Author Topic: Another update on my layoff  (Read 3950 times)

freelancerNfulltimer

• Stubble
Another update on my layoff
« on: August 25, 2013, 02:13:47 PM »
I just wanted to share an update on my layoff from a month ago. I aggressively took on freelance work and was applying for full-time positions at the same time. Two weeks ago I accepted and started a new full-time job. I'm making $10,000 more a year than I was making at my previous job and I still have to clear out all the freelance projects I took deposits on. In the short term I'm overworked but in the long-term I think this will just increase my savings goal for the end of the year and put me in a better position to buy a rental property that I've been saving for. Plus I get the sense at my new job there's a lot of room for large raises and bonuses. I've been getting tons of positive feedback from the CEO/CFO and been told that as the company grows that I'll have a leadership role in the web department. It's really overwhelming how happy they are with my work so far. I think it's going to turn out to actually a better fit for me than my previous position.

I had some initial reservations about taking the job (or any full-time job after I saw how my freelancing was going) but I'm glad I did because the week I started it my husband found out he's been laid off as well. He's got three months notice and one months severance after that so we are fairly confident (knock on wood) that he will be able to find a new job without a disruption in income.

I am just grateful that I had savings to lean on even though I ended up not needing it. It gave me peace of mind in an upsetting time.

CrochetStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Another update on my layoff
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 03:06:52 PM »
That is great to hear such wonderful positives have come from a negative layoff situation. Hopefully your husband will be able to bounce back as well as you have. Either way, that cushion of savings makes so many things so much more manageable.

Peony

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 03:10:02 PM »
Congratulations on landing on your feet! I hope all goes just as well for your husband.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 03:22:40 PM »
That's an impressive demonstration of the power of optimism and hard work. Congratulations!

Sorry to hear about your husband. It sounds, though, like you two have all the tools you need to get back on track (and then some).

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 04:20:01 PM »
Wow, congratulations!  Sorry about your husband-I hope he can bounce back just as quickly!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 05:58:12 PM »
I'm so happy for you!! Thanks for sharing :) This gives me hope, as I am looking for work as well.

freelancerNfulltimer

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 05:58:41 PM »
I'm so happy for you!! Thanks for sharing :) This gives me hope, as I am looking for work as well.

Good luck to you. I don't want to assume anything about your job hunt but I have found www.askamanager.org a very valuable resource in regards to writing cover letters, and navigating interviews. I was definitely rusty on interviews so I read that site voraciously and then gave myself practice interview questions to answer. When I actually went into the interview I had stock answers prepared for the questions I expected to be asked.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!