Author Topic: Amazon Prime membership increasing to $140  (Read 8613 times)

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Amazon Prime membership increasing to $140
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2022, 01:20:17 PM »
Music is an extra $6/mo

Yeah this is somethign I do not get. I dont buy any extras on Amazon except when they offer showtime or hbo or whatever at 99 cents per month.  I get it for that one month and immediately cancel.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2022, 01:24:02 PM »
I don’t drive, so Amazon has made a big difference to me. It’s definitely worth the money for *me*.

I'm unable to do a lot of my own shopping due to disability and I definitely order things from Amazon if it's something I can't order online from a local shop. But I don't subscribe to Prime and I try to use alternatives to Amazon if possible.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2022, 01:38:13 PM »
"We pay this fee because they've got lots of free Kindle books or shipping is free"-- Uhh, guys... it's not free if you have to pay over $100/mo for the privilege. If you're buying enough shit that the free shipping justifies the price of Prime then you're buying too much crap that's very likely to end up in a landfill in pretty short order. You can get truly free books, ebooks, movies, etc from your local library.

We've truly lost the plot haven't we?

It's not $100/mo.  It's $11.58.  You are entitled to yoru opinion but with what I buy and need for this household on Amazon, it would cost me that much just in auto fuel.  not considering the wear and tear on vehicle.. not including the 5% I get back with Amazin Prime Credit card.  Also saves a lot of time as it is delivered to yoru door.. Wow you really like shopping at department stores for random items you can't even read a review on?   At leat everythign I buy online I am making an informed decision instead of whatever is in stock on the shelves.  The amazon prime videos, free audible books, kindle books, photo storage are just added freebies which many make use of.   You risk your life driving around town several times per month instead of just payign $11.58 per month (whcih would barely cover yoru gas).

e.g. I bought a $6 audio cable from Amazon yesterday, which I'd have to drive 20 miles roudn trip for here locally.  at 50 cents per mile that's $10 for gas and wear and tear on vehicle.  You do the math :)  That one trip for an audio cable pays for the prime subscription.  Not to mention saving an hour of your time or more in traffic.. and lowering the risk you'd get in an auto accident.  Auto accidents suck I've been in a couple.

Also returns are a breeze if I nee dto do one.. No driving to store and waiting in line. I jsut print out the label and sit on my porch for the UPS driver to come pick up.

I cant stand driving to stores only to find the item I want is out of stock after spendign 15 minutes looking for it with assistance of clueless helpers.   Waiting in long lines suck too.   So does parking sometimes.

Ok but like you understand you can sill shop online (including amazon) if you dont have prime, right?  And without prime you get free shipping on orders over 25$.  For small stuff without prime you can either bundle a few orders over a week or two or pay the 5$ for shipping.  Prime may still be a good value if you think you reeeeelllly need lots of fairly cheep stuff right noooow(!!!!) on a regular basis or like the shows it includes or use the web storage etc.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2022, 01:39:03 PM »
I don’t drive, so Amazon has made a big difference to me. It’s definitely worth the money for *me*.

I'm unable to do a lot of my own shopping due to disability and I definitely order things from Amazon if it's something I can't order online from a local shop. But I don't subscribe to Prime and I try to use alternatives to Amazon if possible.

This is what I was coming to say - everyone does know that you can order from Amazon without paying for Prime, right?  You even still get free shipping on orders over $25, it's just not guaranteed to arrive in 2 days.  Prime isn't a membership, or even free shipping, it's just faster shipping.  Whether you should/do buy things from Amazon is an entirely separate question from whether you should pay for Prime.

The only reason we still had Prime was for Prime Video.  Now that the price is going up, we've put an alert on the calendar to cancel before the next renewal.  If there's something we want to watch in the future, we'll just pay for a single month.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2022, 02:48:31 PM »

This is what I was coming to say - everyone does know that you can order from Amazon without paying for Prime, right?  You even still get free shipping on orders over $25, it's just not guaranteed to arrive in 2 days.  Prime isn't a membership, or even free shipping, it's just faster shipping.  Whether you should/do buy things from Amazon is an entirely separate question from whether you should pay for Prime.

The only reason we still had Prime was for Prime Video.  Now that the price is going up, we've put an alert on the calendar to cancel before the next renewal.  If there's something we want to watch in the future, we'll just pay for a single month.

Can you have a Chase Amazon Prime credit Card without the subscription? I get a whopping 5% back on everything I buy from Amazon.  Looked at my recent ordcers for past couple months.  Seems I order quite a bit of small items under $25.  Would be sleightly annoying for me to have to wait on the order until I have $25 in cart.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2022, 02:50:22 PM »
It is kind of annoying that they are increasing cost of Amazon Prime, when they dont' even often get your packge to you in 2 days ever since covid.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2022, 03:08:15 PM »
Can you have a Chase Amazon Prime credit Card without the subscription? I get a whopping 5% back on everything I buy from Amazon.  Looked at my recent ordcers for past couple months.  Seems I order quite a bit of small items under $25.  Would be sleightly annoying for me to have to wait on the order until I have $25 in cart.

I had the Amazon card before becoming a Prime member. As soon as I subscribed, they sent me a new card with the word "Prime" emblazoned on it. I assume the same thing would happen, but in reverse, if you dropped Prime:

https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/amazon/earn-rewards

Note that the rebate rate drops down to 3% without a prime membership -- still pretty good.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2022, 03:08:29 PM »
The Chase Amazon card gets 3% back on Amazon purchases if you don't have Prime.  Also, if you have a Chase Freedom or Discover card with rotating categories, they sometimes have Amazon as a category for 5% cash back for 3 months of the year.

If you're only justifying the cost of Prime because of the extra 2% cash back, you'd have to spend $6950 to make up the $139 annual cost in cash back.

If you find value in using Prime Video as your streaming service, then it probably makes sense to have Prime.  But you can still shop on Amazon, and get free shipping and returns, without having a membership.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2022, 04:11:19 PM »
The Chase Amazon card gets 3% back on Amazon purchases if you don't have Prime.  Also, if you have a Chase Freedom or Discover card with rotating categories, they sometimes have Amazon as a category for 5% cash back for 3 months of the year.

If you're only justifying the cost of Prime because of the extra 2% cash back, you'd have to spend $6950 to make up the $139 annual cost in cash back.

If you find value in using Prime Video as your streaming service, then it probably makes sense to have Prime.  But you can still shop on Amazon, and get free shipping and returns, without having a membership.

I jsut read you can watch Amazon Prime videos alone for $8.99 per month.  So I could start treating it like I do all other services.. Subscribe and cancel immediately for one month of service and just binge watch all the shows I am interested in, in that time.. mabye subscribing 1-2 months per year.

Yeah but you might wait 3 times longer to get something you can tolerate getting in 1 to 2 days instead.   Also the inconvenience of having to wait a week more to get $25 in cart can be annoying. It starts to make it not worth it combined with the extra 2% back on the prime card.

That said, you guys got me re-evaluating.  When I signed up for $99 per year I was outraged when it went to $119.  Now I can't imagine noit having the service.. But now that's it's $140.. well that's greedy and I'm starting to consider not resubscribing lol.  Can I get a prorated refund on my yearly subscription?  I paid $119 like last month if I recall.

EDIT: Havign to wait a week or so to get cart full enough to purchase then wait another 5-8 days for delivery.. it can take like 2 weeks to get an item you could of gotten potentially the very next day.   This is why I signed up for the Prime service in the first place, for $99 per year originally before they had (or I made use of) the video service.  I'd end up driving to local dept stores for more things, things that cost less than $25 if I started having to wait 2 weeks to get something.. then a couple trips per month doing that will cost as much as the monthly membership fee.. and i then also waste time and risk life on road.  I dunno, thinking about it more it seems worth it.. plus I recently got two $25 dollar audible books for free.. two health related books I would of had to spend $50 on otherwise.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 04:24:43 PM by JenniferW »

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2022, 04:52:18 PM »
I often consider the wait a feature not a flaw. It ensures I really want/need something and it cuts down on frivolous purchases. Yes there are rare times I really need something faster and that’s when I accept their free offer (and for the rest of the month select slow shipping to collect up digital credits).

Btw, for all I don’t pay it, I don’t find shipping to be $5. It’s often more.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 09:00:22 AM by Captain FIRE »

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2022, 05:03:05 PM »
There are items I get every month from Amazon.  e.g. Liquid Stevia (8oz) and my Multivitamin.  I suppose I could use those as add-on items if I need somethign a bit sooner.  I also read if you buy an Amazon gift card you get free shipping?   The cost of the card doesnt' count towards the $25, but allows you to get free one day shipping ont he order when combined.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2022, 05:04:01 PM »
I dunno, thinking about it more it seems worth it.. plus I recently got two $25 dollar audible books for free.. two health related books I would of had to spend $50 on otherwise.

Does your library offer the same audiobooks online for free?

I have gotten free trial subscriptions for Audible in the past, and it's hard for me to find books to "purchase" that I can't get from the library (I eventually find some, but it's work).  I do enjoy listening to their Audible Originals sometimes, but not enough to pay for them.

(I'm not trying to say Prime is a waste for you or anyone in particular, just throwing out options in case you don't know/forgot about them.)

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2022, 05:22:14 PM »
I just calculated how much on average I spend on Amazon and it's about $200 per month.  So the difference between 3% and 5% Amazon Prime Cards amount to 2% of 200 = $4.00 per month.    $139/12 = $11.58 per month.   $11.58 - $4.00 = $7.58.  So a good 1/3rd of the monthly fee is reduced just by the difference between the two Chase Amazon Store cards. 

$7.58 per month for convenience of getting items in 1-2 days and avoiding having to travel to a local store when you need something sooner than 5-8 days... my car gets like 18 mpg in town btw.   I actually think in the worst case I'd break even on average, becuase I know I'd end up having to drive locally to places because I wouldnt' be able to wait 8 days to get something.   So basically the Amazon prime Video is free and I get to save time and not risk my life driving.   Just gonna stick with it.  It seems worth it to me.  My savigns is about $1500 per month after I pay off this mortgage in 2.5 years.   I am so frugal in every way.. most of the time anyways... I dont' think $7.50 amounts to much compared to the $1500 per month and again I think I'd break even in the worst case due to gas, time and mileage on car.

[That said another subscription is killing me.. the only one I have.. the Adobe Photography Plan.  Use of Photoshop pro and Lightroom for $9.99 per month.  I do phtoography and photo editing from tiem to time.  Been usign it 8 years.. wow they got like $1000 from me these past years.  I don't thinkt hey sell the actual software package alone anymore I am noit sure.. rather buy it because I never really would need to upgrade those pieces of software.. I can't think of any new features I've needed over the past 8 years.]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 05:27:31 PM by JenniferW »

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2022, 07:39:36 PM »
Re:  5% cards, Affinity FCU has a 5% card good at bookstores, aka Amazon. I don't have it but I am considering it.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2022, 08:00:08 PM »
I often consider the wait a feature not a flaw. It ensures I really want/need something and an cut down on frivolous purchases.

yes.  I often put things in my wish list to let it cool off.  Like if I really still want it in a few weeks or a month maybe but lets just not impulse buy shinny junk or books I wont read.

Canceled prime today.  Looking over my history nearly all my orders were comfortably over 25$ anyway and I tend to mentally make lists over a week or two then sit down and order a few things all at once.

moustachebar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2022, 08:07:37 PM »
AWS Glacial storage has some drawbacks. In general I find BackBlaze cloud storage cheaper the AWS S3, but maybe Amazon has adjusted their prices to be more competitive...

Ah, ok. I checked backblaze and it's about $6/ mo. I like the sound of $2!

CoffeeR

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2022, 08:23:10 PM »
AWS Glacial storage has some drawbacks. In general I find BackBlaze cloud storage cheaper the AWS S3, but maybe Amazon has adjusted their prices to be more competitive...

Ah, ok. I checked backblaze and it's about $6/ mo. I like the sound of $2!
Understood. I hope you find what you need. I was not referring to the BackBlaze backup service @ $6.00/month but their cloud storage @ .5 cents per GB (or $5/TB) vs AWS S3 cloud which comes in at different price points that depending on particulars can be less, but generally is more (I'm ignoring for now certain ingress/egress/access fees). I see no way to get to get to < $2 per TB on AWS S3 unless you use S3 Glacier Deep Archive which for many users would not work well as backup, but I might be missing something and admittedly I have not look at this very careful.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2022, 02:24:45 AM »
Would be cool if enough Amazon customers protested and cancelled because of the rate hike. Same with Netflix.  The stock market is in it's largest bubble since 1999 and is approaching 1999 P/E Ratios (See Shiller PE Ratio chart).. way past black tuesday levels.  These companies keep trying to increase growth by charging more etc so the bubble doesn't burst.  I say let pop..and HARD.

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2022, 05:41:54 AM »
"We pay this fee because they've got lots of free Kindle books or shipping is free"-- Uhh, guys... it's not free if you have to pay over $100/mo for the privilege. If you're buying enough shit that the free shipping justifies the price of Prime then you're buying too much crap that's very likely to end up in a landfill in pretty short order. You can get truly free books, ebooks, movies, etc from your local library.

We've truly lost the plot haven't we?

It's not $100/mo.  It's $11.58.  You are entitled to yoru opinion but with what I buy and need for this household on Amazon, it would cost me that much just in auto fuel.  not considering the wear and tear on vehicle.. not including the 5% I get back with Amazin Prime Credit card.  Also saves a lot of time as it is delivered to yoru door.. Wow you really like shopping at department stores for random items you can't even read a review on?   At leat everythign I buy online I am making an informed decision instead of whatever is in stock on the shelves.  The amazon prime videos, free audible books, kindle books, photo storage are just added freebies which many make use of.   You risk your life driving around town several times per month instead of just payign $11.58 per month (whcih would barely cover yoru gas).

e.g. I bought a $6 audio cable from Amazon yesterday, which I'd have to drive 20 miles roudn trip for here locally.  at 50 cents per mile that's $10 for gas and wear and tear on vehicle.  You do the math :)  That one trip for an audio cable pays for the prime subscription.  Not to mention saving an hour of your time or more in traffic.. and lowering the risk you'd get in an auto accident.  Auto accidents suck I've been in a couple.

Also returns are a breeze if I nee dto do one.. No driving to store and waiting in line. I jsut print out the label and sit on my porch for the UPS driver to come pick up.

I cant stand driving to stores only to find the item I want is out of stock after spendign 15 minutes looking for it with assistance of clueless helpers.   Waiting in long lines suck too.   So does parking sometimes.

I don't go to department stores. I buy groceries once per week. I buy things from the hardware store and the auto parts store for projects/maintenance that comes up around the house. I'll occasionally visit a thrift shop. That's pretty much it for a normal week or month.
I live in a rural setting, but nearly all of the places that I shop are within 5 miles of my home. I drive a PHEV, so it costs tons less than your $0.50/mile estimate. Hopefully if you live someplace that's 20 miles from a charging cord, then you've got a vehicle that doesn't actually cost $0.50/mile to operate too. I'm skilled enough, experienced enough and aware enough behind the wheel that I trust myself to be able to safely handle most things that come up on the road. For the situations that I cannot control, I trust the safety and crash test ratings of my vehicle. Road safety is not something that deters me from making trips out. Time/money/environmental concerns are.
For those reasons, trips are combined as much as possible. I'm not buying things every day of the week. I'm not making random trips into town for trinkets unless I need a part to fix something.
Large purchases are planned well in advance, researched as much as possible online, and if it's something that I plan to take with me, I'll usually call ahead or verify online that the product is on hand before leaving.
I'm the type of person that wants to pick out their own produce, try on the clothes to make sure they're of decent quality and fitment before buying, handle the item that I'm about to exchange my hard earned money for, etc.

I understand that buying things online from time to time is necessary and can even be preferred. What I'm against, is paying  extra for a service like Prime that makes consumption so easy. It sets the expectation that you can have whatever at your door in just a day or two. Then all of a sudden, you're having things delivered to your door several times per week instead of combining all of that into one trip for yourself. There's a huge environmental impact there. It comes from inefficient trucks making all of those trips. It comes from some $6 widget being packed into a massive cardboard box filled with plastic bubble wrap that's likely just thrown away.

There's also likely to be more financial waste. Besides paying an unnecessary $11.66/mo for Prime (when you can likely get free shipping on most orders in similar time anyway as you admit), paying for a service like that means it's more likely to be used. Then you start to justify why it's ok to have a $6 charging cord shipped 20 miles or whatever on Monday, and then some other cheap item show up on Tuesday, etc. The convenience of it all tends to lead to overspending (which impacts you as an individual) and overconsumption (which impacts us all).

Buying things should hurt a little bit. You're exchanging your hard earned money for something, and I think we all benefit if we are forced to stop and think about whether it's actually worth it or not. Is it a need or a want? Can it wait a few days until I run into town anyway, or is it an emergency? Services like Prime are there to make things so easy and convenient that you stop asking those types of questions and just mindlessly hit the checkout button. That mindless spending and consumption seems wildly un-Mustachian to me, even if you can seemingly justify it with gas prices, or safety, or convenience, or how easy it is to return something you shouldn't have bought.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 05:49:56 AM by Paper Chaser »

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2022, 09:36:07 AM »
I can't relate with the article and recent post about you buying more things becausse they are easier to buy.  I have a lot of discipline and only buy things I really need.  It doesn't matter how fast and convenient it is to get.

I have like $60k credit limit between all my credit cards and pay them off in full each month for years now.  So credit cards are convenient, you can have anything you want, NOW.. and if I wasn't disciplined I'd at least max those cards which have 0% APR for 12-15 months before paying off.   I don't even do that let alone carry a balance.  I haven't been charged 1 cent of interest in years.

That said I think I might give cancelling the sub a shot before it's due next Jan.. I just paid $119 this past January.  (I am not sure if they give prorated refunds or not or i'd cancel today.)

I am going to cancel my only other subscription as well:  Adoboe Photoshop/Lightroom sub for $9.99 per month.   Will be nice to be subscription free.  I cant stand them.

I am not happy with the deliverty time in the past couple years.  WHen I first signed up it was $79 and I'd get my packages TWICE as fast that way...  Now they want TWICE as much to get the packages in  almmost the same time as without the sub. Sick of it and  I  don't get their strategy -- I guess they think people likek Prime Video too much.   I'll try to keep a wish list of commonly used items and just add-on those items if I need free shipping on a particular item. Ithink it might work.  And if I need Prime Video, I'll get it 1 month per year at $8.99 and binge watch all the originals in that month.

EDIT: Looking back at the past 6 months of purchases on Amazon prime, I don't regret buying a single thing.. all items get used.  I am not like that person int he article either, buying shampoo etc online .. we go to aldi / walmart for 99% of all our sundries and groceries.  However there is a particular affordable multivitamin I like I get from Amazon as well as the best deals on liquid stevia (coming in 8 oz bottles).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 09:46:26 AM by JenniferW »

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2022, 09:45:54 AM »
Amazon and Netflix have a simply strategy. Boil the frog!

Their price points don't necessarily work for someone who carefully considers their options (or their budget.)

But most people (150 million Amazon Prime members, 222 million Netflix subscribers) won't go through the effort to cancel the subscription (it takes quite a lot to navigate canceling Prime - the dark patterns here are atrocious!) or consider the Herculean efforts required to shop for things without Prime (or find entertainment without Netflix). They'll just leave "autopay" and "renew membership" checked and keep on paying, as the monthly/annual fees rise over time.

So it's hard to question their strategy. It works on enough people for it not to matter if it seems like a bad strategy for the few individuals who opt out.

(Netflix chafes my knickers, because we agreed to share it with our in-laws, which makes it much less trivial to cancel when it hits $19/month. Ugh! Not their fault - I should see if I can get my in-laws to agree to a cancellation...)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 09:52:10 AM by neo von retorch »

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2022, 09:48:51 AM »
But most people (150 million Amazon Prime members, 222 million Netflix subscribers) won't go through the effort to cancel the subscription (it takes quite a lot to navigate canceling Prime - the dark patterns here are atrocious!)

Amazon should be fined by the government for this abuse.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2022, 10:00:42 AM »
But most people (150 million Amazon Prime members, 222 million Netflix subscribers) won't go through the effort to cancel the subscription (it takes quite a lot to navigate canceling Prime - the dark patterns here are atrocious!)

Amazon should be fined by the government for this abuse.

I've signed up for and cancelled free prime seven or eight times.  It's just three clicks from the Amazon home page.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2022, 10:20:51 AM »
Amazon and Netflix have a simply strategy. Boil the frog!

Sidenote: if you tried to actually do the "boil the frog" thing, the frog would jump out of the pot before it dies:

https://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2010/12/07/3085614.htm

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2022, 10:32:51 AM »
I've signed up for and cancelled free prime seven or eight times.  It's just three clicks from the Amazon home page.

Something being possible is part of the definition of it being a dark pattern. It's "three clicks" to get to the beginning of the cancellation process, and at least 3 screens where you have to read each button and make sure it's the one you want, because part of the dark pattern is changing the names and positions of the buttons around, and making it much easier to click anything except the button that takes you out of the maze, and to successful cancellation.

https://google.com/search?q=amazon+cancel+dark+pattern

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2022, 10:44:46 AM »
Something being possible is part of the definition of it being a dark pattern. It's "three clicks" to get to the beginning of the cancellation process, and at least 3 screens where you have to read each button and make sure it's the one you want, because part of the dark pattern is changing the names and positions of the buttons around, and making it much easier to click anything except the button that takes you out of the maze, and to successful cancellation.

https://google.com/search?q=amazon+cancel+dark+pattern

Yes.  when I canceled yesterday at first it was not clear if the first action was all that was needed and the final determiner of my enrolment.  But no each "cancel now" click got me one level deeper.   

Is frustrating, I design gui's a bit at work and always try to make them as easy and intuitive as possible but amazon is making this part of the gui to not be easy so as to maximize profit.  Amazon is after all a profit maximizing organization...

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2022, 10:48:48 AM »
Yes.  when I canceled yesterday at first it was not clear if the first action was all that was needed and the final determiner of my enrolment.  But no each "cancel now" click got me one level deeper.   

Is frustrating, I design gui's a bit at work and always try to make them as easy and intuitive as possible but amazon is making this part of the gui to not be easy so as to maximize profit.  Amazon is after all a profit maximizing organization...

Yup, now I'm sure I'm just a dense moron and not a super genius like others in this thread, but just this week... my spouse had a free trial week and asked me to cancel it for her. I "cancelled" it. 3 screens in. Then waited 2 days and noticed the fee was charged and not refunded for a month of Prime. Grabbed her phone and checked and the membership was still active. Went through a second time and made sure I was staring at the confirmation page, took a screenshot, and the next day the refund was there. Not even sure what I did wrong the first time, but probably wasn't reading the words on the page quite closely enough. Probably something like "You've cancelled PRIME! (if you scroll down and click one more button - or just leave this screen open and we'll undo cancelling it in case you didn't mean it.)"

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2022, 11:01:45 AM »
I can't relate with the article and recent post about you buying more things becausse they are easier to buy.  I have a lot of discipline and only buy things I really need.  It doesn't matter how fast and convenient it is to get.

You're either the exception, or you don't realize any overspending that's happening:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/29/hooked-psychology-explains-why-you-spend-money-on-amazon-prime.html

https://qz.com/2004369/the-pandemic-made-prime-even-more-valuable-to-amazon/

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-prime-members-spend-more-money-sneaky-ways-2019-9

https://www.paystone.com/blog/do-loyalty-programs-cause-consumers-to-spend-more

https://blog.clover.com/study-shows-loyalty-programs-increase-purchases-by-20/

Prime (and nearly all loyalty programs) are just bait dangled in front of consumers by retailers to entice higher spending than would otherwise occur. Even if it's just buying things that you don't regret, or would normally use you may be spending more than you otherwise would.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 11:06:09 AM by Paper Chaser »

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2022, 11:06:11 AM »
The last I heard of any research on if delivery was more efficient than people going out and picking up directly was mixed.  The delivery van is more efficient over all when you consider it is taking 100's of things to people in a moderate sized area but those people are no longer going out shopping and have more free time so maybe they are driving to a friends house instead.  Never mind urban/suburban/rural/etc or if you can pick up the item during some other outing.  So apples to apples is hard, dont know if it is even possible to say if delivery uses less gas or not, but then what is the question: "gas use over all by all people in my area" or "my personal use of gas".  Then amazon is testing out electric delivery vans and what if you own a ICE car... so yeah.  The problem statement is not well defined and any possible answers are hard to generalize. 

I think I have made up my mind to cancel prime and see how it goes.

There's a fairly thorough MIT study about shopping online vs driving around to get it yourself.

(This will be vague since I don't remember the study's exact numbers.)

1) Getting deliveries is better unless you're getting a lot at once (27? items). Delivery companies use software to group neighborhood deliveries together and using a 2+ ton vehicle to pick up milk and cereal is simply not efficient.

This, as you mentioned, gets squirrely if you pick up something on the way to work or a friend's house.

2) The above only applies to "regular" deliveries. If your stuff needs to get flown to the local distribution center to meet the 2 day guarantee, then it's way worse than you driving to the local store.

Getting deliveries via postal mail is the best eco option. The mail truck will already be in your neighborhood.

tl;dr If you're not using a "Prime day,"* you're likely using too much CO2 to get your shit (above and beyond whether you need said shit in the first place.)

* This begs the question: Why have Prime at all if you're using a Prime day? Unless it's for the media.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2022, 11:29:50 AM »
An addendum to my post above:

https://ctl.mit.edu/sites/ctl.mit.edu/files/library/public/Dimitri-Weideli-Environmental-Analysis-of-US-Online-Shopping_0.pdf

Figure 1 shows the purchase of a toy in an urban area. The 2-day-shipping online shopper uses more CO2 than both the b&m shopper and the patient online shopper.

Figure 2 includes the return of the item purchased. The "impulse" b&m shopper (where 1 store is visited -- twice -- for the item and return) is better than all but the online (patient) shopper.

As we can see, it's the store visit in a 2-ton ICE vehicle that's the elephant in the room. If that can be decreased with an EV from renewables, or even better a bike, then even the traditional shopper is (probably) better than the online patient shopper, as far as emissions.

Packaging is the big CO2 cost for online shopping. Reduce the packaging, reduce the emissions.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 11:34:49 AM by bacchi »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2022, 11:39:15 AM »

You're either the exception, or you don't realize any overspending that's happening:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/29/hooked-psychology-explains-why-you-spend-money-on-amazon-prime.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-prime-members-spend-more-money-sneaky-ways-2019-9

Prime (and nearly all loyalty programs) are just bait dangled in front of consumers by retailers to entice higher spending than would otherwise occur. Even if it's just buying things that you don't regret, or would normally use you may be spending more than you otherwise would.
And this is why I'll never have a Target Red Card, lol!

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2022, 12:00:35 PM »
The "loyalty" program I struggle with the most is my grocery store. You get "points" (recently got $14 off gas), free hams/turkeys, in-store discounts...

But of course it prints customized coupons just for you that almost certainly increase spending. It would probably be better to opt out, but I haven't yet... a decade of loyal membership so far!

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2022, 12:02:54 PM »
The "loyalty" program I struggle with the most is my grocery store. You get "points" (recently got $14 off gas), free hams/turkeys, in-store discounts...

But of course it prints customized coupons just for you that almost certainly increase spending. It would probably be better to opt out, but I haven't yet... a decade of loyal membership so far!

Pro Tip: Make your grocery list on paper, then review the coupon options. Only add coupons for things already on the list. If you are accustomed to splurging/impulse, allow for 1 off list purchase per trip. If you have already made your impulse choice and find something else, you must return the 1st item to the shelf you got it from first.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2022, 12:15:32 PM »

Pro Tip: Make your grocery list on paper, then review the coupon options. Only add coupons for things already on the list. If you are accustomed to splurging/impulse, allow for 1 off list purchase per trip. If you have already made your impulse choice and find something else, you must return the 1st item to the shelf you got it from first.

This is my MO, albeit on iBotta and online ordering.  Really, online ordering has been an absolute gamechanger in terms of cutting down on impulse purchases. 

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2022, 12:28:38 PM »

This logic reminds me of Dave Ramsey logic.. "by no means get a credit card.. you'll lose no matter what".  I have like 6 and am making great money with them with sign up bonuses, cash back on purchases etc..and pay them off in full each month.    I also dont' need the credit cards as a buffer as I have my entire emergency fund in my checking/savings account readily accessible.

I think most of us here on the forum are more responsible than the audience those articles are written about.   We are probably < 5% of the population.

Dave Ramsey and those authors just think everyone is dumb.

I can't stand spending money, no matter how fast I can get an item shipped to me or the ability to purhcase anything I want on a credit (and pay later), I refrain.   I really buy most things used and fully depreciated.. or under fair depreciated value, so I have the option later on to sell them if I need the money without a loss.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 12:40:22 PM by JenniferW »

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2022, 12:07:23 PM »
Well this is the last straw!   Amazon silently has done another annoying thing. 

I always used "UPS Pickup" to return packages.  They'd come to the door and pick up the package on the porch.  It was free.  They hid this return option for a long while; it was an option way at the bottom of the list, having to click extra times to see it.

Well they just changed their returns user interface, making it hard to see as option again.  However when you do find it, the want to charge you $6 as a "convenience fee' for UPS pickup.  (I have a shirt to return because it doesn't fit as expected -- they changed the formula or something.)

So now if i want to return something I have to drive across town, ten miles round trip. Bleh. I feel sorry for their customers who don't have a car or can't drive.

I think I will cancel this prime membership.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 12:12:10 PM by JenniferW »

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2022, 12:19:27 PM »
Okay I found out the UPS Pickup option is free if you use "Inaccurate Website Description" instead of "Wrong Size".  It really is not accurate because this top isn't the same as what I bought before.

I guess they wanted to charge the $6 pickup convenience fee since they think it is partially my fault because I "bought the wrong size".   In this case it isn't.

moustachebar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2022, 01:43:28 PM »
Understood. I hope you find what you need. I was not referring to the BackBlaze backup service @ $6.00/month but their cloud storage @ .5 cents per GB (or $5/TB) vs AWS S3 cloud which comes in at different price points that depending on particulars can be less, but generally is more (I'm ignoring for now certain ingress/egress/access fees). I see no way to get to get to < $2 per TB on AWS S3 unless you use S3 Glacier Deep Archive which for many users would not work well as backup, but I might be missing something and admittedly I have not look at this very careful.

This is helpful, thanks!

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2022, 04:50:12 AM »

I always used "UPS Pickup" to return packages.  They'd come to the door and pick up the package on the porch.  It was free.  They hid this return option for a long while; it was an option way at the bottom of the list, having to click extra times to see it.

Well they just changed their returns user interface, making it hard to see as option again.  However when you do find it, the want to charge you $6 as a "convenience fee' for UPS pickup.  (I have a shirt to return because it doesn't fit as expected -- they changed the formula or something.)

So now if i want to return something I have to drive across town, ten miles round trip. Bleh. I feel sorry for their customers who don't have a car or can't drive.

Such entitlement. This is how services like Prime have altered our thinking about how we buy/consume.
You're basically saying "How dare I be expected to pay for a company to make multiple trips to my remote home because I didn't like the thing that I now regret buying from my couch. Why should I have to deal with any negative aspects of my purchasing habits at all? That should be somebody else's problem!"

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2022, 08:03:52 AM »

Such entitlement. This is how services like Prime have altered our thinking about how we buy/consume.
You're basically saying "How dare I be expected to pay for a company to make multiple trips to my remote home because I didn't like the thing that I now regret buying from my couch. Why should I have to deal with any negative aspects of my purchasing habits at all? That should be somebody else's problem!"

They sent me an item that was different than described.   There is no entitlement.  I rarely ever do returns with Amazon.  And I never regret buying anything.  Your comment is annoying.

I've purchased this same product many times over the years.  And all of a sudden they changed it and claim it was the same as I bought before and it isn't.  It doesn't fit at all the same.  There was ZERO error or regret on my part.   It was their error.  (I still want the shirt and am really bummed about it.) In the past, as a part time ebay seller, I have made errors as well, although very rare.  I had to pay shipping both ways. I never whined about it at all. It's all part of business which you learn from to improve your business.  My return rate on ebay was 2%.

I also explained in a subsequent post they aren't charging me a "convenience fee" for UPS pickup after all because I had classified the return incorrectly.  I agree they should charge a convenience fee for people who have regret, etc..
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 08:20:07 AM by JenniferW »

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2022, 08:45:45 AM »
Free 2-day or 1-day shipping is still worth it for me. Plus it's the only streaming service we have anymore (mostly because it is worth it for us on the free 2-day shipping).

We may or may not drop it at some point, and I just renewed at the old price, but when I've done the math historically, I benefit until about $200/year.

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2022, 09:36:13 AM »
I'm probably keeping it when I have to renew in June. I was super upset when they started charging for delivery, but still do Whole Foods pick up that doesn't have an additional charge.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2022, 10:12:49 AM »
Free 2-day or 1-day shipping is still worth it for me.

What are you ordering that is so time sensitive it couldn't wait a couple days?

RainyDay

• Bristles
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2022, 10:16:42 AM »
Has anyone in two-person FIRE households had success agreeing to split a Prime Membership with family or friends to defray the cost? If so, how'd you work it?

I did this with my brother.  We live in different houses.  He has the membership.  We each have separate credit cards with Amazon so anything we buy is charged to the right person.  We each log into our own TVs using his account.  Pretty good deal -- half the cost!  We also do this with Hulu.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2022, 10:23:04 AM »
Free 2-day or 1-day shipping is still worth it for me.

What are you ordering that is so time sensitive it couldn't wait a couple days?

Sometimes I order things so I don't have to go to the grocery store (where I would spend more). It also saves me a trip. This is mainly items <$10, so I would have to spend $25 more on stuff I likely don't need, to get free shipping. I'd almost argue I save $12 a month by not trying to meet the minimum for free shipping. I did this a ton more with Walmart+ orders than Amazon, but it's the same idea.

At least from my anecdotal experience, whenever I've ordered from Amazon not on Prime it takes nearly 1.5-2 weeks to get to me. It appears your order is placed at the bottom of the fulfillment list, below prime orders. When I order on Prime it's 2-3 days. I don't consider the environmental impact because I live in a major city and an Amazon truck passes by my house at least 5x a day.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2022, 11:24:42 AM »
Sometimes I order things so I don't have to go to the grocery store (where I would spend more). It also saves me a trip. This is mainly items <$10, so I would have to spend $25 more on stuff I likely don't need, to get free shipping. I'd almost argue I save $12 a month by not trying to meet the minimum for free shipping. I did this a ton more with Walmart+ orders than Amazon, but it's the same idea.

At least from my anecdotal experience, whenever I've ordered from Amazon not on Prime it takes nearly 1.5-2 weeks to get to me. It appears your order is placed at the bottom of the fulfillment list, below prime orders. When I order on Prime it's 2-3 days. I don't consider the environmental impact because I live in a major city and an Amazon truck passes by my house at least 5x a day.

This is getting close to "well it was on sale for 10$ off so I saved 10$" logic.  Not quite and if you know your weakness and are working to limited it then this might be best. 

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2022, 11:26:33 AM »

I also use Amazon to buy small items all the time, which I'd have to make a trip across town otherwise.  Just one trip per month would eat up much of the $7.50 prime membership -- it's $7.50/mo for me per month because I use the Chase Amazon Prime credit card to get 5% back instead of 3%.

I also don't want to wait two weeks for something I might need within a few days.

There are literally thousands of examples of things one might need in a few days as opposed to weeks, answering another poster's question above.  EDIT: And it only takes me 1 example per month to justify the bulk of my prime fee.

$7.50 /mo for Prime Video alone is a great value to be honest; it's at least fairly worth say $3 per month.  This brings down my shipping service fee to $4.50 per month.  Amazon Prime Video the only service I have a regular subscription to.. others I buy for a single month maybe a couple times per year.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 11:40:30 AM by JenniferW »

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2022, 11:40:36 AM »
I guess I have trouble relating to the "I need something tomorrow" mind set.  Just about everything in my home that I could say I have a general need for I try to apply a "two is one and one is none" philosophy, if I have only one unused of an item I will pick up a second the next time I am out.  This may shift some spending forward but it does not really change the total spend and I am never caught without. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!