Author Topic: Any advice for someone who looks much younger than they actually are??  (Read 8168 times)

misterhorsey

• Bristles
Re: Any advice for someone who looks much younger than they actually are??
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2017, 06:58:28 AM »
Dr James Hamblin suffers the same fate:

https://www.theatlantic.com/video/index/383180/how-old-are-you/

Me too. I got asked for ID when I was buying alcohol last year. I'm 41!

If you're in your mid twenties, my advice to you would be to deal with it. As it's not going to go away quickly. Appreciate that in the long run it's not a bad thing. Rightly or wrongly, youth is still highly valued in our societies. A person who combines youthful looks with intelligent insight and experience is very impressive.

You can never control what assumptions people make about you (and you have NO IDEA what assumptions they are making about you based on your appearance: age, weight, height, clothing, ethnicity, perceived ethnicity, hair etc etc). It can do your head in trying to counter for other people's presumptions. It's not worth the bother.

What you can do is let your actions, ideas and expertise speak for itself.  If they think you're the lowly intern, surprise them on the upside with your thoughtful contributions and insight.  Laugh off any jokes about your age, but don't really engage with the banter - it's adding fuel to fire.

Of course, if it's low level harassment based on age or perceived age, that's another matter.

TL8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2017, 07:13:43 AM »
A few pieces of advice, most of which seem to have already been covered:

1) Dress on the formal side, unless it's inappropriate in your work environment. A suit and tie, especially a three-piece suit, will add a bit of gravitas. Caveat: If your work environment is super casual, this will make you look ridiculous, so consider the circumstances.

2) Make sure your suits and dress shirts fit well. Off the rack clothing is fine if it fits and looks good. If you're relatively slim, lean towards slimmer cuts and definitely avoid anything baggy. In my opinion a cut-away collar tends to work well with slimmer men (I'm one).

3) Try to put on some additional muscle, especially in your shoulders and chest. This will help fill out a suit and improve your visual impression.

4) Try to improve your posture. I think this is actually more important than your physical size. Sitting up straight and standing up straight help a lot.

5) In meetings, avoid talking too quickly or raising the pitch of your voice. A lower voice carries more authority.

6) If relevant, acknowledge your lack of experience before making a point in meetings. This may help defuse the issue in advance and mitigate some of the resistance from your coworkers. Try to be conscious of how you might appear to a man in his 50s. You're 26 and you're in meetings with 50-year-olds. Imagine what it would be like if you had to meet with someone half your age, and that 13-year-old insisted on giving you advice. Your ideas may be great, but consider that there's going to be some natural resistance and approach that aspect of the relationship with empathy. In my experience, this sort of approach is likely to make you more effective.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2017, 11:58:10 AM »
You could start smoking, getting sun damage, and eating like crap.  All three will age you prematurely and cause some nice skin damage.  Excessive drinking helps with this as well.

If your going that route, Crack will get you there old faster.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!