Author Topic: American Funds (ABALX and RAFBX) VS Other Alternatives  (Read 1678 times)

sdt1890

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
American Funds (ABALX and RAFBX) VS Other Alternatives
« on: July 04, 2017, 01:56:55 PM »
What would be the closest fund to match these through the likes of Vanguard or Fidelity? ABALX and RAFBX make up the majority of my existing portfolio. My employer offers this plan with a match (which I am exceeding in contributions), but I'm evaluating other alternatives besides just AF at the moment to complement these, that might have lower fees.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
Re: American Funds (ABALX and RAFBX) VS Other Alternatives
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 08:21:46 AM »
Post your available funds and expense ratios and the folks here should be able to help.  You probably want to keep the money in your retirement fund for the tax benefits so you are limited to the funds there.

Holyoak

• Bristles
Re: American Funds (ABALX and RAFBX) VS Other Alternatives
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 10:59:39 AM »
Dang, 1.46% ER for RAFBX, with .74% being 12b-1 fees...  Ouch.  The ABALX (.59% ER) seems to be a balanced fund...  How does this jive with your age, and investment philosophy?  I would strongly be looking over your company offerings for an S&P 500 index, or total market type index fund IMO...  But even then, I have seen these types of funds have crazy high costs in 401k/403B plans.  Damn, what a racket.