Author Topic: Amazon Credit Card  (Read 6855 times)

Farmer123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Amazon Credit Card
« on: January 11, 2017, 08:25:18 AM »
Looks like amazon just released a new credit card with some pretty good perks.
I already have the chase sapphire so this might be a good combination. I already buy a lot of things on Amazon anyway so 5% back, no annual fee, and the other perks are pretty good.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2017/01/11/latest-amazon-prime-perk-5-awards-back-credit-card/96436364/

Any thoughts?

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
Re: Amazon Credit Card
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 08:58:49 AM »
There is already an amazon store card that gives you 5% back on purchases, and there are better cards for gas and groceries.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 09:00:14 AM »
Our card just got upgraded today. Woo 5%.

Between this and our 6% on groceries from AmEx, we're rolling in rebates!

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 09:57:10 AM »
It is nice timing, since the Sallie Mae stops paying 5% at Amazon 1/31/2017. I don't currently have Prime, but I might consider upgrading to it. Though to make the extra 2% "worth it" to pay the $100 fee, you need to spend $5000 ;)

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 10:13:55 AM »
Free shipping eclipses the $100 membership fee pretty quickly if you order several things a year.

I have an Amazon credit card as well, the already-existing one someone already posted about. So I get the 5% rebate. It's just gravy, since often Amazon has the cheapest price on what I want anyway. So I would say an Amazon credit card makes sense if you order from there a bunch and you're a good candidate for Prime.

Nothlit

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 10:20:44 AM »
The press release indicates existing Amazon Rewards Visa cardholders will be automatically upgraded to the new card, but I noticed I had to log into Amazon and re-verify my card number to enable the 5% rewards (under Manage Payment Options). Otherwise I was still only going to be earning 3%.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 10:40:56 AM »
Amex was offering (looks like through today) a 10% Amazon discount for the first 6 months if you sign up for their Blue Cash Everyday card. Plus some other perks...

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 11:06:26 AM »
Free shipping eclipses the $100 membership fee pretty quickly if you order several things a year.

Warning:  Amazon Prime can turn you into a hermit.

With prime, when we need something and my wife says "lets go to ________ and buy (whatever)" (usually while I'd doing something important like watching football), I just say "why bother, I can order it on Amazon for the same price, have it shipped to the door, save the gas money and prevent the aggravation of mixing with the teeming masses/screaming children at __________"

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 12:14:55 PM »

With prime, when we need something and my wife says "lets go to ________ and buy (whatever)" (usually while I'd doing something important like watching football), I just say "why bother, I can order it on Amazon for the same price, have it shipped to the door, save the gas money and prevent the aggravation of mixing with the teeming masses/screaming children at __________"

Warning? This sounds great! At this point, the only stores I really support are local mom and pop stores and the grocery stores.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 12:17:32 PM »
Free shipping eclipses the $100 membership fee pretty quickly if you order several things a year...

... if you usually pay for shipping. I haven't ever paid for shipping on Amazon, even when I don't have Prime. (I do tend to order a lot less often, and overall I'm pretty sure I order less.

RedwoodDreams

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 10:33:02 PM »
I just got one of these. Between the 15% discount on Subscribe and Save items, and this additional 5%, no trips to costco needed, and going full hermit now.

EJ of DadsDollarsandDebts

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 10:39:54 PM »
We have Prime and use it for deliveries and the Prime Video. Nice streaming service with shows, movies, etc. If you are going to watch tv its not a bad way to do it. Plus there is Prime Music for some free music.

Regarding the credit card, I saw this today and am tempted to get it. We spend a lot at Amazon and 5% sounds pretty nice. I already have the Costco card that gives me 5% back on purchases there. A note on the Amazon card is that it only gives you reward points that can be used at Amazon....a never ending cycle of spending.

-EJ @ Dads, Dollars, and Debts

MoonLiteNite

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 05:00:28 AM »
I actually just signed up for mine a few days ago.
Figured 3% on amazon is decent, and it gives me a decent 2% backup for gas while my rolling cards are not giving 5% for gas. I do not yet have a full time 3% gas card :/

Just got into the credit game last week, have gone from 1 card to 4....

Nothlit

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 06:36:57 AM »
A note on the Amazon card is that it only gives you reward points that can be used at Amazon....a never ending cycle of spending.

The points can be redeemed for statement credit, too. Which is actually slightly more optimal than applying to Amazon purchases, as any points applied to purchases reduce the amount of new points you will earn. :)

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 07:12:49 AM »
I actually just signed up for mine a few days ago.
Figured 3% on amazon is decent, and it gives me a decent 2% backup for gas while my rolling cards are not giving 5% for gas. I do not yet have a full time 3% gas card :/

Just got into the credit game last week, have gone from 1 card to 4....

Depending on your grocery spend, the Blue Cash Preferred is worth the $95 annual fee (6% groceries, 3% gas)

bdoubleu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 07:54:39 AM »
A note on the Amazon card is that it only gives you reward points that can be used at Amazon....a never ending cycle of spending.

The points can be redeemed for statement credit, too. Which is actually slightly more optimal than applying to Amazon purchases, as any points applied to purchases reduce the amount of new points you will earn. :)

We've always done cash back deposited in our checking or savings account. Is this option going away?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 08:25:26 AM »

I've always looked at applying your points to a purchase at Amazon as a trick for exactly this reason.
We always use them as a statement credit instead.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 08:36:24 AM »

x1000

It also saves you from making multiple trips to multiple stores for one-off random shit.  No brick-and-mortar store will sell camera lens filters, jigsaw blades, dog treats, and a kombucha starter under the same roof (especially the exact brand/model of each that I happen to want).

I only really ever go to the store these days for groceries, with the exception of one-off trips to Costco and Home Depot.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 08:53:54 AM »
Free shipping eclipses the $100 membership fee pretty quickly if you order several things a year...

... if you usually pay for shipping. I haven't ever paid for shipping on Amazon, even when I don't have Prime. (I do tend to order a lot less often, and overall I'm pretty sure I order less.

True enough. I suppose it depends on how you do your shopping and what kinds of things you buy. I buy enough things that are either big and heavy, or specialty items that I'm picky about, that if I tried to limit myself to items with free shipping without Prime, I wouldn't have the choices I wanted.

As others have posted, I'll often order commodities on there as well, to avoid the need to spend time going out for one thing, which takes said time and also often turns into three or four things once I'm at the store. I'm not a hermit, but there is something to the choice to avoid going out sometimes -- like the entire month of December when the stores are crazy and the same songs keep playing over and over. Bah, Humbug. Thank you Amazon Prime.

Plus, the music is great. So much music to play. Every day, another new album.

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 07:32:22 PM »
There is already an amazon store card that gives you 5% back on purchases, and there are better cards for gas and groceries.

Yeah, you should be getting a minimum of 2% back on everything already with cards like the Fidelity Visa and Citi Doublecash around, so you'd just use the Amazon card for Amazon. The Chase Amazon card is prettier than the store card though, so why wouldn't you go for the Chase version?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!