Author Topic: Anonymity & Mustachianism  (Read 27220 times)

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Re: Anonymity & Mustachianism
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2014, 07:33:53 PM »
I protect myself by not becoming famous (again). Last time I was famous it took a couple of years before my personal info started fading from google search. Seriously though, if you're not famous, the vast majority of people don't want your personal info.

tracylayton

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2014, 07:38:16 PM »
Holy cow! I thought everyone else was using their real name, just like me.

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2014, 07:54:04 PM »
I acquired a troll on another forum. It was beyond annoying, and pretty intrusive: he tried to get me to call him with a weird trick, followed me from thread to thread, IM'd me. And he was insidious, a master mind-fucker, and kept changing handles and fucking with a lot of people: admin there finally warned him they'd prosecute.

I sorta quit going there.

So now I use fairly anon handles. Although there are a TON of people on this website I'd hang with. And I'd go to meetups because that's in person.

It's the "here are intimate details on my finances" that I'd be leery about.

Your mileage may vary.

bye-bye Ms. FancyPants

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2014, 08:01:10 PM »
There is quite a few details about our financial life scattered throughout this forum. I prefer some sort of privacy. .. But then, if there was a local meetup, I'd totally want to go. It would be nice to meet like minded people face-to-face. It gets old being the only one I know who prefers this lifestyle.   

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2014, 08:09:41 PM »
Nothing to do with frugality in general, or this forum in particular.  I just prefer anonymity.  I would never, EVER, participate in anything on-line that required me to use a "real" name, or anything that could easily link back to the physical world.  I won't use Facebook, for instance, for just that reason - plus just a basic inability to comprehend why anyone would want to put their personal life on display.

I have a Facebook account under a pseudonym. So sue me, Mark Zuckerberg. I have a hand full of Facebook "friends" who know who I am. My Facebook account exists mostly to stalk others. :)

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2014, 08:48:40 PM »
I have no problem if people know who I am, that's why I use my real name, Fart, on MMM.

My parents are Mr. and Mrs. Face.

My brothers: Butt and Shit sometimes read this blog and laugh at me.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2014, 09:03:51 PM »
I don't really care. I've long subscribed to the philosophy of "If you don't want everyone in the world to know, don't post it online". My Facebook page is a collection of cat, travel, and hiking pictures, interspersed with birthday greetings. Nothing to see there.

I have a SUPER cookie-cutter name and it's pretty much impossible to find out anything about me online without my help. People can't even find me on Facebook when I want them to - I usually have to add people myself. I was in the emergency room last year and my mom was trying to call me, and had trouble getting to the right place because there was another person also in the ER at the same time with the exact same name - even the same middle name! That's how non-unique I am.

I was a bit concerned about the possible repercussions when I officially went public in April espousing Mustachianism on TV and in the newspapers. But nothing happened, so there. My coworkers thought it was cool.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2014, 09:09:11 PM »
Zikoris- is rhyming with a female body part intentional?

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2014, 09:15:13 PM »
I just always try to be anonymous online. Always have. My goal is to be un-googleable.

I'm not sure why, but that is how this whole internet thing started. Everyone's goal was to be anonymous. I just never changed with the times. I'm "old" enough to be a part of that original internet generation.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2014, 11:05:01 PM »
Zikoris- is rhyming with a female body part intentional?

Dafuq?

goodlife

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2014, 01:05:20 AM »
I value my privacy very highly. I also share certain opinions here and other details about my life and the things that I struggle with etc. I would not want anyone except for my closests friends and family to know that I have these thoughts. Not that it would necessarily hurt me or anything if a larger audience who knew me in real life was aware of this, but I think it would be highly awkard. Also, if people at work found out how close I am to FI and what I really think of most of them and of working in general.....NOT GOOD!!!!

In terms of being paranoid about some crazed person tracking me down and God knows what...I am not too concerned. It's like being afraid of being in a terrorist attack or a plane crash. Yes, it could happen...but statistically speaking it is highly unlikely. So I don't worry much about it.

esprit-de-lescalier

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2014, 01:37:50 AM »
I think anonymity and privacy is a moving target, in reality there is only an appearance of anonymity on the web. Should you post something illegal have no doubt the FBI will be knocking on your door in short order. As a rule I don't worry about it. I meet enough crazies in real life to think a few extras from "the internet" will make any difference to me.

Also, as far as money being a taboo subject, that's how we got into this mess in the first place. To be honest I think society as a whole needs to be much more open about money and how to deal with it.

lbdance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2014, 11:07:50 AM »
I get people mistaking my small "l" for a capital "I" all the time. 

I have the same issue with my username. It also ties with one of my email addresses which at times makes filling in paper based forms interesting.
I use the same username in most places, so anyone who knows me could probably find me. I just moderate myself as to what I post on the internets in general.

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2014, 11:50:16 AM »
I refer quite a number of people to this site and forum. I try to keep the details about our life that would allow any of them to identify us. I have no problem discussing the topics, strategies and practices that this site provides and we use, but I do not necessarily want coworkers, friends and extended family to know the numbers we play by. Mostly because it's easy to share information, but when people start comparing themselves it has potential to create problems and for those individuals it might mean quitting or never trying. It's much easier to implement concepts than compare numbers.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2014, 11:55:46 AM »
I have never been anonymous here.  Real name etc..   But after reading some of the notes here it may be wise for me to chose another name. 

tracylayton

« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2014, 07:10:10 PM »
I have never been anonymous here.  Real name etc..   But after reading some of the notes here it may be wise for me to chose another name.

You read my mind, I don't know what a "troll" is, but I'm pretty sure I don't want one.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2014, 02:57:20 PM »
My estranged sister who has all the symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder figured out who I was on another forum and trolled me.

She got called out by other members and eventually stopped, but now while I give out some information about myself, I never forget that something like that could happen again.

Also, she wanted to get a "big financial settlement" out of me for libel and slander, so I like to pretend I have less money than I do.

Not that I was libelous.  Sometimes you can't deal with crazy.

I can vouch for BPA. Her sister is CRAZY!

I got myself into some poopoo at my old job, because I mentioned somrthing about a co-worker on another forum (nothing identifiable, except to her apparently) and so I am a little more careful now.

I remember that!  I'm glad you don''t work there any more.