Author Topic: AmEx Blue Cash cards rewards -- does Sprouts count as a supermarket?  (Read 8621 times)

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi--does anyone have the AmEx Blue Cash Preferred card and know if Sprouts counts as a supermarket for the cash back? I called AmEx and all they could tell me is the info already on the website, she said they don't have a master list of who's eligible. It seems like it should count, but I just want to make sure before I decide. Thanks!

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
Re: AmEx Blue Cash cards rewards -- does Sprouts count as a supermarket?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 07:19:01 AM »
My experience is that it can vary from store to store, just depending on how they code transactions at a given location. We don't have any Sprouts around here, but I'm a huge fan of the card. The 6% groceries and AmEx offers alone total way more than the annual fee.

reformingSucka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 08:30:27 AM »
Call AMEX and ask. They're let you know.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 08:37:26 AM »
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1646447-what-isn-t-included-u-s-supermarket-category.html

According to this, Sprouts counts. I would be shocked if it didn't. They even have a very small Oregon-only discount grocer on there.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 09:55:19 AM »
Does Aldi count?

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 10:05:19 AM »
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1646447-what-isn-t-included-u-s-supermarket-category.html

According to this, Sprouts counts. I would be shocked if it didn't. They even have a very small Oregon-only discount grocer on there.
[/quote
It is up to the store, not AmEx. When we first moved here, we didn't notice for a few months that one of the major chains hadn't registered as a grocery store.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 10:11:03 AM »
I'm pretty sure Sprouts will code as grocery. If you're not sure, you could make a small purchase on the card then check online how it was coded a few days later after it posts.

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 02:31:39 PM »
Thanks, everyone! As noted in the OP I did call AmEx and they couldn't tell me for sure. I was just hoping to hear from someone who had the card and had personally shopped at Sprouts :) I will probably get the card regardless, but I buy all my produce and meat at Sprouts already so I'd really like to get that 6% without having to change my shopping habits (if you have a Sprouts nearby and haven't gone in, give it a shot! their produce and meat is miles above King Soopers and Safeway in terms of quality, and if you shop the sales it's actually cheaper. just stay away from the $6 bottles of organic juice haha).

Thanks, this person seems like they fit what I was looking for!

Pushkina2

• Stubble
  • Proud Member of Prozac Nation
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 06:29:16 PM »
I shop at Sprouts with my cash back AMEX and it qualifies!

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 06:49:41 PM »
Sprouts has worked for me in the past too.
It may vary, depending on how a particular store is coded, but generally speaking Sprouts seems to be working.
HTH.