Author Topic: Another car question, looking for other opinions!  (Read 4327 times)

samj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Another car question, looking for other opinions!
« on: November 11, 2018, 08:59:55 PM »
Hey everyone,

This is my first post on the forum as I have just been introduced to this community and what it's all about. I am looking to achieve financial independence, and I know becoming part of this community will be helpful! I was introduced to Mr. Money Mustache through Bigger Pockets. I love what this is all about.

On to my question...

I am 28 years old. I have NO debt, OTHER THAN my car payment. My largest financial mistake has been cars. I have spent a lot of money on them in the past, and have learned. Fortunately I have actually made money when selling my cars, however I have put a lot into aftermarket parts. I sold my "prized possession" american muscle car last year(which I purchased brand new in 2016), and replaced it with a more economical 2008 Subaru Legacy GT. The price of the car was $11,500. I put down some money and financed the car at around $9,800 (I don't remember the exact number) on a 48 month loan for 2.4% interest (my credit score is in the high 700's) through my credit union. I am currently 9 months into the loan and my remaining balance is $7,665. I pay $130 a month for insurance. I fill up the car approximately once a week for around $42 on average with premium fuel because the car has a turbo.

Here are my (perceived) options:
1) Keep the car and change absolutely nothing.
2) Pay the car off and keep it. Then continue simply paying for fuel, insurance, and maintenance.
3) Get rid of the car and buy a used hybrid car for around what I owe on my current car with cash to save on fuel, insurance, and eliminate the monthly expense. This option includes a risk of buying a car I do not know and may have random issues come up. A particular scary issue with hybrids is having to replace the hybrid battery for several thousand dollars, which would basically eliminate the savings on fuel.

I should also mention that I am currently getting ready to house hack. I have about $25k saved up to do so. I am looking to eliminate as many of my month to month expenses as possible. I do a pretty good job of living frugally as is, and have a decent savings rate. I earn a mid-level income but have excellent benefits and retirement options.

I'm really looking for some advice. There are no right/wrong answers, I just really want to get to know the thoughts and opinions of others that think similar to me. If you have any other ideas that my three options, please share!

Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 09:13:56 PM by samj »

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: Another car question, looking for other opinions!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 09:17:08 PM »
I really hope that was a spec.B model or an exceptionally low mileage Legacy GT, otherwise I think you vastly overpaid. Fortunately your interest rate is very good so there's no need to rush to pay it off unless you want to switch to a more efficient vehicle. We owned a 2005 Legacy GT and it definitely loved fuel.

Your insurance cost seems high, we were paying less than that on two cars, including our Legacy GT.

I wouldn't be too worried about battery replacement costs on hybrids. You're spending over $2k on fuel every year already and the Legacy GT isn't exactly known for its stout reliability. Without knowing more of your financial picture though it's hard to make a recommendation. Both #1 or #3 should be reasonable.

samj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 09:36:26 PM »
I really hope that was a spec.B model or an exceptionally low mileage Legacy GT, otherwise I think you vastly overpaid. Fortunately your interest rate is very good so there's no need to rush to pay it off unless you want to switch to a more efficient vehicle. We owned a 2005 Legacy GT and it definitely loved fuel.

Your insurance cost seems high, we were paying less than that on two cars, including our Legacy GT.

I wouldn't be too worried about battery replacement costs on hybrids. You're spending over $2k on fuel every year already and the Legacy GT isn't exactly known for its stout reliability. Without knowing more of your financial picture though it's hard to make a recommendation. Both #1 or #3 should be reasonable.

At the time it was towards the top of the blue book value for the car, it is not a Spec B, but did only have 70k miles on it when I got it. So it was lower mileage.

My insurance cost is a bit high, you are correct, I am single and in my twenties as a male so I think that has a lot to do with it. Maybe I should consider shopping that around a bit?

As far as my financial picture goes, like I said I have no debt other than the car debt. My credit is great. I don't have many current investments, so part of my plan would be to take some of the money from the payment I would be saving and invest that into index funds. The rest of my monthly savings I plan on adding to my stockpile for the house hack that I plan to do.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 07:11:32 AM »
Yeah, couldn't hurt to shop around on the insurance. I've never paid that much and I've owned sports cars since I was 18.

What percentage of your expenses is ~$1k/year (approximate fuel savings for switching to a hybrid)? Can you drive less to cut fuel costs? How much are you in love with the Legacy GT?

samj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 09:41:16 AM »
Yeah, couldn't hurt to shop around on the insurance. I've never paid that much and I've owned sports cars since I was 18.

What percentage of your expenses is ~$1k/year (approximate fuel savings for switching to a hybrid)? Can you drive less to cut fuel costs? How much are you in love with the Legacy GT?

Well my expenses right now are:

Rent- $600/month
Internet/Cable- $52/month (can't cut because I live with roommates)
Car Payment- $200/month
Insurance- $130/month
Cell Phone- $45/month
Gym- $105/month
Groceries/Supplements- $385/month

So looking at it from a monthly perspective, I would be saving roughly $83/month. My view of it, however, is that I could pay cash for the car hybrid and save on a car payment, have less expensive insurance/gas, and take the majority of that monthly savings to save/invest.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 10:05:22 AM »
So cutting the fuel usage in half would reduce your expenses by about 5%, that's pretty significant. You could also achieve a similar expenses reduction by cutting the gym membership.

Cutting the car payment will only help you invest more if the replacement vehicle you purchase with cash is significantly cheaper. Otherwise you'll just be tying up capital that you wanted to invest.

samj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 05:26:34 PM »
So cutting the fuel usage in half would reduce your expenses by about 5%, that's pretty significant. You could also achieve a similar expenses reduction by cutting the gym membership.

Cutting the car payment will only help you invest more if the replacement vehicle you purchase with cash is significantly cheaper. Otherwise you'll just be tying up capital that you wanted to invest.

Yeah that’s about right. I can’t really drive less, as I don’t drive much during the week other than to work. My gym is on the way home so I stop there. I do workout 5-6 times a week and have thought about going to a less expensive gym, but for the networking opportunities available plus the facilities, as well as how much I use the gym, I think I am getting about as good a deal as I can.

Thanks RWD for working through that with me. I appreciate your help.

I would appreciate if any one else wants to chime in as well!

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 09:03:53 AM »
My $.02:

1.  Gym membership is high.  You should be able to find a nice "premium" (i.e. not LA Fitness or the other cheap national ones that are dirty, crowded at peak times and poorly maintained) gym for about $60 per month.

2.  You're spending quite a bit on gas.  Yes, get a used hybrid, such as a prius.  There's no big hurry, take your time and research heavily.  Pay cash for all vehicles.   

samj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 09:44:22 AM »
My $.02:

1.  Gym membership is high.  You should be able to find a nice "premium" (i.e. not LA Fitness or the other cheap national ones that are dirty, crowded at peak times and poorly maintained) gym for about $60 per month.

2.  You're spending quite a bit on gas.  Yes, get a used hybrid, such as a prius.  There's no big hurry, take your time and research heavily.  Pay cash for all vehicles.   

Thanks frugalknowitall! I know that the gym membership is high, it’s actually a club. I’m sure I could find something cheaper, though I use it so much I suppose that I justify the cost based on my usage. I have been considering going with some less expensive, though. I’d have to check my area for something you are speaking aboutt, as I believe the other gyms in my area are the national chains.

As far as gas goes, I typically average around 19-22 mpg. I do use premium because the car has a turbo charged engine. I also fill up at Costco so I typically get the least expensive quality gasoline available. But I do wish I were paying much less. One thing I did not mention is that I am 6’8, so figment In a vehicle is important for me. I barely fit comfortably in my legacy, so I will need to shop hybrids and see what works for me if I decide to go that route.

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 04:42:57 AM »
My $.02:

Thanks frugalknowitall! I know that the gym membership is high, it’s actually a club. I’m sure I could find something cheaper, though I use it so much I suppose that I justify the cost based on my usage. I have been considering going with some less expensive, though. I’d have to check my area for something you are speaking aboutt, as I believe the other gyms in my area are the national chains.

As far as gas goes, I typically average around 19-22 mpg. I do use premium because the car has a turbo charged engine. I also fill up at Costco so I typically get the least expensive quality gasoline available. But I do wish I were paying much less. One thing I did not mention is that I am 6’8, so figment In a vehicle is important for me. I barely fit comfortably in my legacy, so I will need to shop hybrids and see what works for me if I decide to go that route.

Your height certainly makes things tricky.

I personally drive a 2000 Insight. I purchased in in 2014 with $3000 cash at 154,000 miles. In the last 90,000 miles it has needed a set of tires ($160 + $60 mount), a 12v battery (~$100), a clutch master cylinder (~$75) and a rear wheel bearing ($35). Insurance is dirt cheap - around $25 per month for a single male in his late 20's. The lifetime fuel economy of this car as of 242,000 miles is just under 70mpg, which works out to a savings (compared with 20mpg) of approximately $11,000 in the 4 years I've had it.

I'm not suggesting this car specifically, but there are definitely much more economical options out there.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 07:36:06 AM »
You may find a Ford C-Max to be very roomy. In the Energi setup it’s a plug-in Hybrid and on short trips uses no gas at all if you can plug it in.

samj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 09:25:01 AM »

Your height certainly makes things tricky.

I personally drive a 2000 Insight. I purchased in in 2014 with $3000 cash at 154,000 miles. In the last 90,000 miles it has needed a set of tires ($160 + $60 mount), a 12v battery (~$100), a clutch master cylinder (~$75) and a rear wheel bearing ($35). Insurance is dirt cheap - around $25 per month for a single male in his late 20's. The lifetime fuel economy of this car as of 242,000 miles is just under 70mpg, which works out to a savings (compared with 20mpg) of approximately $11,000 in the 4 years I've had it.

I'm not suggesting this car specifically, but there are definitely much more economical options out there.
[/quote]

Wow those are major savings for sure. I know there are definitely much cheaper options out there than what I’m currently driving.

Is your insurance full coverage?

My height has always made things difficult so it’s nothing I can’t work around, as I’m used to it. Immy father is a bit taller than I am so I grew up watching him find ways around it as well. I think I may go sit in a few different hybrids this weekend to see what is comfortable for me.

You may find a Ford C-Max to be very roomy. In the Energi setup it’s a plug-in Hybrid and on short trips uses no gas at all if you can plug it in.

I was looking into both that and the fusion, although I would like to find something a bit less pricey and pay cash. They do both seem like good options, I may go sit in them this weekend to test the legroom.

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 11:43:29 AM »
I don't do full coverage. By my logic, if the other driver is at fault, their insurance covers it. If I'm at fault, if it doesn't total the car I'll either live with it or fix it myself - parts are incredibly cheap on many old cars. If it's totalled, I'll part it out for half of what it's worth and sell the rest to a scrap yard, then go out and buy a similar car in cash within the next couple of days. In the fuel savings alone it buys itself almost every year.

samj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 01:23:24 PM »
I don't do full coverage. By my logic, if the other driver is at fault, their insurance covers it. If I'm at fault, if it doesn't total the car I'll either live with it or fix it myself - parts are incredibly cheap on many old cars. If it's totalled, I'll part it out for half of what it's worth and sell the rest to a scrap yard, then go out and buy a similar car in cash within the next couple of days. In the fuel savings alone it buys itself almost every year.

Yeah that’s fair. Does your coverage cover you if your at fault for medical expenses and such? That’s my main concern, not so much the complete coverage of the car.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 02:01:13 PM »

I don't have a lot of insurance experience, but my wife was rear-ended on Saturday.  While it's true that the other driver's insurance SHOULD pay, it remains to be seen whether or not they will.  The named insured wasn't driving and hasn't yet accepted liability.  Our insurance has offered to pay a fair price for the car and chase down the money (we're holding out for the offer from the other insurance company, though).  Regardless, my experience (confirmed by talking to some other folks) is that many people end up filing with their own insurance even when the other driver is at fault (and let the insurance company deal with the other driver's insurance company) because insurance companies often delay in these situations.

My mom was in a pretty bad accident a couple of years ago and my dad hired a lawyer because they didn't have comprehensive, so his insurance wouldn't help and the other person's insurance wasn't playing nice.  After that, we got comprehensive (it isn't very much money) and I'm glad we did.  In our state (Florida) there are tons of un/under-insured drivers around, too.  I also know several folks who have been in hit and runs.

samj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 02:48:34 PM »

[/quote]

I don't have a lot of insurance experience, but my wife was rear-ended on Saturday.  While it's true that the other driver's insurance SHOULD pay, it remains to be seen whether or not they will.  The named insured wasn't driving and hasn't yet accepted liability.  Our insurance has offered to pay a fair price for the car and chase down the money (we're holding out for the offer from the other insurance company, though).  Regardless, my experience (confirmed by talking to some other folks) is that many people end up filing with their own insurance even when the other driver is at fault (and let the insurance company deal with the other driver's insurance company) because insurance companies often delay in these situations.

My mom was in a pretty bad accident a couple of years ago and my dad hired a lawyer because they didn't have comprehensive, so his insurance wouldn't help and the other person's insurance wasn't playing nice.  After that, we got comprehensive (it isn't very much money) and I'm glad we did.  In our state (Florida) there are tons of un/under-insured drivers around, too.  I also know several folks who have been in hit and runs.
[/quote]

And that’s my main logic behind the Insurabce and being fully covered. I do t want to be in a situation like that. It’s not so much the damage on a car I am buying inexpensively and driving into the ground. Thanks for your two cents.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 03:05:21 PM »
There is a separate line on your insurance for un/under-insured motorists

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 07:13:42 PM »
My insurance doesn't cover my car but it would cover any medical bills (to a certain point):

Vermont's minimum requirements for car insurance are:

Bodily Injury Liability Coverage: $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident
Property Damage Liability Coverage: $10,000
Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury Coverage: $50,000 per person and $100,000 per accident
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Coverage: $10,000 with a $150 deductible (In some cases the deductible does not apply)

samj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2018, 09:25:15 AM »
I would basically want coverage to cover myself and the medical bills of other drivers and their cars. My car I’m not so worried about. That’s what I was saying.

I’m planning to go sit in some cars this weekend. I’ll update the thread about what I can comfortably fit in. Thanks again to everyone for the advice and input!

Dr.Jeckyl

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2018, 12:07:23 PM »
I see these questions all the time that are basically asking should I give up my enthusiast vehicle for an appliance. My question back to you is are you sure you want to drive something that does not give you the "feels". I am a car enthusiast but I am also very practical person and I drive an appliance. I drive it everyday and save money because that's what I'm doing. But everyday I look at cars. It drives me crazy not having a car that I care about. I'm willing to spend a little extra on fuel to drive what I want because it's what I want to spend money on. So is the amount of money you spend equal or less than the amount of enjoyment it brings. To think of it another way when I go on vacation I don't spring for a luxury hotel because a Holiday Inn Express is clean, comfortable and brings me as much happiness as that luxury hotel. I'm not saying that you should go buy a new Audi R8 but if we are talking only small differences in cost then go for what you want.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2018, 12:48:59 PM »
I am a car enthusiast but I am also very practical person and I drive an appliance. I drive it everyday and save money because that's what I'm doing. But everyday I look at cars. It drives me crazy not having a car that I care about. I'm willing to spend a little extra on fuel to drive what I want because it's what I want to spend money on.

1997-1998 BMW Z3 Roadster. 20/29 mpg. Classic styling. $4k.
2000-2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder. 23/30 mpg. Cheapest mid-engine, not very practical. $5k.
2006-2013 Mazda Miata. 22/28 mpg. Miata Is Always The Answer. $7k.
2013 Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S. 22/30 mpg. Surprisingly practical. $11k.
2009 Porsche Cayman/Boxster. 19/27 mpg. The perfect car. $20k.
2007 Lotus Elise. 21/27 mpg. Will never depreciate. $30k.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2018, 01:02:53 PM »
I am sorry but I have to diverge from your initial question because of the route this thread has taken.

I have to assume this LGT is an automatic because that gas mileage is absolutely horrible for a manual.  This based on the fact that I owned an 08 LGT from new in a manual transmission and would get 28 mpg on summer gas and 27 mpg on winter gas.  My wife had an 08 outback and it got the horrible 21/22 that you're seeing.

The LGT is tuned to allow 87 octane, although they never tell you that.  Where it won't work is if you're in S# and coming down the main straight at Lime Rock.  It'll pull timing and you'll feel it.  (I actually did this when I had too much 87 on a track day before filling with 93).  You will get a couple mpg better with 87 as well.  I traveled a lot for business, so cruise control on the highway in 5th in 3 hour stints.

The absolute biggest thing to do is be sure the turbo oil feed banjo bolt screen has been removed.  This causes oil starvation and kills the bearings in the turbo.  Well known on LGT.org. 

Personally, I'd keep the LGT.  I sold mine with 91k miles and have regretted it ever since.  Stupid move.

Now.....replacing it with an 07 Elise (see the last poster) is an excellent.  I owned one of them for 4 years.  Bought it for $30k and sold 4 years later for $32k.  I did replace the radiator pre-emptively with a pro-alloy all aluminum for $500, replaced the junk toyota plastic thermostat with an all metal one, put in a radium clam kit to make the rear clam removal a 30 minute job instead of 3 hours and replaced the anemic horn with 2 Hellas right in the mouth to make people's ears bleed.

If your LGT is a brown manual with tan interior......it could be my old one.  And if that Elise has heated seats and a switched lighter with ignition in Storm Titanium, it could be my old one too.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2018, 01:45:46 PM »
I am sorry but I have to diverge from your initial question because of the route this thread has taken.

I have to assume this LGT is an automatic because that gas mileage is absolutely horrible for a manual.  This based on the fact that I owned an 08 LGT from new in a manual transmission and would get 28 mpg on summer gas and 27 mpg on winter gas.  My wife had an 08 outback and it got the horrible 21/22 that you're seeing.

Our manual transmission 2005 Legacy GT wagon got around 20 mpg on average (just grabbed a small sample of old receipts to check). Looking at fueleconomy.gov it looks like the 2008 is about 2 mpg better than ours, but that is still only 19/24 mpg. 27-28 mpg on average would be quite impressive. I can believe it for purely highway driving though.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2018, 03:13:25 PM »
When I had the car, I talked with other owners of older LGTs a lot.  Seems that SI drive running in I mode helped a lot.  My driving when combined.....heading east towards Boston so lots of back roads averaged 27.  I accurately documented every fill up (I'm another one of those engineers) and attributed my wife's Outback N/A's lower readings to both the automatic and her poor use of the gas pedal.  She's a piano player and tends to treat the gas pedal like she would a piano pedal......so either off or to the floor.

samj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2018, 12:02:14 AM »
Wow I missed a lot since I’ve last checked the thread. The car is an automatic. I have knee problems and at 6’8 I barely fit in the car. I drive it constantly in Intelligent mode and average what I’m averaging.

I am an enthusiast, but I have up my enthusiast life style when I sold my muscle car. The legacy was a compromise for me to have something relatively inexpensive that was quick and somewhat stylish. At this point though, I’m ready to save more money. With my current poor mpg, and insurance payments, I see an opportunity to save money here.

I was able to sit in my co workers Prius, and I can say that the interior style of a 2007 Prius did not physically fit me. My knee was constantly hitting the shifter, as well as some kind of storage space that my knee constantly pushes and a small door pops open. I don’t need a ton of space, but I can’t really see myself making that work. I’m not sure if any other Prius have more legroom or not, but I would need more than what’s available in the 2007 model.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2018, 02:59:20 AM »
Would you fit in a Honda Fit? (sorry for the pun) :)

Seems they have a higher roof than many other hatchbacks so it could work if the seat goes far enough back.

Any way to reduce the number of miles driven? Bike or bus to work?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 03:03:41 AM by alsoknownasDean »

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2018, 06:30:45 AM »
Front leg room comparison. Note, measuring metrics may vary by manufacturer. This is not an exhaustive list.

VehicleFront leg roomFuel economy
2008 Subaru Legacy GT44.1 inches18/24 mpg
2009 Honda Fit41.3 inches28/35 mpg
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid41.7 inches33/34 mpg
2007 Toyota Prius41.9 inches48/45 mpg
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid42.1 inches40/39 mpg
2007 Honda Civic Hybrid42.2 inches40/45 mpg
2010 Honda Insight42.3 inches40/43 mpg
2010 Toyota Prius42.5 inches51/48 mpg
2010 Lexus HS 250h42.6 inches35/34 mpg
2007 Honda Accord Hybrid42.6 inches24/32 mpg
2011 Honda CR-Z42.7 inches34/38 mpg
2012 Infiniti M35h44.4 inches27/31 mpg
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid/Kia Optima Hybrid45.5 inches34/39 mpg

The Hyundai Sonata Hybrid / Kia Optima Hybrid might be worth taking a look at.

samj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2018, 10:32:47 AM »
Would you fit in a Honda Fit? (sorry for the pun) :)

Seems they have a higher roof than many other hatchbacks so it could work if the seat goes far enough back.

Any way to reduce the number of miles driven? Bike or bus to work?

I've honestly never had any luck fitting in any honda car. I've sat in the mini vans and the SUV and been okay, but I once drove my cousin's civic hybrid (which are very inexpensive and plentifully available) and I almost got in a couple of accidents because of how difficult it was for me to drive due to fitment. It was a nightmare ha. I could try a fit, but I suspect it would be similar to an accord and civic.

My commute to work right now is about five miles one way, and my usual routine is to head to the gym after work, which is on the road I take to get home. My daily commute is pretty efficient and not much of an issue, but the other driving I do, as well as insurance and car payment are what get me. As I stated earlier, my interest rate on my Legacy is only around 2.4%, but I know I could be driving something more efficient with fuel economy and with less expensive insurance.

I probably could bike to work, but I don't know how much more efficient it would be.

samj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2018, 10:37:15 AM »
Front leg room comparison. Note, measuring metrics may vary by manufacturer. This is not an exhaustive list.

The Hyundai Sonata Hybrid / Kia Optima Hybrid might be worth taking a look at.

That's an awesome list, thank you or that. I have basically been trying to find a list like that!

I did read somewhere that the Sonata has really good legroom. I didn't know that about the optima. I will give both of those a look. I also know that the Nissan Altima has good legroom. When I was in college playing basketball, I had a coach that was 6'10 and he drove an Altima and said it was pretty spacious for him. I will be looking into these this weekend. Even if it means finding some that aren't a hybrid just to sit in them and see if they are comfortable.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2018, 12:53:39 PM »
That's an awesome list, thank you or that. I have basically been trying to find a list like that!

I did read somewhere that the Sonata has really good legroom. I didn't know that about the optima. I will give both of those a look. I also know that the Nissan Altima has good legroom. When I was in college playing basketball, I had a coach that was 6'10 and he drove an Altima and said it was pretty spacious for him. I will be looking into these this weekend. Even if it means finding some that aren't a hybrid just to sit in them and see if they are comfortable.

No problem. I put it together by hand using fueleconomy.gov and MSN Autos.

I have a coworker that is pretty tall, 6'4"+, I think, and he drives an Altima. I added the Altima Hybrid to the list:

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid44.1 inches35/33 mpg

samj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2018, 04:26:06 PM »
Well today I went and sat in a few different vehicles. I tried a 2012 sonata hybrid, and fit pretty well in it. Much better fit than the Prius. I also sat in an Altima, athlough a 2017 but I believe the older model would fit well if I can find one. The other car was a 2015 Camry, and although It was more snug than the two others, it was doable and much more comfortable than the Prius. I guess that gives me a few options.

I did not try an optima, but Hyundai and Kia are nearly one in the same and I don’t believe I would have any issues in an optima either. My issue now is finding one for the right price, but I believe that will happen in due time.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2018, 05:13:17 AM »
Just wondering, I got the impression that you were looking at selling the LGT, paying the loan off and buying a car with what's left? Or are you keeping the loan or paying it off with savings and buying a car with the proceeds of the sale?

kms

• Bristles
  • Minion Money Hippie
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2018, 10:18:04 AM »
Insurance is dirt cheap - around $25 per month for a single male in his late 20's.
O_O $25 a month for insurance? What state do you live in and how is that possible?

I pay $155 per month for two cars and two named drivers in their high 30s with no claims or records, although my limits are way above the minimum required by law because, well, Texas. I have comprehensive and collision on the newer car (2017 Soul) and only comprehensive on the older (2006 Sedona) plus underinsured motorist on both because, again, Texas. The lowest I could possibly go is around $40 per vehicle per month meeting the bare minimum legal liability requirements of $30,000 per injured person, $60,000 per incident, and $25,000 property damage. In case of an accident that would barely cover the basics. If somebody actually got hurt I'd be in a lot of financial trouble and most likely be sued for tens of thousands of dollars.

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2018, 09:48:29 PM »
Insurance is dirt cheap - around $25 per month for a single male in his late 20's.
O_O $25 a month for insurance? What state do you live in and how is that possible?

I pay $155 per month for two cars and two named drivers in their high 30s with no claims or records, although my limits are way above the minimum required by law because, well, Texas. I have comprehensive and collision on the newer car (2017 Soul) and only comprehensive on the older (2006 Sedona) plus underinsured motorist on both because, again, Texas. The lowest I could possibly go is around $40 per vehicle per month meeting the bare minimum legal liability requirements of $30,000 per injured person, $60,000 per incident, and $25,000 property damage. In case of an accident that would barely cover the basics. If somebody actually got hurt I'd be in a lot of financial trouble and most likely be sued for tens of thousands of dollars.

I live in Vermont. Clean record, 18 year old car with 250k miles, has all of the typical safety features which were available 18 years ago. My girlfriend's insurance is even cheaper. A few years back when I lived in Florida, my insurance (for a single early/mid 20's male) was more like $60 per month. I'm guessing age has more to do with my lower payment now.

I'm still under student debt (negative net worth) and see the trade-off of diverting more funds to getting out from under that as being the better one. I don't have anything anyone can take.

Dr.Jeckyl

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2018, 11:19:23 AM »
I am a car enthusiast but I am also very practical person and I drive an appliance. I drive it everyday and save money because that's what I'm doing. But everyday I look at cars. It drives me crazy not having a car that I care about. I'm willing to spend a little extra on fuel to drive what I want because it's what I want to spend money on.

1997-1998 BMW Z3 Roadster. 20/29 mpg. Classic styling. $4k.
2000-2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder. 23/30 mpg. Cheapest mid-engine, not very practical. $5k.
2006-2013 Mazda Miata. 22/28 mpg. Miata Is Always The Answer. $7k.
2013 Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S. 22/30 mpg. Surprisingly practical. $11k.
2009 Porsche Cayman/Boxster. 19/27 mpg. The perfect car. $20k.
2007 Lotus Elise. 21/27 mpg. Will never depreciate. $30k.

Let's see. I am currently considering several of these vehicles but no back seat or tiny back seat, darn BRZ/FRS/86. Also, Ford Mustang, Focus ST, VW GTI, MazdaSpeed 3, G35 or G37... There are probably a few more I missed but must have a manual. Totally agree Miata Is Always The Answer!! I even checked laws and safety suggestions to see rules regarding my 7yo in the front seat. The most I ever have in my car is two people. If the three of us go anywhere we take the wife's car.

samj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2018, 09:11:41 PM »
Just wondering, I got the impression that you were looking at selling the LGT, paying the loan off and buying a car with what's left? Or are you keeping the loan or paying it off with savings and buying a car with the proceeds of the sale?

My plan would be to buy a car with my savings. At that point I would sell the LGT and pay the loan off. Anything above the Lon amount that I receive from the sale would be put back into my savings.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!