Author Topic: Another car repair/replace thread  (Read 2577 times)

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
Another car repair/replace thread
« on: May 31, 2017, 08:00:30 AM »
I have basically the same question as posed in this thread https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=111053&share_tid=74267&url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Emrmoneymustache%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D74267&share_type=t but with slightly different details.  When do you repair versus buy another used car?

2003 Toyota Corolla, 165k miles, worth about $1000-$1500 because of city wear and tear.  Manual transmission.

The transmission pops out of fourth gear, but only when the car is warm.  We've had this problem for almost three years on and off, and had the transmission rebuilt in early 2015.  It didn't pop out for a while after the transmission was repaired, but started again within a year.  Brought it back to the shop, they're unable to replicate and tell us we must be driving wrong.  It still happens, we bring it back again in summer 2016 and again they can't replicate it.  Problem goes away over the winter, plus we barely drive the car.  But it is now happening again pretty consistently.

I know I need a new repair shop, and I have no idea what the problem is or how much it will cost to repair.  Between the transmission and some other work it has needed I'd say we're putting $1000-$1500 in repairs and maintenance a year into this car, which I've always thought was less than buying another used car, but now I'm beginning to doubt that.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
Re: Another car repair/replace thread
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 08:12:30 AM »
Google for recommended gear oil for that transmission, and change it yourself. Might help, who knows. It's a cheap way to see.

I'm suggesting this based on the difference between summer and winter (or hot and cold transmission temp). Oil viscosity perhaps?

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 03:12:28 PM »
Google for recommended gear oil for that transmission, and change it yourself. Might help, who knows. It's a cheap way to see.

I'm suggesting this based on the difference between summer and winter (or hot and cold transmission temp). Oil viscosity perhaps?

Thanks, for the suggestion.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 04:02:08 PM »
Yes, popping out of gear often means low on transmission oil.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 09:06:52 PM »
Or bent forks, or a badly torn up gear, or lots of other things.

Certainly change the fluid and make sure it's full, but that usually won't fix popping out of gear.

Does the car have a 4 speed in it, or a 5 speed?  For a 2003, I'd assume it was a 5 speed.

The simple answer is just skip shift over 4 and not use it.  I'd also toss a magnetic drain plug in and pay attention to any buildup, because a lot of metal buildup means things are rubbing and the transmission is not long for the world.

If you have to replace the transmission, get a junkyard transmission out of a wrecked car (enough body damage that it's clear why it's in the junkyard, preferably to the back of it).  It's unlikely that a wrecked car will have a trashed transmission as well, but a car with no major body damage is in a junkyard either for the engine or transmission.  The manuals usually don't die, but... still.  Wrecked car.  That shouldn't be particularly expensive, and just use whichever clutch is in better shape.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 10:00:29 PM »
Yeah, it's a 5 speed.  Skipping fourth is an option, but so annoying in our highway traffic patterns.

Anyway, I'll at least investigate enough to figure out what a repair could cost.  Thanks for the tip about transmission replacement, syonyk.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 10:12:15 PM »
Is it $1000 or $1500 worth of annoying?  If yes, replace the transmission.  If no, deal with it.  But double check the fluid levels and change it out anyway.  Will it stay in 4th if you keep your hand there?

I'm not sure how much a junkyard transmission would run to get installed - I'd probably do the work myself or with a friend, so I don't have a good feel for labor costs on something like that (I'm not as fast as a shop, but I'm also a lot cheaper).

You can also look for a repair manual that includes limit adjustment screws.  A lot of the older transmissions have various limit set screws, and fiddling with the limit screws for 4th might gain you a bit of an improvement.  It's also possible that if you have a cable actuated transmission, one of the cables needs tensioning.