Author Topic: Amazon vs Grocery Store  (Read 10702 times)

lil_miss_frugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Amazon vs Grocery Store
« on: October 01, 2015, 10:08:10 AM »
Hey fellow mustachians!

So last Friday I took advantage of the discounted Amazon Prime membership cost ($67) and I've been looking to purchase a few household items from amazon (hoping for a cheaper cost). I usually do all of my grocery shopping at Wal-Mart and Publix (sometimes Cotsco). I'm trying to determine if I'm getting a better deal by purchasing things like contact solution, shampoo... etc from Amazon vs at the grocery store.

Does anyone use Amazon to buy household products that most people would normally buy at a store? If so what are some of the things you buy?

Thanks in advance!

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
Re: Amazon vs Grocery Store
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 10:46:30 AM »
We looked closely at this (long time Prime member). The local Kroger continues to be cheaper for us. good luck!

COlady

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 10:48:51 AM »
Ditto to acroy. I buy diapers, wipes, etc. from Amazon but have found that household cleaners and supplies are more expensive on Amazon.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 10:59:13 AM »
I got Charmin toilet paper for $0.49 a roll (I think 48 rolls?) and Sparkle paper towels (36 rolls) through Amazon and found it was the best quality/price for me, compared to BJs and Target (and grocery chains).

Amazon has the best non-sale prices for a lot of my cat food, but I usually stock up on sales when it hits Target.

My shampoo and body wash are only available through Prime Pantry, which I've honestly never done. For prime members, it's $6 dollar shipping for a box, and each item takes up a certain percentage. I can see it being useful for those who can't get out to the store that often, but I don't think it's worth it for me. It is slightly cheaper than most stores though.

Get the most out of Prime membership by watching using their streaming service (like Netflix), making a radio station (like Pandora), participating in the Kindle Lending library... I paid full price for it in Feb. and honestly it's worth it for me. I also use the Amazon CC and get 5% back on all Amazon purchases.

lil_miss_frugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 12:49:26 PM »
I got Charmin toilet paper for $0.49 a roll (I think 48 rolls?) and Sparkle paper towels (36 rolls) through Amazon and found it was the best quality/price for me, compared to BJs and Target (and grocery chains).

Amazon has the best non-sale prices for a lot of my cat food, but I usually stock up on sales when it hits Target.

My shampoo and body wash are only available through Prime Pantry, which I've honestly never done. For prime members, it's $6 dollar shipping for a box, and each item takes up a certain percentage. I can see it being useful for those who can't get out to the store that often, but I don't think it's worth it for me. It is slightly cheaper than most stores though.

Get the most out of Prime membership by watching using their streaming service (like Netflix), making a radio station (like Pandora), participating in the Kindle Lending library... I paid full price for it in Feb. and honestly it's worth it for me. I also use the Amazon CC and get 5% back on all Amazon purchases.

I was most excited about the Kindle Lending library before I got Prime but was disappointed to learn that I needed to own a kindle to use it. So far I have found that buying toilet paper is cheaper through Amazon!

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 01:05:38 PM »
I was most excited about the Kindle Lending library before I got Prime but was disappointed to learn that I needed to own a kindle to use it.

Booooo! I have a Kindle, but I didn't realize you had to have one to be a part of it - I thought that was part of Prime. Again I say, boooooooo.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 01:15:23 PM by Lis »

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 01:07:54 PM »
I use Amazon grocery for buying bulk spices and items they don't sell in my area.

Most of the grocery items are more expensive than my local stores except for the bulk spices. I make dishes that use a lot of spices and the tiny jars at the local grocery become expensive.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 04:29:59 PM »
I used Pantry to ship groceries to the hotel I was staying at in Disney. The selection wasn't great then and the sizes big, but price was right and it was in our room just as planned.

my dad is having surgery, the last remaining driver in our family. We will stock up ahead, then use local chain's delivery service. But I plan to check Amazon and Jet for the convenience and hopefully the price.  Jet did take 6 weeks to deliver a food item that they said would be shipped in 3 days. They did give me my money back and 6 weeks later it actually showed up. And they are confusing on pricing. I would love to do an Amazon subscription on things commonly used if I knew the price is right.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 04:39:31 PM »
First off, subscribe and save is the way to go. 15% off? Yes please.

I go back and forth on whether costco or amazon have cheaper coconut oil and olive oil. Coupons make it cheaper on amazon.

Amazon is cheapest for the apricot kernel oil I use for lotion. I also get floss, razors, and toothpaste through amazon- technically cheaper at Costco, but I don't have the storage relative to how slowly we go through those. I buy my shaving gel on Amazon too, and my co-wash (shampoo alternative). Trash bags are cheapest on amazon I've found.

Costco tends to have a better price on TP and paper towels, but that depends if there is an amazon coupon.

Grocery store is almost always more expensive for all these things IME.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 05:42:07 PM »

I go back and forth on whether costco or amazon have cheaper coconut oil and olive oil. Coupons make it cheaper on amazon.

Amazon is cheapest for the apricot kernel oil I use for lotion. I also get floss, razors, and toothpaste through amazon- technically cheaper at Costco, but I don't have the storage relative to how slowly we go through those. I buy my shaving gel on Amazon too, and my co-wash (shampoo alternative). Trash bags are cheapest on amazon I've found.

Costco tends to have a better price on TP and paper towels, but that depends if there is an amazon coupon.

how do you get Amazon coupons?  I've never heard of that. I get deal of the day emails but never anything food related.

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 08:20:06 PM »

how do you get Amazon coupons?  I've never heard of that. I get deal of the day emails but never anything food related.

I'm curious about this too. It seems like Costco usually has better prices, but if you stacked the coupons and subscribe and save, maybe Amazon would win. But how do you have get coupons on the five things you need to get the 15% subscribe and save discount?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 09:57:54 PM »

I'm curious about this too. It seems like Costco usually has better prices, but if you stacked the coupons and subscribe and save, maybe Amazon would win. But how do you have get coupons on the five things you need to get the 15% subscribe and save discount?

On the "shop subscribe and save" page, they have cycling coupons that you "clip". I've had dollar values (ie, $1 off) and % values. They last until you use them once clipped.

Ex., right now there is 30% off all Burt's Bees products, 20% off select Degree products, 5% off blue dog food, etc. They are literally titled "subscribe and save coupons".

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 05:06:54 AM »
On the "shop subscribe and save" page, they have cycling coupons that you "clip". I've had dollar values (ie, $1 off) and % values. They last until you use them once clipped.

Ah, I think that is the part I was missing; coupons last until used. So you just accumulate coupons for things you are planning to buy, until you have enough stuff to subscribe to 5 things, in order to get the 15 % discount? Then I guess cancel the subscription after delivery and repeat the cycle?

Kaplin261

• Bristles
    • Michael Foutz
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 05:14:23 AM »
I do not have Amazon prime. I do use there Subscribe and Save service. I have reduced my monthly trips to the grocery store and i'm spending about the same maybe a little less. Less chores and not spending any extra money, worth it to me.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 07:16:21 AM »
setup slickdeal alerts for amazon subscribe then buy the household stuff you need and throw in some extras every month to knock it down to 15% off ... its easily cheaper than any grocery store the deals they have often get sold out quick so you have to buy first think later if you really need the item or not but with S&S its so easy to cancel. 

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 07:24:41 AM »
I do subscribe and save for things like tea, baby wipes, rain drops (we cloth diaper and have hard water), and litter genie refills.  We also sometimes use it to buy toiletries in bulk (like 5 packs of toothpaste / soap, etc.).  We tend to buy less chemically stuff in these areas (Tom's, Dr. Bronners, etc.) and Amazon is often cheaper than grocery stores for these brands.  I haven't found it to be useful for general groceries, really.  We got a bunch of pantry coupons and haven't used them.

I really like the idea of using them for a vacation, though.  We frequently do VRBO, and having groceries delivered seems like a nice idea.

lil_miss_frugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 07:26:43 AM »
I do not have Amazon prime. I do use there Subscribe and Save service. I have reduced my monthly trips to the grocery store and i'm spending about the same maybe a little less. Less chores and not spending any extra money, worth it to me.

I just discovered Subscribe and Save yesterday while checking Amazon's price of toilet paper. Is this service free or is there a monthly charge?

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 08:10:43 AM »
I just discovered Subscribe and Save yesterday while checking Amazon's price of toilet paper. Is this service free or is there a monthly charge?

Subscribe and save itself is free. You also have the option to skip months if you don't need a refill of the product yet. Just be cautious - it will charge you every month (or time period of your choosing) unless you remember to skip.

Does someone know if the product changes prices, it'll automatically charge you the new price? Or does it stick to the price you agreed upon when you first purchased? That's something to look into too.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 08:38:11 AM »

Subscribe and save itself is free. You also have the option to skip months if you don't need a refill of the product yet. Just be cautious - it will charge you every month (or time period of your choosing) unless you remember to skip.

Does someone know if the product changes prices, it'll automatically charge you the new price? Or does it stick to the price you agreed upon when you first purchased? That's something to look into too.

If the prices changes by more than 15% it emails you.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 01:48:48 PM »
this has been wonderfully helpful, thank you all!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 01:57:31 PM »
I use it for various things. I like using a Cetaphil face wash, and it is a lot cheaper through Amazon, they used to have it 15% if you subscribe and save, and since a bottle lasts me a long time, I just set it for 6 months.

They used to have good prices on some protein bars, but I don't really eat them now so I don't know how good they are to compare with. I do like using a meal replacement mix (mostly used when I'm on the road as eating out isn't the best and it is what I eat in the mornings most days) that I found a lot cheaper on Amazon.

Beyond that, I live close to an Aldi so I can buy most things cheaper there or at the local grocery store (which is a block from my house).