Author Topic: Annual taxes/registration/inspection fees for your vehicle?  (Read 3272 times)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
Annual taxes/registration/inspection fees for your vehicle?
« on: March 22, 2016, 11:58:35 AM »
Just paid to keep my 2008 Corolla legal for another year, grand total $94.  What does your's run?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 02:29:15 PM by So Close »

mandy_2002

• Bristles
Re: Annual taxes/registration/inspection fees for your vehicle?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 12:39:05 PM »
I lived in WV for years, and there you have to go 3 different places to pay 3 different fees for registration

1.  The car must be inspected once per year at an approved dealer.  During non-work hours, there is almost always a line-up ($12.66 and 1-2 hours)
2.  The personal property taxes for the car must be paid at the assessors office (these were dependent on the value of the car (~$75 for a $5,000 valued car, linear).  Plus, if you leave the state any time after July 1st with your car, they will charge you state property tax for that year some time in the following year, and come after you for it. 
3.  License fees at the DMV for $40-$45 depending on if you have a loan or not.

So my last year in WV cost me about $145 (my car was worth a bit more than $5,000 at the time, but it's a good benchmark). 

In CA, the Smog inspection is done every 2 years for certain aged cars, and there's no separate tax bill.  My total fees here have been about $121 per year. 

Plus the insurance rates in WV for me were about 30% higher than the are in CA currently (clear record). 

WV loves the nickle and dime game.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 01:57:07 PM »
I live in Central PA, and it can vary...

Annual registration is $35.
I ended up paying $65 last year. Don't know what it will be this year.
The variability comes from where you live and where you service your car. All PA residents are subject to an annual inspection, and residents who live in counties over a certain population are subject to annual emissions tests as well. Since these tests can be performed at pretty much any shop, the prices vary wildly. When I took my car in last fall, the price was $79.95 for inspection and emissions, but with a "coupon" it ended up being $29.99. Some places are more, some are less.

What's crazy about the emissions thing is that I know people who live across the county line from each other but because of their address, one has to have an annual emissions test every year and the other does not.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 02:02:30 PM »
I don't know yet...my initial registration (just moved to NJ and bought a car) was absurd because sales tax on the purchase price.  In AZ, I ran from $16/yr to ~$100/year, I think..depending on the vehicle. Older ones are much cheaper.

At least inspections here don't cost anything. AZ was $27.75 every two years (NH is $40-45/year just for inspection...gah!).

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 02:04:20 PM »
CT:  personal property tax is assessed on the value of your car by your local taxing authority (town or city you live in).  In my (high tax) city, I paid close to $900 last year for 2014 VW JSW.  Registration fee is something like $90 every couple of years or so.  No inspection, except for emissions on older cars.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 02:08:45 PM »
In Canada, Northwest Territories, I just renewed the registration for my 1995 Mitsubishi Delica van. To renew or licence a vehicle, the only requirement is to present a proof of insurance. Licence plate is $86 per year. Nothing else is required. My insurance for the van costs $230 per year for civil responsibility only. Some province will require a one-time inspection to register an out-of-province vehicle, regardless of its age, but not the NWT.

Edit: no extra tax is collected upon registering a new or used car.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 02:10:37 PM by yyc-phil »

Nothlit

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 02:26:03 PM »
In Massachusetts I pay the following for a 10 year old Hyundai:

$30/year for inspection (approx - varies a little depending on the inspection station you go to)
$30/year for registration (actually paid as $60 every two years)
$53/year excise tax (varies depending on original MSRP of vehicle, declines over first few years of ownership, then levels off)

Grand total of about $113 per year to the government.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 02:32:20 AM »
I just paid my registration a couple of weeks ago. It was $771.60, of which about $500 is the Transport Accident Charge (as we don't have CTP in Victoria unlike some other states).