Author Topic: Another cell phone question- ATT phone, cheaper plans?  (Read 3514 times)

wtrfre

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Another cell phone question- ATT phone, cheaper plans?
« on: November 05, 2014, 07:49:20 PM »
I want a cheaper phone plan.  If we have an ATT phone, is there a company we can switch to without having to buy a new phone?
I see so many companies that can port in a Verizon phone, do I have the same options?

mike3725

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Another cell phone question- ATT phone, cheaper plans?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 07:53:25 PM »
I'm an advocate of Republic Wireless...even if you buy the cheapest phone from them the break even point may only be a couple months...depending on what you're use to paying.

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 02:54:49 AM »
A lot of people advocate Republic Wireless but you can only use their branded phones. Since you already have an AT&T phone I would look into Cricket Wireless. I was on AT&T and switched to Cricket with no problem. The phone doesn't even need to be unlocked. Just pick a plan and a SIM card on their site. They will mail it to you and will transfer your number when you activate your new SIM card. You will also have the same native AT&T coverage. One caveat is that Cricket's LTE data speed is capped at 8MB but it is plenty fast. They will also throttle your data once you go over your limit. If you want a referral shoot me a PM.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 07:29:50 AM »
I want a cheaper phone plan.  If we have an ATT phone, is there a company we can switch to without having to buy a new phone?
I see so many companies that can port in a Verizon phone, do I have the same options?

Have you found the guide yet? Your selection of AT&T and T-Mobile MVNOs is massive.

Also, I don't care how "cheap" buying a new handset is, it's just that. Cheap, not frugal. If you have to generate more electronic waste and keep running on the consumer treadmill just to save a couple bucks, you're doing it wrong. Republic's prices aren't that competitive if you do the math and leverage VoIP technology on your own, and you benefit by avoiding dealing with a company who has one of the most costly terms of service agreements out there.

FarmerPete

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 07:40:13 AM »
Cricket is a great option.  Especially if you have multiple lines.  $20 per line if you get 5 people in on it.

wtrfre

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 07:01:54 PM »
Thank you for the link.  I will be browsing it, and checking out Cricket.
Recent move from very rural/limited options to a metro area leaves me with so many choices and is a bit overwhelming at first.
I really don't want to buy a new phone unless I have to.

wheatstate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 03:42:57 PM »
One Option: Airvoice uses At+t phones and has affordable plans. 

Coverage should be the same as your current At+t plan.
Plans:
$10 a'la carte plan (2 cent texts, 4 cents per minute talk, 7 cents mb data), Lasts one month. 
$30 unlimited talk/text with 500 mb data

Website is basic.  It does have auto monthly renews if you like. 

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 03:53:20 PM »
+1 for Airvoice.  AT&T towers, US based service.  And if you get their $10/month or $10/3 month plan (and don't use it all), extra money rolls over. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!