Author Topic: Annuity Mess  (Read 1847 times)

tacosandbeer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Annuity Mess
« on: August 30, 2016, 07:24:15 AM »
Ah, yes, another person in the annuity mess based on the recommendation of a financial advisor.

I'll skip the long story but the short one is: I'm in the process of changing our retirement investments from an advisor to DIY (via Betterment) to not only make them simpler but also more transparent (up until now it's been a challenge to get a real overview of what there is and where it is invested).

But a chunk of our money is tied up in two annuities. They have a 7 year term and we're in year 3. Right now it's a 5% surrender fee for each. Both investments are down (not surprising given the market since we invested) so we'd also be withdrawing at a loss.

My ultimate question is: is it a better approach to wait out the additional years to save the surrender fee (but possibly incur other fund fees) and then move, or to move right now and bite the bullet?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: Annuity Mess
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 07:43:20 AM »
A few questions first: what are the fees attached to your annuities? Is there a mortality and expense fee? A wrap fee? A management fee? What are are costs of the investments inside the annuity? Does the surrender fee decline over time, and if so, what is the schedule?