Author Topic: Any Android experts out there?  (Read 4727 times)

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
Any Android experts out there?
« on: June 18, 2016, 08:18:24 AM »
I'm seeking some troubleshooting or possibly different phone advice.  I got a Galaxy S III when it first release and loved it.  I broke the screen about 6 months ago and the cheapest option I found was a refurb from Gamestop.  Ever since the change, I've had problems with apps hanging and general poor performance and slow apps.  Sometimes when someone calls, it never pops up the answer or reject buttons.  Maps app just stops giving directions.  It will go hours without checking Outlook.  I use the phone for work and I need to be able to talk to clients and find their locations.  Both phones are 16GB, and I tend to use 1/2 to 3/4 of it. I've factory reset twice, but it still runs flaky. 

I suspect that Android 4.4 is past it's shelf life and the apps have updated themselves beyond 4.4's capabilities.  Any suggestions?  Any newer phones out there for less than $300 that will perform at the same level as my GSIII did when new? 

z6_esb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Any Android experts out there?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 08:32:15 AM »
My significant other still has S3. Make sure OS is updated and constantly shut down apps using the task killer. Some stuff runs in background and sucks up RAM and battery.

Try Waze instead of Maps if you can download it.

Try looking at outlook settings. You may have not done configuration the same?

Galaxy Alpha is on special sometimes... It was a failed IPhone 5 competitor. It's what I have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 09:05:11 AM »
Unless there is something I don't know, the GSIII is stuck on 4.4, I cannot upgrade the OS

Waze locks up more than maps

The outlook issue is intermittent.  Sometimes it gets email before my laptop, other times it's hours late. 

I only turn on my wifi at home.  I turn on location services when I run maps or my geocache app, then turn it back off
The only apps that I use are Outlook, text, phone, maps, podcast addict, c.geo, map my walk, flashlight, camera, and sudoku.  Occasionally will use chrome, but my laptop is much easier for browsing.  If it wasn't for missing calls and emails from clients, it would just be a minor annoyance that I could easily just deal with. 

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 08:04:13 PM »
Check ebay. We got Galaxy S5s a few months back--used in excellent condition--for less than $200 each. They each came with a case, one came with an extra battery and one came with an extra sd card. The S5 and S7 are also waterproof.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 08:07:44 PM »
A ton of issues can be solved by a simple factory reset - I highly recommend that as the first step in any situation where your phone is being weird or slow.

hodor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 12:02:55 AM »
Samsung phones come with too much bloatware, best thing you can do is install vanilla android 6.xx. It'll be a faster cleaner experience.

http://www.teamandroid.com/2016/01/06/install-android-601-temasek-galaxy-s3-i9300-marshmallow-custom-rom/

Please note I haven't used the upgrade in the link as I don't have an s3 anymore. My old S3 always did better with Vanilla Android until it physically smashed while I was working.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 12:43:58 AM »
A ton of issues can be solved by a simple factory reset - I highly recommend that as the first step in any situation where your phone is being weird or slow.

I'm seeking some troubleshooting or possibly different phone advice.  I got a Galaxy S III when it first release and loved it.  I broke the screen about 6 months ago and the cheapest option I found was a refurb from Gamestop.  Ever since the change, I've had problems with apps hanging and general poor performance and slow apps.  Sometimes when someone calls, it never pops up the answer or reject buttons.  Maps app just stops giving directions.  It will go hours without checking Outlook.  I use the phone for work and I need to be able to talk to clients and find their locations.  Both phones are 16GB, and I tend to use 1/2 to 3/4 of it. I've factory reset twice, but it still runs flaky. 

I suspect that Android 4.4 is past it's shelf life and the apps have updated themselves beyond 4.4's capabilities.  Any suggestions?  Any newer phones out there for less than $300 that will perform at the same level as my GSIII did when new? 

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 08:41:15 AM »
You can get a One Plus One for $250 new, and it's a pretty solid phone.

https://oneplus.net/oneplus-one

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 09:22:48 AM »
I broke the screen about 6 months ago and the cheapest option I found was a refurb from Gamestop.
Both phones are 16GB

You could have just gotten a flaky, crap refurb unit from Gamestop. They're so low on my list of places I think of going to for a used cell phone, they're literally not even on my radar. (Wait, Gamestop sells phones? Whut.) Seriously. According to your post, your problems literally didn't start until after you switched phones, so stop thinking it's the software. My fondness for Android may have decreased considerably over the past year and change, but your symptoms don't describe the OS flaking out, they describe hardware problems. The "refurb" was probably dropped a lot, and broke a few soldering connections and traces, and the motherboard is likely damaged. There might even have been some moisture damage. No telling.

The problem with your first phone was it had a broken screen. Your solution should have been to replace the screen, not the phone. The good news is, you can probably do that now for very little extra money because you now have a flaky S3 that you can poach a replacement screen from for free (excuse a cheap set of tools) - though technically you'd just be swapping motherboards at this point. You could probably even safely stop after step #22 instead of swapping out the camera fiddly bit since everything should already be there on both. It's not really like you have much to lose at this point.

That said, if you're still too intimidated to try a parts replacement or you find it doesn't actually fix the problem, then you should be shopping for a "new" phone. Is there any particular and specific app(s) for Android that you absolutely must have? I gotta be honest with you, if you can ditch Android, do it.

Opt instead for a Windows Lumia phone that can run Windows 10 Mobile. You didn't mention which carrier you have, so I can't recommend a specific model to purchase, but if you're with AT&T/T-Mobile, the Lumia 640 (AT&T RM-1072 or T-mobile RM-1073, carrier unlocked) is an excellent value currently. It is a phone that looks, feels and responds like a $300+ mid-range flagship phone for well under $70 practically new that plays well with everyone else's cloud services (both Apple and Google).

Don't listen to the "app gap" nay-sayers (check for yourself), and don't listen to the "Windows Phone is dead" knuckleheads, either. It's a good platform, fast, stable, really easy to decrapify the phone and remove all the useless carrier software, and hardly abandoned... and this is coming from a long-time Linux using, Microsoft hatin', scruffy IT neckbeard. I like the Windows Mobile 8.1/10 platform so much, I've abandoned my older physical keyboard phones (Blackberry and Nokia Symbian) for a Lumia. It's a phone that combines all the "right" parts of both iOS and Android into one device that actually has a consistent user interface, and can actually be set up to use barely any mobile data at all without sacrificing usability. Battery life is also great for a smartphone.

What can I say? Satya Nadella has been good for the company.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that if you're really wanting to upgrade the Android build on your S3, go with Cyanogenmod. Bit more mainstream and actively supported. But I would do this on a functioning S3, and not exactly expect it to "fix" what ails the current refurb you're using.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 10:09:54 AM by I.P. Daley »

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 01:22:01 PM »
I never would have considered any windows phone without your above post....

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 01:31:04 PM »
Indeed, wow.

I.P. Daley, can you expand on how it can be set up to barely use any mobile data?  That's been my beef with my Android phone over the past year or so.  I feel like my own actual usage hasn't changed, but my phone has been chewing through more data.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 02:07:48 PM »
Indeed, wow.

I.P. Daley, can you expand on how it can be set up to barely use any mobile data?  That's been my beef with my Android phone over the past year or so.  I feel like my own actual usage hasn't changed, but my phone has been chewing through more data.

I feel like I'm hijacking the thread. The short answer? The built in Battery Sense and Data Sense options. I've had my own WP for less time than my wife, but with things set up as they are, she's getting new mail notifications and weather updates every couple hours and mobile data is wide open though Data Sense is set to a 50MB/month "budget" so it highly prioritizes what gets used and restricts all but necessary communications. Dirt simple to set up and the OS level data gatekeeper is aggressive. As tweaked, her baseline "background" mobile data usage comes in at between 8-10MB/month, screaming max, and I could probably shave that lower if I wanted.

I'll have to spin off a thread soon going into details when I get the opportunity.

tjthebest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 03:31:54 PM »

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 03:40:23 PM »

Indeed.  That's probably not enough for me to toss the phone I have.  (I tend to hold onto phones for YEARS).  But I think IP and I are from the same "old crusty unix bastard" mold.  It would at least make me look at them in 5 years when my current phone will have bloated to the point of non-working.