Author Topic: analysis paralysis: Car Purchase: What would you do?  (Read 1706 times)

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
analysis paralysis: Car Purchase: What would you do?
« on: September 03, 2019, 03:30:26 PM »
I drive 10-12k a year, mostly city miles in Utah. I need some help putting down the excel spreadsheets and simply making a decision.

10k miles / 30 mpg (previous car got this) * $3.00 per gallon = $1k of gas per year.

My work has free charging stations; I've been here for 5 months, and see myself here for at least the next 2 years.  The idea is an electric car could save me this $1k annually.

1. https://cars.ksl.com/listing/5796844?ad_cid=8
2012 Ford Focus electric for $9k, with a new battery in 2017 (extended version as well!).  74k miles (should this matter?), 13k miles on the new battery.  Thoughts?  Is this a good deal?  Kbb.com says no, but it doesn't put into the fact there's a 2 year old battery in it...

2A. https://cars.ksl.com/listing/5856567?ad_cid=1
2013 Chevy Volt Premier. 30 mile electric range, then 40 mpg gas! 69k miles for $10k.

2B.  I've noticed some cars sell for less outside my state... https://tinyurl.com/y32cb4en
$7k for 102k miles 2013 (1200 miles away).  I've seen some similar numbers being sold in California (700 miles away)... Am I crazy to fly out to buy and drive home?  Seems like I could potentially save $1-2k doing so? 

3. Government Auto Auction: https://autoauctions.gsa.gov/GSAAutoAuctions/SaleNumber/9NFBFC19913

There are 16 small sedans (~6 year old), hybrids and regular cars... Is it worth flying into LA to win an auction and drive home? This is how I bought my last vehicle (although it was local), saved me $2k kbb value vs what I paid for. around 15 hours of flying/driving to save $2k (maybe $2k, but maybe not).

I'll be officially car-less come 9/10/19.  As much as I'd like to say I could ride my bike and be carless... SLC is too spread out to do so (okay fine I'm just a wimp).

Am I trying too hard to save money on gas?  Should I buy another 100% gas vehicle?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 03:35:08 PM by teltic »

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Re: analysis paralysis: Car Purchase: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 04:20:07 PM »
Get the Volt.

It's more flexible than a pure EV for longer trips, though your numbers are off.  A Gen 1 will get you about 35-40 miles on battery (less in the winter), and about 30-35mpg on gas (at least if you put ethanol premium in).

https://syonyk.blogspot.com/2019/07/i-bought-used-chevy-volt-and-you-should-too.html

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 07:43:07 PM »
+1 on the volt, that's a pretty good deal

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 08:02:15 PM »
Given those choices I would go with the Volt. They are asking way too much for the 2012 EV

ETA: Don't forget alternatives. What distance is your commute, and how much other driving do you do? If it is only work, an electric bike might be a good choice. My last gig before retiring put my commute distance outside of my comfortable daily biking distance, but I was able to buy a used electric bike for $500, then sell it for $450 when I was done. That is cheaper than the registration for a car, let alone the depreciation :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 08:04:43 PM by CanuckExpat »

minimustache1985

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 08:49:25 PM »
I think the Volt is the best of what you’ve posted specifically.

If you decide to go the auction route I’d also consider Vegas which is much closer to SLC than LA is.  Nellis Auction has cars pretty regularly- some are bankruptcy liquidation, some were donated to charities that could use the auction money more than a car, others are company fleet vehicles.  I’ve only bought a few amazon return items from them (they liquidate those, though they can’t say they’re from amazon) but know they do cars.

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 02:18:23 PM »
I ended up with a 2015 Chevy Volt for $12k.  38k miles... New tires.  KBB was 13.5k... I predict a loss of $1k per year in depreciation.  My roommate bought a 2004 Hyundai Accent for $3k 4 years ago, and still runs like a champ (140k to 180k now).  Makes me feel a little sad about spending $12k.... But whatever!  It'll be fun to test out driving electric... and I should be able to offset most of my depreciation with the free gas/electric.

Maybe not the most optimal car deicision... But I don't think I failed!  Baby face punches to me?

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 02:29:31 PM »
What's your annual mileage?  Do the TCO numbers.  I worked out that the difference between a Mazda 3 and our Volt was on the order of $600/yr difference, but that also insulates me from fuel price spikes.  If fuel prices go up rapidly, it doesn't impact my operating cost much.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 04:52:14 AM »
What's your annual mileage?  Do the TCO numbers.  I worked out that the difference between a Mazda 3 and our Volt was on the order of $600/yr difference, but that also insulates me from fuel price spikes.  If fuel prices go up rapidly, it doesn't impact my operating cost much.

I drive 10-12k a year, mostly city miles in Utah.

Literally the first line of the OP!