Author Topic: Amazon Prime Day Today. What to buy??  (Read 22648 times)

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
Amazon Prime Day Today. What to buy??
« on: July 15, 2015, 04:04:49 AM »
Today, 7/15, is Amazon's much anticipated, Prime day.
They have been advertising it as bigger that Black Friday.
What deals have you scoped out so far/ what looks like the best bet today?

The free credits for buying gift cards was one of the biggest no brainers I have seen so far.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
Re: Amazon Prime Day Today. What to buy??
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 05:37:37 AM »
Unless they have some really good deals on baby stuff or furniture I'm not planning on buying anything.  I'm still working on purging 100 items from home.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 05:54:23 AM »
So you have to have Prime to get deals? What are the free credits for buying gift cards? It says "$10 in promo credits" but doesn't say what you can use those credits for.

I'm leaning towards not buying anything. There's probably nothing I need there. But the gift cards could come in handy if they are discounted enough.

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 05:55:41 AM »
Well, if you don't need it, its still a waste of money no matter how cheap it is. I guess if I had amazon prime, I would go through the list of staple things I buy and see if they had any of them at a better than usual price. Things like soap, rice, toilet paper, etc.

Mikila

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 06:00:44 AM »
I checked to see if the fancy soap I buy was on sale, only to discover it is for Prime members only.  I suppose Amazon is trying to incentivize people to sign up for Prime.  I am not buying.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 06:07:29 AM »
Well, if you don't need it, its still a waste of money no matter how cheap it is. I guess if I had amazon prime, I would go through the list of staple things I buy and see if they had any of them at a better than usual price. Things like soap, rice, toilet paper, etc.
Exactly.

OP, you're asking the wrong question. You should be asking yourself do I need to buy anything? And then go on Amazon and a whole bunch of other websites and comparison shop.

Asking the question of Oh Amazon has a sale today, what should I get? is an easy way to end up buying useless (to you) shit..

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 06:11:47 AM »
Amazon has a free prime trial for 30 days.  Well it is for a year but you can cancel without penalty within 30 days.

I actually have Prime and use it for a lot of things, movies, tv shows, free 2 day shipping (they have a grocery section), etc. 

I did a cost analysis last year and found I did save money on AMazon stuff vs how much Prime costs, however I don't think that will be the case this year.

superone!

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 06:40:24 AM »
Personally, I was really disappointed they didn't wait until a date that was made up of prime numbers to run this marketing scheme. I mean, I know 2015 isn't going to work, but they could have waited until 7/17 at least. Feels like a wasted marketing opportunity.

In terms of what to buy? I'll look for staples (since I already have Prime) but I don't have any larger purchases that I've been strongly considering for a while, which means anything other than staples would likely be an impulse buy.

Mikhial

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 06:41:33 AM »
I did the gift card deal. I've passed up similar offers before because I didn't need anything at the moment, but I always end up needing something eventually from Amazon. You can always use more hygiene and household items.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 06:49:54 AM »
Nothing.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 06:56:00 AM »
What is the gift card deal?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 07:00:00 AM »
I don't need anything. So I won't be buying anything.

Mikhial

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 07:00:34 AM »
If you buy a gift card pack you get $10 off any purchase stocked by Amazon that's good until the end of August. The lowest pack is 3 gift cards at $15 each. So buy $45 in gift cards and get another $10 in credit.

SuperSecretName

• Bristles

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 07:34:58 AM »
Just looked over my amazon "wish list" nothing was so insanely cheap I had to have it right now.  I did order two new running tank-tops, not exactly high dollar/large savings...

Looked at a few other things that I will probably buy in the next few months, nothing moved me to buy early.  YMMV.

As always you are not saving money if you are buying things you would not normally buy. 

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 07:40:13 AM »
I have been wanting a kindle fire lately. I have been looking the last few weeks but haven't been able to justify pulling the trigger.

This morning they had a deal, $99 for a 16gb kindle fire HD 7. The same kindle was the $159 msrp when I looked at it a week or two ago.

I ordered it. Seems worth it. I've been reading books at work on my phone lately and it gets a bit old.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 07:41:49 AM »
If you buy a gift card pack you get $10 off any purchase stocked by Amazon that's good until the end of August. The lowest pack is 3 gift cards at $15 each. So buy $45 in gift cards and get another $10 in credit.

that is not too bad.  I give Amazon gift cards for Xmas gifts.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 07:45:25 AM »
Personally, I was really disappointed they didn't wait until a date that was made up of prime numbers to run this marketing scheme. I mean, I know 2015 isn't going to work, but they could have waited until 7/17 at least. Feels like a wasted marketing opportunity.

THANK YOU

I was all like, it must be like pi day and was trying to figure out date combinations that would work and my friends were like, um, no.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 07:50:20 AM »
Ugh, I hate "sales" and "coupons".

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 07:51:32 AM »
Looks like there's nothing worth buying. I'll stick with
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/no-buy-july/

THANK YOU

I was all like, it must be like pi day and was trying to figure out date combinations that would work and my friends were like, um, no.

Me too!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 08:02:17 AM »

Interestingly, it's currently saying all the $15 three packs are "currently unavailable."

dantownehall

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 08:07:59 AM »

Interestingly, it's currently saying all the $15 three packs are "currently unavailable."

That's odd, I was able to get mine this morning, and realize my instantaneous, risk-free 22.2% return.  No-brainer.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 08:33:11 AM »
Anyone remember the American TV Show "You Can't Do That On Television"?  I remember one bit where the mom filled the kitchen with jello pudding and said it was on sale, "For every 2,000 you buy, you get an additional 1,000 free!"

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 09:11:26 AM »

That's odd, I was able to get mine this morning, and realize my instantaneous, risk-free 22.2% return.  No-brainer.
They "sold out". I was looking at them this morning, but held off buying because of a package delivery issue I'm having at the moment; when I looked again, they were "unavailable". Looks like each individual card type in each amount is capped at some number of sales (the generic cards were already unavailable when I first looked, I was going to get the xmas ones instead).

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 09:16:59 AM »

In terms of what to buy? I'll look for staples (since I already have Prime) but I don't have any larger purchases that I've been strongly considering for a while, which means anything other than staples would likely be an impulse buy.

July 17th wouldn't be the 20th anniversary of the first item sold on Amazon.com. :)

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 09:19:37 AM »
I got tempted for the $15 Polo button ups. Would have been nice to get some new work shirts.

GreenPen

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 11:13:53 AM »

Agreed!

Sandhills

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 11:26:55 AM »
I have a Kindle Unlimited account at $9.99/month and enjoy it. Amazon Prime Day posted a deal on Kindle Unlimited so I signed up for two years at a 40% savings. That's all for me!

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 11:38:45 AM »

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 11:41:38 AM »
I have a Kindle Unlimited account at $9.99/month and enjoy it. Amazon Prime Day posted a deal on Kindle Unlimited so I signed up for two years at a 40% savings. That's all for me!

How's your experience with this? I've been eyeing it, but been making do with trying to read down my bookshelf first.

Rein1987

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2015, 11:43:11 AM »
Just the gift card deal. My husband always wants to buy a new shaver and waits for the prime day, but seems not on sale...
I was thinking of some game consoles and games, but not on sale either.

Sandhills

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2015, 11:46:23 AM »
Some of the Kindle Unlimited books are quite fine; many are middling, some unreadable. I just read a lot and so far have always found something that entertains me. It works for me, though I understand others might disagree.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian

oldmannickels

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2015, 11:57:14 AM »
I have a friend that has an amazon store and said amazon is eating all these discounts and he's still getting the same profit despite the discounts. Kind of interesting.

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2015, 12:31:30 PM »

The mathematician in me loves this! 
Not a member, don't need anything if I were. 

MustardTiger

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2015, 05:21:45 PM »
Mostly, the deals sucked.  Actually my wife wanted the amazon tablet that was on sale for 79$ but we were too late, for the best probably.  The only thing I did buy was the gift cards for the free 10$.

dudde_devaru

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2015, 05:37:02 PM »
#PrimeFail. Ordered the $10 4piece sheets and one hair dryer for $8.5. Apart from that everything sucked. I had high hopes on TV's for buy-Craigslist_resell! Couldn't grab even a single one! Even with two PC's with prime on!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2015, 04:44:48 AM »

THANK YOU

+1

And my son was born on a prime day (day, month, and year all prime numbers) - so this thing w/ Amazon was bugging me. Its not a prime day!!!!

galaxie

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2015, 06:52:38 AM »
What to buy?  Um, nothing?

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2015, 11:06:46 AM »
I was disappointed that there was nothing special in the way of deals for Kindle books. Most of the daily sales seem to be genre fiction (nothing wrong with that, I just get that from the library because it goes so fast) but I have gotten some great deals on cookbooks, history books, long novels etc on Black Friday or other specials. I suppose since Prime is a shipping benefit there wasn't much point to sales on digital items.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2015, 01:55:11 PM »
I signed up for Prime and then got in on the baby wipes deal... LOL

BTW Mustachians, what is your take on Prime? Is it a Mustachian membership to have? We do have Costco but frequent it quite a bit. I can't say the same for Amazon... although, I suppose we could start doing all our household good shopping there instead of running around to Target, CVS, Rite Aid, etc (though, we live in an area saturated with those stores too). Not sure if Prime is the best investment for us... at least I have 30 days to cancel :D

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2015, 02:50:22 PM »
I think it really depends on what you buy with it. Last year it was worth it for us, but this year I'm not sure.  We do watch movies on Amazon but we watch Netflix more.

I've used it to to buy baby stuff (crib, diapers, etc) and a year supply of toilet paper so far.   We live in a pretty rural area so the nearest costcos/bjs is about 20 miles away.  I usually choose the delayed shipping so we get $1 off a movie, if we watch something non-Prime.

I tried Kindle Unlimited and just didn't like a lot of the books that were available on there.  I still use the Kindle lending library (1 free book a month), but I buy most of my books used and then resell them after I am done or I circulate them among my friends.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2015, 10:15:12 AM »
I got:
-the 3 $25 gift cards for the $10 credit
-running shoes
-vitamins

I also ordered for a deployed soldier overseas, Amazon Prime ships free to APO/FPO addresses (I adopt through SoldiersAngels) :
- baby wipes
- soap
- beef jerky
- pretzels

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2015, 10:36:09 PM »
Made a point of buying nothing and cutting about 45 things from my bloated wish lists, total value at least $1500.

I noticed there was a one-off deal (used) on an espresso machine I've been watching, so I bought it the next day for $550 and expect to clear at least $150 on the resale.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2015, 03:50:27 AM »
I was unimpressed by the sale and saved 100% on all my non purchases.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2015, 10:55:18 AM »
We got a $5 credit since we bought something (which we would have bought anyways).

So, thanks Amazon!

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2015, 11:06:20 AM »
I was all revved up for Prime Day... but ended up largely disappointed.

I saw my catfood brand was going to be on sale and waited for that deal... but the "sale" was only the same price as the local Pet Store's non-sale price. So that was no good.

Then I saw I could get a $20 credit if I bought $100 on my Amazon Visa card - but only for actual Amazon.com items. My husband and I scrounged around, but couldn't actually come up with $100 of stuff that we wanted - because often Marketplace/used items were 20% or more cheaper than buying new from Amazon, but didn't qualify, even if fulfilled by Amazon.

While I was looking for things to buy, I ended up deleting half of my Wish List, because I decided those things weren't worth buying.

Then, while looking at a video game, I saw it had a trade-in value and decided to see if any of my old Nintendo DS games were worth anything. So I ended up packing up several DS games for trade in.

That was my exciting Prime Day. :p

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2015, 10:54:21 AM »
I was all revved up for Prime Day... but ended up largely disappointed.

I saw my catfood brand was going to be on sale and waited for that deal... but the "sale" was only the same price as the local Pet Store's non-sale price. So that was no good.

Then I saw I could get a $20 credit if I bought $100 on my Amazon Visa card - but only for actual Amazon.com items. My husband and I scrounged around, but couldn't actually come up with $100 of stuff that we wanted - because often Marketplace/used items were 20% or more cheaper than buying new from Amazon, but didn't qualify, even if fulfilled by Amazon.

While I was looking for things to buy, I ended up deleting half of my Wish List, because I decided those things weren't worth buying.

Then, while looking at a video game, I saw it had a trade-in value and decided to see if any of my old Nintendo DS games were worth anything. So I ended up packing up several DS games for trade in.

That was my exciting Prime Day.
Hahaha making money from Amazon on Prime day. I think you win!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!