Author Topic: Another Should I Keep My Completely Unnecessary 4x4 Jeep  (Read 11238 times)

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
Another Should I Keep My Completely Unnecessary 4x4 Jeep
« on: May 28, 2014, 06:52:32 PM »
Hi guys!

I like getting yelled at when I need to be, which is what I think will be happening here, so I come for some good old fashioned advice.

I have a 1982 Jeep CJ7 lifted on 32x11.5" tires.

I used to have a truck but that got wrecked this past winter and so now I have the Jeep as my DD.

I commute to work with my roommate and my share of gas a month is $100 bucks, that's not changing regardless since we don't drive my jeep but either of his vehicles.

I drive my jeep only to the gym 6 days a week, which is the only good gym for powerlifting and is about 15 minutes away via vehicle with one trip being doubled for grocery runs.

I spend maybe another $120 bucks in gas for this a month.

Here's where the dilemma comes in.

I don't owe anything on the jeep and I absolutely love the damn thing.

I could sell it and lose my ass on it, I have about $8-9k in it, or try to trade it in and lose even more of my ass on it.

I would replace it with a fuel efficient hatch like a VW Golf, GTI, TDI, Mazda, or whatever.

I can also just buy one of those anyways and keep the Jeep and just take a little longer to pay off the loans.

In the next few months I'll be moving somewhere else for work, don't know where yet, but I will make it a priority to be within biking/walking distance of work/gym/groceries so driving will be held to a minimum.

The other thing is if I keep it I could bring it back down to stock height, put normal tires on it, and put a little more money to for tune ups. It also doesn't have AC which does suck.

Also considering a motorcycle and keeping jeep.

Here's my log for some more in depth info.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/working-on-dat-mustache/

Ok let me have it.

capital

• Bristles
Re: Another Should I Keep My Completely Unnecessary 4x4 Jeep
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 08:11:47 PM »
What you've paid for the Jeep is a sunk cost at this point, so let's ignore that. For pretty much every piece of machinery, no one's likely to pay you anywhere near what you did for upgrades.

Since you're planning on moving in a few months and potentially staying there a decent amount of time, you should plan for then, not now. Having a fuel-efficient car isn't a top priority when you're not actually driving very much, and since your jeep is already old it's unlikely to depreciate more.

Before you move, have you considered biking to the powerlifting gym, or investing in your own weights several days a week? $120/mo. in gym travel is a ton of money.

Do you actually go off-roading as a hobby? How expensive is that? Seems like your main expense would be fuel, at this point, which wouldn't be so bad. Have you considered trying mountain biking instead?

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 09:31:53 PM »
Do you actually go off-roading as a hobby?

Sort of my question, which is WTF you have a lifted, big-tired 4x4 that you only drive on effing pavement?

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 05:31:02 AM »
What you've paid for the Jeep is a sunk cost at this point, so let's ignore that. For pretty much every piece of machinery, no one's likely to pay you anywhere near what you did for upgrades.

Since you're planning on moving in a few months and potentially staying there a decent amount of time, you should plan for then, not now. Having a fuel-efficient car isn't a top priority when you're not actually driving very much, and since your jeep is already old it's unlikely to depreciate more.

Before you move, have you considered biking to the powerlifting gym, or investing in your own weights several days a week? $120/mo. in gym travel is a ton of money.

Do you actually go off-roading as a hobby? How expensive is that? Seems like your main expense would be fuel, at this point, which wouldn't be so bad. Have you considered trying mountain biking instead?

Planning for when I move definitely makes sense. I have considered buying a bike for the gym commute, I wish it was closer because the time lose is important to me. Right now home gym is defnitely out of the picture. I live in a smallish house with 2 other roomates and 5 vehicles between us. Although this is ultimately something I'll have to avoid paying stupid gym fees.

Do you actually go off-roading as a hobby?

Sort of my question, which is WTF you have a lifted, big-tired 4x4 that you only drive on effing pavement?

I used to off road rock crawling pretty heavily monthly back home when my jeep was my side toy. It wasn't all that much money as long as you didn't go crazy for upgrades. Since moving away from home and since my regular daily driver is gone I don't see rock crawling happeing anytime soon.

But I do see the occasional off the grid trip but that doesn't mean it can't be done in a non jeep or at least my jeep doesn't have to be lifted with such big tires...

Trying my best to not be such an excusypants.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 06:03:16 AM »
I am in a similar situation to you.  I've selfishly held onto my 2000 Wrangler, 4 inch suspension lift, one inch body lift, 35x12.50's.  It sat for an entire year after moving it weekly when I would mow the grass, followed by the battering going flat.   

I WAS using it fairly frequently during the winter.  When we would get a ton of snow, I would use it to take the wife to work, I never had to worry about getting to work myself.   We would go snowboarding at the local mountain (season passes, 15 min away).  Going on fresh snow was the closest we could get to 'amazing snowboarding' here on the icy east coast. 

Before the battery went flat, right after I got it inspected two years ago, the windshield cracked (Had the heat blasting to keep the wife warm on a drive over to go snowboarding, and I guess opening both side doors and the back hatch to get the gear out made to fast of a temp change and 'pop'..).

I have only gone offroading twice in the past 5 years.  I finally realized it was stupid to keep this 'toy' around.   Now I just need to get moving and finish getting it ready to go, inspected, and then listed to sell.

I personally don't find off-roading as fun as I used to... burning a bunch of gas to go tear up along a trail somewhere?  I had a friend of a friend riding with me the last time I went offroading, and he had a blast.  I USED to see it that way, but the past few times I've gone it's just about getting though things, the technical aspect of the trail/course, and not flipping over ;).  I have lots of other activities that are a higher priority, and are more fun.

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 07:32:15 AM »
I am in a similar situation to you.  I've selfishly held onto my 2000 Wrangler, 4 inch suspension lift, one inch body lift, 35x12.50's.  It sat for an entire year after moving it weekly when I would mow the grass, followed by the battering going flat.   

I WAS using it fairly frequently during the winter.  When we would get a ton of snow, I would use it to take the wife to work, I never had to worry about getting to work myself.   We would go snowboarding at the local mountain (season passes, 15 min away).  Going on fresh snow was the closest we could get to 'amazing snowboarding' here on the icy east coast. 

Before the battery went flat, right after I got it inspected two years ago, the windshield cracked (Had the heat blasting to keep the wife warm on a drive over to go snowboarding, and I guess opening both side doors and the back hatch to get the gear out made to fast of a temp change and 'pop'..).

I have only gone offroading twice in the past 5 years.  I finally realized it was stupid to keep this 'toy' around.   Now I just need to get moving and finish getting it ready to go, inspected, and then listed to sell.

I personally don't find off-roading as fun as I used to... burning a bunch of gas to go tear up along a trail somewhere?  I had a friend of a friend riding with me the last time I went offroading, and he had a blast.  I USED to see it that way, but the past few times I've gone it's just about getting though things, the technical aspect of the trail/course, and not flipping over ;).  I have lots of other activities that are a higher priority, and are more fun.

I live in Indiana currently and the jeep would have been a great vehicle to use for the amount of snow we got but!

There are air gaps everywhere, driving that thing under 20 degree weather was definitely not fun. There's no power steering and because I did the suspension for an off road purpose I didn't, at the time, care about driveline angles so I have crazy bump steer. If there was any ice on the road it makes for a bad combination. In town not a big deal as I'll just drive slow anyways but travelling longer distances is an issue.

Having said that I'll be moving down south where snow and ice happen very rarely. But if I do keep it I would probably add power steering and definitely fix the driveline issues so I can drive faster than 55 mph on the highway safely.

Merely dropping the lift and tires will fix that issue.

gahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 08:29:23 AM »
Sounds like the main question is whether you can retool the jeep for road use for less money than it would cost to trade it in on a more efficient vehicle.

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 09:18:07 AM »
Mustachianism is great but like everything else in life....moderation! Enjoy your damn Jeep. Make up for it other ways. It won't last forever. I know this is against the grain of a total Mustachian way of life but most of the people on this board could be FOS anyway! haha

plantingourpennies

• Bristles
  • None.
    • Money, Kittens, Happiness
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 09:37:51 AM »
We just sold ours - 2002 Wrangler Sport edition.  Just wasn't needed anymore, and we don't have the time to enjoy it or the need for that much hauling capacity these days.  For much of the last year it was hanging out in the grass next to the driveway, driven just enough to keep the battery and everything in working order.  But cleaned up, we really got a great price for it, so no complaints!

Edit for a spelling error.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 01:35:41 PM by plantingourpennies »

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »
I think my name implies my answer.... if you love it, keep it. Just make sure you continue saving.

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 12:58:04 PM »
All very good replies that I really appreciate.

The only real reason I think about this stuff is because that vehicle just isn't comfortable to have other people in. For instance this next weekend I'm going to have to borrow my roommmates truck to drive 2.5 hours away for a family friends graduation. I could deal with that in my jeep the way it is but I'm taking two people who are flying in as well. I really don't like to ask to borrow the truck but renting for me being under 25 is just stupid expensive.

But if I fix the driveline angles, either by dropping the lift or just fixing the current set up, it will at least drive better but still wouldn't be very comfortable with no AC and crappy heater.

So much going through my head it sickens me because of the simple life I try to live. But I refuse to make friends and family suffer because of my choices, and being uncomfortable in those rare times that I'll be driving just isn't acceptable to me.

plantingourpennies

• Bristles
  • None.
    • Money, Kittens, Happiness
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 01:41:22 PM »
Yeah, our Jeep couldn't really handle visitors.  The backseats were one of the first parts that got removed and stored in the attic.  Then the carpets, the big soft top frame, the doors were often in the garage off the Jeep when it was out and about...  What other car has such a less is more vibe?

That said, when visitors come to town, we often end up borrowing a sedan from Mr PoP's parents (our now only car is a Miata, so also 2 seats - no help there).  It makes me feel a little guilty sometimes, but much less so when we return it with a full tank of gas no matter how full it was when we borrowed it.  And the tank on that car is HUGE! 

Can you feel better about "renting" from your roommate if you send a couple of twenties or a full tank of gas his/her way? 

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 01:52:52 PM »
Yeah, our Jeep couldn't really handle visitors.  The backseats were one of the first parts that got removed and stored in the attic.  Then the carpets, the big soft top frame, the doors were often in the garage off the Jeep when it was out and about...  What other car has such a less is more vibe?

That said, when visitors come to town, we often end up borrowing a sedan from Mr PoP's parents (our now only car is a Miata, so also 2 seats - no help there).  It makes me feel a little guilty sometimes, but much less so when we return it with a full tank of gas no matter how full it was when we borrowed it.  And the tank on that car is HUGE! 

Can you feel better about "renting" from your roommate if you send a couple of twenties or a full tank of gas his/her way?

That's what I did last time I borrowed it, just filled up the gas tank for him, which I'm completely fine with. He's just trying to not put a lot of miles on the truck is all.

I still feel like it's a burden asking for it though with the understanding it'll have a full tank of gas when I return it.

But that's only temporary as whenever I move I really won't have that option anymore. I guess I need to find out how my work situation will be in the next few months to really decide on something to do.

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 06:17:51 PM »
Work situation has become even more haywire lol.

But atm I've completely gotten over keeping the jeep, it's just not practical in any way regardless of my emotional attachment to it.

I'm thinking about a Toyota Prius, Honda Fit, or possibly a Honda Accord.

Might take the jeep to a carmax later this month and see what they'd be willing to fork over for the jeep, it would at least give me an idea of what I could get bottom dollar for a trade in on it.

We will go from there.

Sonorous Epithet

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 06:51:38 PM »
I say keep the Jeep until you know where you're moving to. Then reassess.

When you do know where you are moving to, figure out if you can go car-free.

If you can go car free, then sell the Jeep. Set a budget line for car rental or zipcar or whatever for those times you do need a car and then stache the rest.

If you can't go car free, then run these numbers (subject to community tweaking)

Column A is keeping the Jeep. Estimate your miles driven per month and determine your gas budget, plus insurance, plus maintenance. Depreciation is optional, I'd lean towards leaving it out.

Column B is an efficient mustache-mobile. Estimate all of the above shit and then add in the monthly cost of a car loan. See which is cheaper.

If you can afford to buy a car outright, leave the loan payment out, and see how much cheaper it would be to operate, and then see how many months the new car takes to pay for itself, and see how reasonable it looks.

The numbers don't lie. I bought an older model of my Mazda even though a car two years newer got more than 10 extra mpg. I ran the numbers and it would have taken 10 years to recoup the difference based on the gas savings. But your numbers will be different. Run the numbers.

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 07:11:32 PM »
I say keep the Jeep until you know where you're moving to. Then reassess.

When you do know where you are moving to, figure out if you can go car-free.

If you can go car free, then sell the Jeep. Set a budget line for car rental or zipcar or whatever for those times you do need a car and then stache the rest.

If you can't go car free, then run these numbers (subject to community tweaking)

Column A is keeping the Jeep. Estimate your miles driven per month and determine your gas budget, plus insurance, plus maintenance. Depreciation is optional, I'd lean towards leaving it out.

Column B is an efficient mustache-mobile. Estimate all of the above shit and then add in the monthly cost of a car loan. See which is cheaper.

If you can afford to buy a car outright, leave the loan payment out, and see how much cheaper it would be to operate, and then see how many months the new car takes to pay for itself, and see how reasonable it looks.

The numbers don't lie. I bought an older model of my Mazda even though a car two years newer got more than 10 extra mpg. I ran the numbers and it would have taken 10 years to recoup the difference based on the gas savings. But your numbers will be different. Run the numbers.

Oh man I like that idea!

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 07:21:24 PM »
Doesn't sound that you have a big lift to worry about drive train. Sounds like it's a shackle lift and it rides rough because it's a jeep or it's the tires.

With it being an "82" your looking at constant repairs even if you don't go off road. So if your the kind of guy to do your own repair then I could see keeping it because you enjoy it. I use to drive a bronco with a 4in lift and 36's, I'd still be driving it today if I didn't have to move overseas. Had a fast back soft top...oh how I miss that truck. This was in 2005 when gas was breaking $3, I use to laugh at people selling vehicles and buying hybrids. Sure I was paying $100 fill ups but I only paid $4K for the truck and no depreciation, no loan interest, no full coverage, and did my own repairs. I do drive a car now with good MPG's and laugh at the jacked up trucks (I live in Kansas, what are they climbing)...It's an expensive hobby and I do miss it, but I'm in a better place.   

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 08:29:25 AM »
Doesn't sound that you have a big lift to worry about drive train. Sounds like it's a shackle lift and it rides rough because it's a jeep or it's the tires.

With it being an "82" your looking at constant repairs even if you don't go off road. So if your the kind of guy to do your own repair then I could see keeping it because you enjoy it. I use to drive a bronco with a 4in lift and 36's, I'd still be driving it today if I didn't have to move overseas. Had a fast back soft top...oh how I miss that truck. This was in 2005 when gas was breaking $3, I use to laugh at people selling vehicles and buying hybrids. Sure I was paying $100 fill ups but I only paid $4K for the truck and no depreciation, no loan interest, no full coverage, and did my own repairs. I do drive a car now with good MPG's and laugh at the jacked up trucks (I live in Kansas, what are they climbing)...It's an expensive hobby and I do miss it, but I'm in a better place.

It's definitely the shackles that are causing the problem. The springs themselves are very comfortable and can say this because when I'm on the highway where the road is free of bumps I can ride at 65 mph no problem, comfy as can be, when bumps start showing up... white knuckling begins.

Springs and shocks came from black diamond suspension, an upper middle value spring pack. Tires are BFGoodrich KM2 mud terrain's. I always buy quality stuff but was rubbing in the rear without the shackles. Smart move right now might be to go back to stock shackles since I'm not off roading anyways!

I think the idea about laying out an excel sheet with some hard numbers I'll be able to make a good decision.

Matte

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 08:55:09 AM »
I'd just keep it.  Its paid off and you don't use it much.  Anything you get youl have to insure which probably would cost way more on a newer car.  Since your Jeep is so old is it elidgeable for collectors insurance? Here if a vehicle is over 25 years old and in original condition you can get collectors insurance for like 150 dollars a year but you can't drive to work, such it sounds like you don't anyways

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 09:51:06 AM »
I'd just keep it.  Its paid off and you don't use it much.  Anything you get youl have to insure which probably would cost way more on a newer car.  Since your Jeep is so old is it elidgeable for collectors insurance? Here if a vehicle is over 25 years old and in original condition you can get collectors insurance for like 150 dollars a year but you can't drive to work, such it sounds like you don't anyways

The insurance is definitely something I'll look into, but I don't currently drive it to work and this is likely to change in the next upcoming months. My roommate has also brought forth that he doesn't like putting all the miles on his vehicles but understands why I haven't bought a car since I'm not planning on staying here.

WranglerBowman

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 12:56:02 PM »
I was in almost the same situation you are and went antimustician and bought a 2nd vehicle.  I had owned my Jeep for 6 years before a decided it was to unpractical to be a DD and thought about selling it for 2.5 seconds, but that would be like cutting off my leg.  My Jeep (97 Wrangler, 4in lift, 35in tires) had become a part of me that I could not severe, so I did a lot of research on good vehicles and what's a practical vehicle and ended up buying a 95 Honda Accord Wagon, 2.2 VTEC 6 years ago.  This was possibly the greatest investment of my life...I'm sure people are saying investment?  I found my car for $1100, had some body damage, needed new rotors, this and that.  I had it inspected, made the repairs myself, tagged, insured, and on the road for less than $300.  The car gets 28 to 32 mpg average, where as I was lucky to see 14 mpg in my Jeep.  I drive almost 100 miles a day so the Jeep really hurt me.  6 years, $900 in additional repairs/tires, and 126k miles later I'm still driving that car everyday!!!  I now have 267k miles on the car and I can haul 5 people and their stuff, 2x4's, my kayak, dead deer (from hunting), etc...  You can fit a lot in a wagon.  I would recommend a 94-97 Honda Accord 2.2 VTEC to anyone who needs a cheap commuter because they're cheap to buy, they last forever, parts are dirt cheap and readily available, and good gas mileage.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 02:01:52 PM »
If you already have it paid off, and it really isn't going to be worth that much for a trade in or private sale, why not just keep it and buy a fuel efficient car for less than $5,000?   Insurance and title have to be fairly cheap on a 30 year old car.   

Do you not have storage space for it?

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 03:20:41 PM »
I just skimmed all the responses, what is your emotional attachment level to it? For instance, I have too many cars, but one is one I got from my grandpa who bought it new, one is an "engagement present" from my wife, etc.

Otherwise I don't think you are spending enough in maintenance or gas to make going to a different car worth it from a pure dollar standpoint.

But not having A/C sucks in the midwest, and if you are talking about deep south, even worse. So I get that.

If you love it and it's not costing you much, you could always do some upgrades. A hot-rod style A/C is not very expensive (under $1k). Hardtop and hard doors would help too. Get some insulation or lizardskin down would help. I mean it would never be a Caddy but it could be much more comfortable.

As far as suspension woes, I think everything on Jeeps every has been scienced out and is fixable, just need some wrench time..

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 05:33:27 PM »
I was in almost the same situation you are and went antimustician and bought a 2nd vehicle.  I had owned my Jeep for 6 years before a decided it was to unpractical to be a DD and thought about selling it for 2.5 seconds, but that would be like cutting off my leg.  My Jeep (97 Wrangler, 4in lift, 35in tires) had become a part of me that I could not severe, so I did a lot of research on good vehicles and what's a practical vehicle and ended up buying a 95 Honda Accord Wagon, 2.2 VTEC 6 years ago.  This was possibly the greatest investment of my life...I'm sure people are saying investment?  I found my car for $1100, had some body damage, needed new rotors, this and that.  I had it inspected, made the repairs myself, tagged, insured, and on the road for less than $300.  The car gets 28 to 32 mpg average, where as I was lucky to see 14 mpg in my Jeep.  I drive almost 100 miles a day so the Jeep really hurt me.  6 years, $900 in additional repairs/tires, and 126k miles later I'm still driving that car everyday!!!  I now have 267k miles on the car and I can haul 5 people and their stuff, 2x4's, my kayak, dead deer (from hunting), etc...  You can fit a lot in a wagon.  I would recommend a 94-97 Honda Accord 2.2 VTEC to anyone who needs a cheap commuter because they're cheap to buy, they last forever, parts are dirt cheap and readily available, and good gas mileage.

I've definitely thought about this route but it seems counter to a somewhat minimalist lifestyle to have two vehicles, although it might be the best of both worlds. The other thing is I eventually want a motorcycle for an even more minimalist living. Having a regular car with cargo space and a motorcycle seems reasonable enough to me.

If you already have it paid off, and it really isn't going to be worth that much for a trade in or private sale, why not just keep it and buy a fuel efficient car for less than $5,000?   Insurance and title have to be fairly cheap on a 30 year old car.   

Do you not have storage space for it?

This is another possibiity, see above.

I just skimmed all the responses, what is your emotional attachment level to it? For instance, I have too many cars, but one is one I got from my grandpa who bought it new, one is an "engagement present" from my wife, etc.

Otherwise I don't think you are spending enough in maintenance or gas to make going to a different car worth it from a pure dollar standpoint.

But not having A/C sucks in the midwest, and if you are talking about deep south, even worse. So I get that.

If you love it and it's not costing you much, you could always do some upgrades. A hot-rod style A/C is not very expensive (under $1k). Hardtop and hard doors would help too. Get some insulation or lizardskin down would help. I mean it would never be a Caddy but it could be much more comfortable.

As far as suspension woes, I think everything on Jeeps every has been scienced out and is fixable, just need some wrench time..

There's a good amount of emotional attachment but it seems to be decreasing as time is going on.

Fuzz

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 10:53:04 PM »
Sell it! I'll give you the facepunch you need. You're mooching off your roommate pretty hard, you've wasted a bunch of money on upgrades ($8-9K?) on a 1982 jeep? It seems like you can't afford to buy another car outright, so sell it so you can buy another car. You'll feel better when you're driving your own car than when you're driving your roomie's truck every week. NOT WORTH IT. Also, not having a 4-wheeler is fine. You can still go wheelin' with your boys, but now you can drink in the passenger seat. Even better.

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2014, 05:38:58 AM »
Sell it! I'll give you the facepunch you need. You're mooching off your roommate pretty hard, you've wasted a bunch of money on upgrades ($8-9K?) on a 1982 jeep? It seems like you can't afford to buy another car outright, so sell it so you can buy another car. You'll feel better when you're driving your own car than when you're driving your roomie's truck every week. NOT WORTH IT. Also, not having a 4-wheeler is fine. You can still go wheelin' with your boys, but now you can drink in the passenger seat. Even better.

To be fair I'm not driving his truck at all, only when I've needed to "rent" it at the cost of a tank of gas to go far distances. Also the $8-9k is what I have into the jeep including the cost of the jeep.

But this doesn't change the fact that you're right I don't need a 4 wheeler. I "can" afford to buy another vehicle outright but I want to make the best financial decision in the long run.

Thanks for your input.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 05:56:47 AM »
I've definitely thought about this route but it seems counter to a somewhat minimalist lifestyle to have two vehicles, although it might be the best of both worlds. The other thing is I eventually want a motorcycle for an even more minimalist living. Having a regular car with cargo space and a motorcycle seems reasonable enough to me.

Jeep + trailer + motorcycle.

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 06:04:33 AM »

Jeep + trailer + motorcycle.

Haha, definitely thought about this option as well.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!