-channel receivers ever made and highly sought after. I'd love to own a similar caliber Sansui at some point...when finances and space allow.

To the OP, the best way to find out the value of what you have is to open an account on audiokarma.org and ask in the "Dollars and Sense" section http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?forums/dollars-and-sense.128/

Searching ebay's sold listings is a decent option too. Just make sure you're looking at the Sold listings, not just stuff that's for sale. Lots of people list vintage stereo stuff for way more than it's really worth or ever actually sells for hoping that some naive deep-pocketed hipster will pony up twice what their receiver is worth without doing any research first.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 04:18:34 PM by pinkfloyd4ever »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!