Author Topic: Am I Wrong: Craigslist Edition  (Read 8797 times)

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
Am I Wrong: Craigslist Edition
« on: August 24, 2015, 06:20:25 AM »
Am I Wrong:  Craigslist Edition.  Please judge me.

I responded to a CL ad for a kids bike, posted about a month ago.  The guy said it was still available but he moved out of the country and his BIL was handling it for him.  We emailed back and forth a few times, I said I was seriously interested and would like to purchase.  Eventually (week +) he gets me his BIL's contact info.

BIL and I talk on the phone and I ask to meet at a bike shop of BIL's choice to have them check out the bike.  I told the BIL that since it was a kid's bike I couldn't just ride it around the block and make sure the breaks worked and the gears shifted ok.  He picked a bike shop near his house and we met there.

The bike shop checked it out, said it needed a tune-up (dirty, cables need adjusted, not shifting super clean) but was overall in solid shape.  Said the chain needed replaced soon. 

I asked BIL if he would take 80$ since it needed a little work.  Original asking price was 100$.  BIL said yes, I take bike and go home.  I would have paid full price if he had said no. 

This morning I got an email from the original guy saying he couldn't believe I would make his BIL meet me at a bike shop, and I should have just bought it full price since we had emailed back and forth about it already, and he had other people in line but gave me priority.  It was a long, unhappy email. 

Was I wrong to do what I did?  I honestly can't see any fault on my end, which makes me think maybe I am missing something.  Or is this guy just another crazy person on CL?  Also, should I respond to his email or ignore?  I have never had a person get angry with me about a CL deal. 

LouLou

• Bristles
Re: Am I Wrong: Craigslist Edition
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 06:24:00 AM »
I would ignore, personally. This issue is between him and his BIL. His BIL handled it for him, and I guess it didn't like the way it was handled.  Not your problem!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 06:32:01 AM »
I would ignore, personally. This issue is between him and his BIL. His BIL handled it for him, and I guess it didn't like the way it was handled.  Not your problem!

+1

I don't see you doing anything wrong. They had a chance to say no to your conditions, nor did you do anything unreasonable IMO.

Definitely ignore! I'd hit the block/report spam button and walk away with clean conscience.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 06:38:42 AM »
Lol, that's a lack of communication between the seller and his BIL. He made a mistake. You're not wrong.

Relevant song http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bg1sT4ILG0w

GoldenStache

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 06:57:48 AM »
I think it would have been wrong if you offered him $20 after he met you at the bike shop.  $20 off is fair considering the tune up needed. 

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 07:18:06 AM »
I agree with everyone else. On a social or business level. I don't think you did anything wrong.     Im honestly surprised the guy wasted his time emailing you to complain about 20$.

The only way that situation could have possibly been wrong was if the kid himself came to sell you the bike ( that happen to me once, I didn't feel right not paying full asking price to an 8 year old for something)   or if his brother had some kind of mental disability. But yeah I think just another crazy on CL. 

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 07:21:19 AM »
Thanks guys.  I've never had a CL person angry with me before, and this threw me for a loop.

I did send the email to spam, so hopefully I won't hear from him again.

Now I am off to hide the bike in a friend's barn so DS does not find it before his birthday!  He is a sneaky little devil.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 08:34:55 AM »
I'd say plus one, but I think +1,000 might make you feel a little better. Also, the whole moved out of the country line doesn't pass the smell test to me. I truly hope the bike was his to sell.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 08:52:50 AM »
In light of the tune-up, I don't think it's a problem. He could have said no. But I prefer it when someone asks me if I would take less by e-mail or text. The BIL isn't very smart, because the fact that you showed up was a pretty dead give away that you will pay the full $100. But I guess it wasn't his money anyway. I have never had someone not pay the full price once they show. Once in a blue moon, I'll take less, but usually I refuse and they pay anyway.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 09:12:33 AM »
^^^ That's interesting to know. So the show up is more like a pick up? I'd have thought the other way around - how can you know for sure until you see the item in person? I didn't realize people would haggle about the price from the time they call you.

OP - the $20 off were reasonable. I think it was a smart move to have the bike shop evaluate the bike:)
It's crazy to send you a long e-mail after the deal is done. Block:)

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 09:14:48 AM »
I had something similar happen to me (other end). We had extra paver bricks left over, a lot left over. I estimated what it would cost new from home depot so the same volume also taking into account I'm sure some of the bricks on the bottom were broken, and discounted to about 60% of retail (a good deal!) I put up the ad, let my husband know the price. The guy shows up, he confirms on the phone the price.
When he shows up in person he asks for it for $40 (half off my price) because of broken ones on the bottom, and my husband agrees. when I got home I was pissed but then again it was our fault that we didn't discuss ahead of time.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 09:57:43 AM »
^^^ That's interesting to know. So the show up is more like a pick up? I'd have thought the other way around - how can you know for sure until you see the item in person? I didn't realize people would haggle about the price from the time they call you.

OP - the $20 off were reasonable. I think it was a smart move to have the bike shop evaluate the bike:)
It's crazy to send you a long e-mail after the deal is done. Block:)

Anyone who has sold much stuff on craigslist knows just getting someone to actually show up is 99% of the battle. Once they are there, its cake. Usually it takes 3 or 4 tries before you find someone willing to actually appear.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 10:02:48 AM »
I'd say plus one, but I think +1,000 might make you feel a little better. Also, the whole moved out of the country line doesn't pass the smell test to me. I truly hope the bike was his to sell.

The BIL had the original manual and tags, so I'm pretty sure it was legit. The seller had a French name and moved back to the EU according to the BIL.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 10:19:08 AM »
I really don't feel like a seller has the right to expect someone to haggle, nor not, in any particular way. I never make someone an offer before seeing an item in person.  I am the buyer so it would be to my deteriment to offer to buy anything before seeing it.  Haggling is part of selling on CL, unless the ad says price firm.  But I don't respond to those ads usually.

This happened to me once when I met up with the husband of a wife who was selling a dollhouse.   I arranged to "see" the house, not buy it.  It's not my problem if the wife expected me to buy it because I asked to look at it - I never made that committment.  Anyway, the house was overpriced and I offered less to the husband.  I had another house in mind as a back-up option, so I was fine with walking away (again, their expectations are not my problem).  But he accepted my offer and the wife sent me a scathing text later that night.  I told her: that she was incredibly out of line; to take it up with her husband; and to never contact me again.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 10:42:43 AM »

The BIL had the original manual and tags, so I'm pretty sure it was legit. The seller had a French name and moved back to the EU according to the BIL.
What I thought was most smelly was that he left the country and expected BIL to clean up after him and then had the nerve to be critical of either of you. Who cares that much about a twenty dollar difference from that far away?

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 11:12:19 AM »
I agree, when I arrange to see something on craigslist it is to see if their description is accurate. If it is, I am prepared to buy it but if not, I will negotiate. I expect others to do the same. I've had people show up and not buy my things too. It happens. One guy yelled at me because I told him to come later (already had an apt from the first responder) and then called and told him I sold it (full price offer). Whatever, that guy called first and paid full price.

If he isn't happy with the arrangement, he should have sold the bike himself. It's not your problem.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 11:26:51 AM »
I always ask for discounts prior to arranging a meetup, based on my feeling of value and the condition description. I've never arrived and had the item vary much from the description worth haggling down. I thought this was the way craigslist worked. If you think the item does not have the value stated or do not want to pay that much, bring this up in email or on the phone prior to meeting with your target price. Its called respect for others time.

I accurately describe my items. I LOATHE the people who waste my time to set up a time to buy it and then try to haggle down the price once they arrive. I coordinated my schedule to meet you to sell the item. Unless there is a valid reason that I didn't notice when I posted, I'm not lowering my price. If you agree to meet then you are happy with the price as is.

I've sold one vehicle on craigslist. This guy came and I let him test drive the car while I was in the backseat. He was looking for a "fun" vehicle for his retirement roadtrip. He drove around town for what seemed like forever and ran 2+ redlights while I thought we were going to get in an accident. Once we get back to where we met he goes on to offer 7k less than asking! Literally half the price I had listed. With no valid reason except he didn't want to spend that much, my price was out of his budget.... Was so annoyed I said no, there's no way we will ever have a reasonable number and left immediately. Extreme example but shows the same point.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 11:39:51 AM »
I always ask for discounts prior to arranging a meetup, based on my feeling of value and the condition description. I've never arrived and had the item vary much from the description worth haggling down. I thought this was the way craigslist worked. If you think the item does not have the value stated or do not want to pay that much, bring this up in email or on the phone prior to meeting with your target price. Its called respect for others time.

I completely disagree.  As a seller and a buyer, I would much rather haggle in person than online.  As a seller, getting someone to actually show up to see it is 95% of the sale and they are much more likely to pay full price if they show up.   As a buyer, most of the descriptions on CL are crap.  I am surprised at how many people seem to take haggling personally.  Get over it or don't bother selling stuff on CL.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 11:50:16 AM »

I completely disagree.  As a seller and a buyer, I would much rather haggle in person than online.  As a seller, getting someone to actually show up to see it is 95% of the sale and they are much more likely to pay full price if they show up.   As a buyer, most of the descriptions on CL are crap.  I am surprised at how many people seem to take haggling personally.  Get over it or don't bother selling stuff on CL.
Sing it, Sister Jezebel! Can I get an AMEN here? I hate it when people try to knock down the price before they've even seen the item. I always respond that I believe I've selected a fair price, but will be happy to discus it in person. Works very well. Those truly interested show up, and the tire kickers don't. And yeah, showing up does not constitute an offer to buy or a promise to sell.

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 04:33:26 PM »
What I thought was most smelly was that he left the country and expected BIL to clean up after him and then had the nerve to be critical of either of you. Who cares that much about a twenty dollar difference from that far away?

This!

No you did nothing wrong. don't reply to this guy, there is nothing to discuss, no good can come of defending yourself to some negative stranger in your email.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 07:06:40 PM »
You are not wrong. If he has a problem with the way the BIL handled it that's between the two of them.

I think your approach was a pretty good one and haggling due to the condition of the item just makes sense.

Pretty timely to me to read about CL etiquette. We wasted our time and someone else's going out to a house to look at a couch. I should have asked first if it was cat free as my husband is allergic. Didn't even occur to me. And we know from past experience that getting cat dander out of a couch is a non-starter.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 07:09:10 PM »

I accurately describe my items. I LOATHE the people who waste my time to set up a time to buy it and then try to haggle down the price once they arrive. I coordinated my schedule to meet you to sell the item. Unless there is a valid reason that I didn't notice when I posted, I'm not lowering my price. If you agree to meet then you are happy with the price as is.

I've sold one vehicle on craigslist. This guy came and I let him test drive the car while I was in the backseat. He was looking for a "fun" vehicle for his retirement roadtrip. He drove around town for what seemed like forever and ran 2+ redlights while I thought we were going to get in an accident. Once we get back to where we met he goes on to offer 7k less than asking! Literally half the price I had listed. With no valid reason except he didn't want to spend that much, my price was out of his budget.... Was so annoyed I said no, there's no way we will ever have a reasonable number and left immediately. Extreme example but shows the same point.

I totally understand your viewpoint but everyone I know (and myself) that deal on CL, in general, think the opposite way. No haggling until meet in person. That being said, I have probed negotiability (new word??) before seeing the item if it is unclear if the price is firm, if the item is way overpriced but I am interested in it, or if it is a good distance away and I don't want to waste my time (e.g. 6 hours round trip). But I try not to be douchy about it, like, what's your bottom dollar. I hate it when people ask me that - it's like bidding against myself (however I have caught myself using it so I am somewhat of a hypocrite).

fishnfool

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 07:32:19 PM »
Best laugh I've had all day..lol

You shouldn't feel bad at all!

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2015, 09:24:05 PM »
But I try not to be douchy about it, like, what's your bottom dollar. I hate it when people ask me that - it's like bidding against myself

+1.  If you're interested, and don't want to pay the list price, make an offer.

To the OP:  concur with previous responses.  No need to answer the email.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2015, 09:33:13 PM »
Don't let the Craigslist Crazies get you down! CL still rocks!

I'm in the same camp as jezebel. Why would I try to negotiate online sight unseen? A couple people have seemed quite torqued when I offered less in person, which honestly I don't understand except for the fact that Americans suck at negotiation and are uncomfortable with it. But, most sellers just say the price is firm or give it to me for what I offer or split the difference and counter.

When I'm selling, I never even respond to those "would you take less for it?" emails unless there are no other nibbles. But if someone shows up and says "hmmm this is smaller than I thought" or "Oh I thought the color was a little different from the picture" or whatever, sure I'll agree to a little discount if they ask.

If I have a gazillion emails of interest, then I'll pass on an in person offer if it is too low (I did that once selling a car), but otherwise please just give me some cash and haul this junk away!

LadyMaWhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2015, 09:59:53 PM »
Silliness. You are well within your rights to make an offer, and your offer is totally reasonable. There's no Blue Book for kids bikes, is there?

Craigslist is a great place to observe the gamut of human crazy. I gave away a working washer/dryer not too long ago and got lit into by someone who did not happen to be the "first served." He felt the quickness of his reply meant I was lying about someone else being first. And would that be because I hated his name? The free section is especially wild. I had a large family show up to collect a table and chairs in NYC. There were 3 generations present (perfectly reasonable for a large item) and the grandma just starts scooping up everything not nailed down and taking it out the door. Hey, worth a shot!

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2015, 03:03:08 AM »
I would almost give him the $20, because it sounds like he is in a tight spot or something. Isn't the Euro worth more,lol?

As far as haggle, makes more sense to do it in person to me. Unless it is way overpriced. Cars in my area are $3000 plus over the real price.

But if the person agreed to buy it and it's just a pick up that's different.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2015, 03:57:54 AM »
^Right?! What's this guy want, you to airmail him the 20 bucks?!

As for negotiating, I don't discuss anything until I see the actual product. Yeah I'm going to be able to tell you were a smoker, that there's a bubble in the tire and the car is going to need a brake job with 5 pics and a glowing description. Lol, get out of town!