Author Topic: Am I there yet? 18 Months Later.  (Read 16177 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Am I there yet? 18 Months Later.
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2017, 08:28:13 AM »
You missed my point with hitting 3.5% later. I wasn't talking about doing it through more paid work, but through time in the market.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2017, 02:44:51 AM »
As for why I want it up front, it's because it's a helluva lot easier to get it sorted now than it will be in two years when my skills are dated and I'm competing with every other schlub for dwindling jobs.

That said, I am actively looking for part-time and contract work in my field that would set the ol life:work ratio right. Gliding into RE as it were.  If that doesnt work out and megacorp does, I'll megacorps for 8 months. If neither work out I'll RE very soon and figure it out as I go.

I can relate to this. I thought about FIRing early (thread), but I'm glad I stuck it out a little longer. Ultimately, the optimal FIRE date is hard to set precisely within ± 6 months, so you make your best guess given all information at your disposal.

If you're 35, that's a long time not to be earning another penny... My guess is that in 2-3 years, you'll have enough of your side-projects and you'll find something else to do that will pay money. Not sure if you're in IT, where it's easy to snatch a contract here or there. The pay is lower than at mega-corp, but if your FIRE date is at least roughly in the right ballpark, it won't matter too much.

Also I'm surprised you get picky about not wanting to reduce your expenses too much in the event of a downturn. Is it because of hard constraints or just because you feel like giving yourself maximum luxury? You could do your costly "project" for 2-3 years then work a little to pad up your stash.

But again, I agree with your general approach. Patience is key.

Ricksun

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2017, 03:57:38 AM »
As for why I want it up front, it's because it's a helluva lot easier to get it sorted now than it will be in two years when my skills are dated and I'm competing with every other schlub for dwindling jobs.

That said, I am actively looking for part-time and contract work in my field that would set the ol life:work ratio right. Gliding into RE as it were.  If that doesnt work out and megacorp does, I'll megacorps for 8 months. If neither work out I'll RE very soon and figure it out as I go.

You've got enough to live your lifestyle.  Your using this as a reason because you're just not ready mentally it seems, which is just as good a reason in my opinion.  Dealing with the unknown is my biggest fear too.  In another 3 months it'll be another look at another financial methodology.  Like I said, nothing wrong with this in my opinion and I'm interested to see what happens next as I see myself having to go through this same scenario years from now.

Ricksun

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2017, 02:17:21 PM »
It's lame, but a chorus of "just quit already" actually makes it easier to step off the ledge.[/li][/list]

You are done. Just quit already! :)

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2017, 03:51:18 PM »
You need to listen to this, all the way through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orb8cGSqS-A

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!