Author Topic: Another birthday thread  (Read 3671 times)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Another birthday thread
« on: February 18, 2013, 06:51:57 PM »
So it's my birthday today. And everyone is being their usual unmustachian selves.

Young friend buys cupcakes for me and I felt awful accepting it. I've cut down the junk foods but how could I say no? Sweet thought but save your money darling, you still live at home.

Another collegue asks if I did anything...no?....lets book lunch for tomorrow...*sigh* I'll be down $30 easy on that one.

Another asks if I want to go out for drinks on Friday...what do I say? I've said no too many times before. I hate dropping cash on these sort of things.

Having said that I'm sick of living like a hermit. I'd like to spend time with these people but not in the way that they want. What's a mustachian to do?

James

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Another birthday thread
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 07:05:37 PM »
So it's my birthday today. And everyone is being their usual unmustachian selves.

Young friend buys cupcakes for me and I felt awful accepting it. I've cut down the junk foods but how could I say no? Sweet thought but save your money darling, you still live at home.

Another collegue asks if I did anything...no?....lets book lunch for tomorrow...*sigh* I'll be down $30 easy on that one.

Another asks if I want to go out for drinks on Friday...what do I say? I've said no too many times before. I hate dropping cash on these sort of things.

Having said that I'm sick of living like a hermit. I'd like to spend time with these people but not in the way that they want. What's a mustachian to do?

Accept the cupcakes cheerfully, nothing you can do.  Eat one if you have to, give the rest away. 

Lunch for $30?  It's your birthday, you choose the location and make sure it's not $30.

Say "come on over to my house Friday for drinks", or "I can come over to your house Friday for Drinks", or bring a flask and only purchase one drink.

Don't live life like a hermit, find a way to fulfill the social wants without emptying the wallet.  :)

I should add that I realize it's not that easy, I struggle with the same battles, but there are alternatives with some effort and thought.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:08:38 PM by James »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 07:19:33 PM »
Yes already done...one little cupcake for me, 5 for everyone else.

But I can tell you've obviously never booked a lunch in the Sydney CBD. You could feed a small African town with the amount you have to spend for a meal.

I don't want to sound complainypants, but I'm really having trouble keeping my wallet closed without coming across as a miserable scrooge. Just seems like the more mustachian I become, the more the world fights back against it. It really is hard to keep on track!!

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 07:57:13 PM »
To the young friend: "You are so sweet. Sweeter than these cupcakes, which are going to go right to my gut. Next year, just give me a head of cauliflower."

To colleague #1: "I don't really like any of the restaurants around us, but it would be a treat to have some downtime with you. Let's take a long walk during lunch instead."

To colleague #2: "I'm too old and cranky for the bar scene. Why don't you come over? Since it's my birthday, you bring the six-pack."

Remember that for many, many people, spending money is convenient shorthand for showing you care. But if you suggest alternatives--even (or especially) in a slightly joking manner--they'll probably be more than happy to go with that instead.

savingtofreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 09:27:22 PM »
Happy Birthday.

I feel you - I need more mustachian friends - would make life easier.   Can you invite them over to lunch at your place, or a picnic in the park or coffee out somewhere. 

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 01:18:43 AM »
Wise words mustachecat, One of those phrases has worked already, although I find it difficult to express myself as eloquently as that.

Geography is a problem. Many of my workmates live on the North Shore or the Eastern Suburbs 30-50kms away - paying off unmustachian mortgages in unmustachian houses or paying unmustachian rental.

There's one guy paying $600 rental a week for a 2 bed unit. I mean geez $31,200 a year just for rent? He earns more than me but I reckon I have more when all is said and done.

What made me most happy was just people coming up and saying happy birthday. It means something. Rather than "Oh its your birthday...excuse to go out for a fancy lunch"