Author Topic: Another "Lady-Stache" question- Hair removal  (Read 11748 times)

pipercat

• Bristles
Another "Lady-Stache" question- Hair removal
« on: April 25, 2014, 04:38:47 PM »
Hi all!  I started to peruse the other Lady-Stache thread for this topic, but that thread is 7 pages long.  Even doing a search would have gotten on my nerves, so I apologize in advance if this question is already addressed elsewhere.

Now that swimsuit season is upon us (or getting closer), do any of you have tried and true methods for removing hair at the bikini line?  I usually just shave, but I can't seem to avoid having the area look terrible with little bumps within about a day.  Tweezing gives me ingrown hairs, and depilatories are just more expensive versions of shaving.  Am I missing some secret that everyone else knows?

Maybe this goes in the Off-Topic forum actually.  Mods, feel free to move it wherever!

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
Re: Another "Lady-Stache" question- Hair removal
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 04:51:32 PM »
hair removal isn't a lady only issue!

There's one legit home laser hair removal system, called Tria.  Got one on craigslist for about 100 less than new.  Once we're done with it, I plan to try to resell it on CL, probably for less than I paid, but the difference should be way less than a lifetime of razor blades or the cost of professional laser

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 05:00:49 PM »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000KKNQBK

Bakari, you didn't write some of those reviews did you?

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 05:17:46 PM »
See if you can find a place in your area that specializes in hair removal. In my area there is a place that only does waxing and they need "models" (i.e., guinea pigs) to allow their new serologists to practice the techniques. In exchange for allowing them to practice, they give you a 50% discount. I take full advantage of this option.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 05:27:38 PM »
There's sugaring, but someone with experience will have to discuss the pros and cons of sugaring in that area.

http://m.wikihow.com/Make-and-Use-Body-Sugaring-Paste

Frugalicious

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 05:31:24 PM »
I found a Groupon for laser hair removal.  You can typically get bikini for $99, but more extensive treatment will be a little more.  It will pay for itself over time in savings from razors, shaving cream, or other hair removal tactics.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 06:00:34 PM »
I bought an organic sugar mix on eBay (homemade) and use that. It was like $15. Here's a similar listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SILK-Organic-Eco-Friendly-Sugar-Wax-Paste-Hair-Removal-No-Strips-needed-8oz-/121326988161?pt=US_Shaving_Hair_Removal&hash=item1c3fa6eb81

Of course there may be risks from buying homemade products on eBay (which I never really though of until now haha), but I've never had an issue.

Also, you can continue shaving if it's just ingrown hairs/razor rash that's the issue. I use a homemade version of TendSkin. This is the recipe: 1: 18 tablets uncoated aspirin, crushed 5 oz. rubbing alcohol combine. solution 2: 8 tablets uncoated aspirin, crushed 2.5 oz. witch hazel combine. combine the two solutions. the aspirin will settle a bit, so shake it before use.

JPinDC

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 06:07:31 PM »
I use microwavable hard wax. It's not especially cheap, but since I only use it for bikini line (not the whole bikini area), it lasts a looooong time. http://www.amazon.com/Brazilian-Bikini-Microwave-Formula-Ounce/dp/B00077C18K/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1398470770&sr=8-11&keywords=hard+wax

Also, if you're not skeeved out by the idea, you can reuse the wax, since you don't use strips or anything else to remove it. I keep a plastic baggie for the once-used wax, and then when the new wax is empty, dump that back in and start over. After two times it gets much less usable though.

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 06:10:52 PM »
I'll take the face punches.   I go to a pro.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 06:28:21 PM »
I use homemade sugar wax, applied with the handle of a plastic spoon, ripped off with flannel rags. For more details and a link to the recipe, here's my blog post: http://frugalparagon.com/2014/01/28/if-i-can-you-can-home-eyebrow-waxing/ (Mostly about eyebrows, but yes, I use it for the swimsuit area as well.)

It's messy, but cleans up easily with soap and water. Leads to red bumps for the first 24 hours or so, then after that it looks MUCH better than shaving. The reason I chose this method was the low start-up cost versus using real wax. I never went to a professional or used storebought wax, so I can't compare, but I've been satisfied with the results.

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 07:18:07 PM »
I solved this problem by buying boardshorts.  Admittedly not for if you want to be in swim competitions but for general swimming its effective and easy!

greatreader

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 07:36:28 PM »
I just wear bathing suits with a very conservative (read: low) cut around the legs. Also, I stay in the water most of the time, so it's not like people can see my bikini line anyhow. And last of all, I'm accompanied by three adorable kids. Nobody's looking at me anyway :)

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 10:01:11 PM »
I use an epilator. I bought it about six years ago for $150 or so, and it's still good as new! It can be a bit painful, but not any more so than waxing.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 11:28:01 PM »
Now that swimsuit season is upon us (or getting closer), do any of you have tried and true methods for removing hair at the bikini line?  I usually just shave, but I can't seem to avoid having the area look terrible with little bumps within about a day.
I just shave and don't give a f*ck if my skin doesn't look perfect.

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 06:29:04 AM »
I found a Groupon for laser hair removal.  You can typically get bikini for $99, but more extensive treatment will be a little more.  It will pay for itself over time in savings from razors, shaving cream, or other hair removal tactics.

I've thought about laser, but I have friends who still have hair growth, even after the laser.  I don't want to spend the money if it grows back!

I use an epilator. I bought it about six years ago for $150 or so, and it's still good as new! It can be a bit painful, but not any more so than waxing.

Do you get ingrown hairs with it?  How would it be different than tweezing?

I've tried at home waxing, but maybe I didn't do it right.  It really didn't get many of the hairs.  Maybe I'll try the sugaring.

cotterpin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 11:39:05 AM »
Depending on the amount of hair, color and texture of hair and how important it is to you to be rid of it, you actually have a couple of options for permanent removal. 

Laser can be only legally claim to provide permanent reduction.  Electrolysis, if treated by a competent practitioner, can be permanent.  If you have the time to educate yourself on the types of lasers used, check out the  http://www.hairtell.com/forum/ubbthreads.php . There are folks on there who can give you some good advice if you don't mind wading through the posts.

Things that pop into my head that I would consider are: Is your hair coarse and dark enough to get a good reduction with laser? If so, what is your skin type? That would be a consideration for the type of laser used.  (Also, having laser done before you do any tanning is preferable.)  Not paying for a series of treatments, not being bullied into coming in for follow up treatments until you have enough hair to warrant the expense. (Hair grows in cycles, you will not get them all in one treatment. Dormant follicles will need to be treated when they become active.)  You are totally in the drivers seat with laser if you educate yourself before hand.  The bikini area is not an area that is known to have laser induced regrowth, unlike a woman's face which is a consideration.  If you have only a little bit of hair to remove, in an area with a tendency to have ingrown hairs, you could go straight to electrolysis, which can remove all hair regardless of texture or color.  Some people also use it to catch the random hairs that pop up after laser treatment.   

The key to success with electrolysis is finding a great practitioner!! Preferably one who only does electrolysis. Some businesses advertise electrolysis but then try to talk you into laser once you get to your appointment.  They are out there and you can usually go for a consultation and sample treatment, many times at no charge. Shop around.  Many laser places are chains, but they can sometimes negotiate a reduced rate. Most electrologists are self employed and aren't willing to haggle much, but they ARE business people and if you have something of value, such as marketing or internet skills they need, they can be very open to bartering. :)

Nancy

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 11:51:06 AM »
I solved this problem by buying boardshorts.  Admittedly not for if you want to be in swim competitions but for general swimming its effective and easy!

+1

ReverendRN

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2014, 01:28:25 PM »

+1

Or a long swim skirt.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2014, 03:22:44 PM »
I did laser on bikini, arm pits and mustache 12+ years ago.  I had dark hair and medium skin tone.  4 treatments each.  Bikini and pits are hair free.  Mustache much less successful.  The coarse hair provides a bigger target and I think that's why those areas were more successful.  Mustache is improved (fewer hairs and seemingly finer) but still needs work.

Frequent Groupons in my area for laser treatments.  Worth it IMHO if you can afford it.  Always stubble free arm pits are great!

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2014, 07:48:46 PM »
Not paying for a series of treatments, not being bullied into coming in for follow up treatments until you have enough hair to warrant the expense. (Hair grows in cycles, you will not get them all in one treatment. Dormant follicles will need to be treated when they become active.)  You are totally in the drivers seat with laser if you educate yourself before hand.  The bikini area is not an area that is known to have laser induced regrowth, unlike a woman's face which is a consideration. 

Thank you so much for your entire post, but I find this part to be tremendously helpful.  Maybe the reason my friends have experienced regrowth is that they didn't time the follow-up appointments very well.  I'm really going to look into this.

Another laser question, do you have to allow the hair to grow in a certain length before having the treatment?  I'm guessing not, but I really have no idea.

cotterpin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2014, 10:02:25 PM »
Not paying for a series of treatments, not being bullied into coming in for follow up treatments until you have enough hair to warrant the expense. (Hair grows in cycles, you will not get them all in one treatment. Dormant follicles will need to be treated when they become active.)  You are totally in the drivers seat with laser if you educate yourself before hand.  The bikini area is not an area that is known to have laser induced regrowth, unlike a woman's face which is a consideration. 

Thank you so much for your entire post, but I find this part to be tremendously helpful.  Maybe the reason my friends have experienced regrowth is that they didn't time the follow-up appointments very well.  I'm really going to look into this.

Another laser question, do you have to allow the hair to grow in a certain length before having the treatment?  I'm guessing not, but I really have no idea.

You're welcome!! Before treatment, they will probably ask you to shave the area. Very basically, you want the laser energy to focus on the roots of the hairs. Hair above the skin would dissipate the energy making it less effective.  One of the things you should ask about when you go in for a consultation is how will they know how far down the leg from the bikini line needs treatment. Some people have considerably more hair trailing down the leg. You will need to make note of that if it is an issue with you and let them know.

Your friends may have not gone for enough clearances (catching all the growth cycles), the type of laser used was not appropriate or the settings were not high enough to permanently disable the follicles.  Your body WANTS to grow hair and is pretty good at overcoming setbacks like us ripping it out by the roots, zapping it and using medication to try and rid ourselves of it.  :)

With electrolysis, you would need hair just long enough for electrologist to grab the hair to remove it after treating the follicle.

Remember the best way to approach this is to not get into a hurry, ask lots of questions, and be as informed as you can possibly be.  This time of year is always when people get in a hurry to have it done and enjoy the warm weather, but if you want the most bang for your buck you need to do some research. One of the posters on Hairtell, LAgirl, is very knowledgeable about different types of machines and settings and has provided a lot of information from a clients point of view.  I would pay close attention to anything she has to say. 

Good Luck!!

alexgodden

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2014, 10:12:32 PM »
Epilating is way faster and less painful and fiddly than tweezing, and you can get a decent one for about $40 which will last you for life. With a bit of practice you can tidy up your underarms and bikini area in less than 10 minutes, and if you do it every week then less grows back and it gets easier. Another benefit is no stubble!

pirate_wench

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2014, 10:33:18 PM »
cute board shorts....hair removal in that area sucks, especially if you aren't blonde...

Kaminoge

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 06:37:01 AM »
Personally I'm a fan of at home waxing. A tub of wax costs me around $15 and it lasts me around 3/4 months of waxing (bikini line and underarms only). I wax about every 2 weeks but that is partially driven by the fact that I swim year round.

I love the idea of laser but when I looked into it they told me that my skin/hair combo was not at all ideal and so it probably wouldn't be very successful.

rocklebock

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 04:26:59 PM »
I used to get ingrown hairs pretty badly, but then someone recommended using an exfoliant scrub (the kind marketed as facial cleansers) in between shaving. Works like a charm for me. St. Ives Apricot Scrub is inexpensive, but a lot of grocery store chains stock a generic version that only costs about $2.50 a tube.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 05:33:54 PM »
I have black body hair and pale skin.  I have had countless laser treatments on legs, arms, bikini, and facial areas.  (I lived for a few yrs where this was a cheap experiment.)  Various types of lasers were used.  I only had lasting results on my legs.  My leg hair is now finer and sparser. 

I use a bikini-area-specific Nair/Veet stuff in the summer, it really is better than the creams of my youth.  They've made some advancements.  Really.

ScienceSexSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 06:12:57 PM »
I have a $75 electric razor/epilator. It has two heads, so you can choose which function you want. I find that the electric razor is much easier on my skin than blades. I would never, ever, ever epilate pubes though - they're so coarse and the area is so sensitive!

And blonde hair comes with it's own issues - that fine inviso-hair is damn near impossible to see in the shower, and you're guaranteed to see some awkward patches when you get out in the sun!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!