Author Topic: Amazon prime - is it worth it?  (Read 21756 times)

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
Re: Amazon prime - is it worth it?
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2015, 07:12:54 AM »
Like I said, I do keep checking every now and then, but I don't buy any of those things except nuts, and the store brand is already more that 20% less than Planters without the trouble of looking for coupons or trying to track down shipments.

If you do Subscribe and Save, do the coupons apply to every shipment or only the first one?

Just the first. Until there is a new coupon then you have to go back and apply it.

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2015, 07:49:33 AM »
I had Amazon Prime since college up until recently when I let it lapse. They increased the annual price. I've noticed Prime items being more expensive. There have been items that sat a day before shipping so it's more like three day shipping at times. More of my packages have been turned over to USPS to be delivered. I live in an apartment building so sometimes USPS claim that the packages are too big/box is full so I have to go to the post office to pick it up. The interface of the video surface could use a facelift. Except for around Christmas I don't buy much on there these days. I bought a second harddrive for my computer recently and got free shipping because it was over $35. Granted it took almost a week to receive it, but I didn't need it immediately. Also stores like Best Buy and Target will price match Amazon.

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2015, 08:25:44 AM »
Like I said, I do keep checking every now and then, but I don't buy any of those things except nuts, and the store brand is already more that 20% less than Planters without the trouble of looking for coupons or trying to track down shipments.

If you do Subscribe and Save, do the coupons apply to every shipment or only the first one?

Just the first. Until there is a new coupon then you have to go back and apply it.

Another important piece of info. Cancel the subscriptions that you have after the items are shipped.  Then throughout the following month, resubscribe with new coupons.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2015, 09:34:36 AM »
5. Shampoo/Conditioner (every six months, a bulk natural brand that I have yet to find, even in Chicago)

Ooh, mind sharing the brand?

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2015, 09:44:27 AM »
5. Shampoo/Conditioner (every six months, a bulk natural brand that I have yet to find, even in Chicago)

Ha!  I just PM'd with the same question.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2015, 02:31:24 PM »

Ha!  I just PM'd with the same question.

I use Kiss My Face Whenever Shampoo and Conditioner (32 oz on every six months on Subscribe and Save). I like it (only wash my hair every three days or so), but shampoo/conditioner works differently for everyone.

dpfromva

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2015, 04:02:27 PM »
I use it as they offered the deal for my DD student. I like the movies and books. I'm techno-impaired, and Amazon makes it easy.

So now DD is using it with her department head to order stuff for her university cuz of the quick delivery and decent prices-- I'm seeing messages like "Your ginormous air compressor order has shipped" -- wtf? until DD told me what was going on. I'm probably on some high-value super customer list by now . . .

ArcadeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2015, 04:30:14 PM »
For me, no, it's not. It just auto renewed so I guess I am stuck with it. We don't do the whole buying household supplies online thing, I'm no longer a regular book/DVD buyer (went minimalist-ish and mustachian-like) , so the free 2-day shipping isn't of much use anymore, and the free content on Amazon prime is nothing special and I barely use it. I'll try to make more use of it this year but will cancel when this year is over.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2015, 09:06:11 PM »
For me, no, it's not. It just auto renewed so I guess I am stuck with it. We don't do the whole buying household supplies online thing, I'm no longer a regular book/DVD buyer (went minimalist-ish and mustachian-like) , so the free 2-day shipping isn't of much use anymore, and the free content on Amazon prime is nothing special and I barely use it. I'll try to make more use of it this year but will cancel when this year is over.

Contact Amazon and request to cancel. I'd be surprised if they didn't refund the unused balance - their customer service is nothing short of phenomenal.

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2015, 01:58:16 AM »
Depends on what you use it for.

Two city-dwellers in a pedestrian-based neighborhood with no car. Anything heavier than 20lbs (a typical grocery load for me) or larger to carry than two big grocery bags (hello, 48 rolls of TP) is very difficult to carry on transit or from even the closest of stores.

I'm in the same situation, but although I have Amazon Prime because it came free with my phone (Fire Phone; pretty good deal), I can't say I've gotten much use out of it. Costco and Target both have better prices; if I need heavy stuff from Costco I just go over there with a bicycle trailer.

Here, Google Express also delivers things from Costco, so I would probably pick that over Amazon prime if I was going to pay for one.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2015, 02:39:24 PM »
started using it for Amazon music streaming. thanks whoever mentioned it upthread.

Teacherstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2015, 06:55:11 PM »
We are letting ours lapse after it runs out in December. It is taking things longer to get here. Rarely two days anymore. Also, we are striving to spend less and just have less in general, so not having Amazon Prime will help with that mindset. We also never use the music and video services.

If we do want to buy something from Amazon, we will just wait until we have $35 worth to get shipping free, by just adding things to our wish list. Or, we will use subscribe and save (you don't have to have Prime to use this service). We don't order that much from Subscribe and Save, so we have it set up to send us our things quarterly. We are saving 15% this way instead of just having a couple of things per month. Even if we occasionally have to pay for shipping, there is no way it will reach $100. We just don't buy that much stuff any more.

Altons Bobs

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2015, 05:47:41 PM »
I love Amazon Prime!  I thought I could do without it so I canceled last year, and then a couple of months later, I signed back up.  The Prime Video is there when I want to watch it, but I mainly use it for the stuff that I can get there cheaper than anywhere else or stuff that I can only find at Amazon.  And their customer service is excellent.  I will always have Amazon Prime.

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2015, 07:43:53 PM »
I always have auto-renew OFF and hope there is some deal to renew before I need to re-up. I have a ton of Amazon gift cards from Southwest Airlines credit cards and have money to spend. I don't care much about the movies.