Author Topic: Am I the only one who hates to travel?  (Read 39214 times)

meyla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Am I the only one who hates to travel?
« on: March 11, 2015, 07:50:17 AM »
It seems like traveling is a very FIRE-y thing to do. There are tons of posts about traveling tips on this forum. Maybe it's just that people who like to travel feel like early retirement is the only way to accomplish that goal, and so the vast majority of people who visit financial independence websites have that goal in mind. I get the impression that practically everyone who posts on this forum has the end goal of traveling many times per year, both inside and outside their country of residence. It sounds miserable to me.

I hate traveling. I wouldn't drive to the grocery store if I didn't have to. I have recently been "promoted" (AKA my boss quit) at work and now I have to travel about one week per month. I've been to Costa Rica and Toronto so far this year, with another trip to Toronto coming up next week. It makes me physically sick to think about it. I hate riding in the car to the airport. I hate going through security. I hate being on a cramped plane with a ton of people. I hate living out of a suitcase in a hotel, and eating out for every meal (often alone). I miss my fiance and my cats and my video games. I spend multiple nights of the week crying when I'm away from home. I feel like it's punishment.

So after all that whining and complaining, is it only me that feels that way? Am I the only one who wants to retire early so that I can STOP traveling and stay at home all the time? Has anyone considered quitting a job that's otherwise okay because of the travel requirements?

Lordy

• Stubble
Re: Am I the only one who hates to travel?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 08:01:01 AM »
What you are really saying, is that you are an introvert. Welcome to the club.

When I started a job that involved travel I was really looking forward to seeing new places but this has faded quickly.
This week I am not traveling and working from home which almost feels like time off in comparison to the crazy travel
I have done since this year started.

The beauty of FIRE is that nobody tells you what to do and where to be. For those who like to travel, great, go out and
see the world. If you prefer to be at home, enjoying your free time that's also a good choice. That is the real freedom.

PharmaStache

• Bristles
  • Peg City 'Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 08:04:23 AM »
I love to see new places, but I hate travelling to get to those places. 

Solution: go on longer trips, so that the airport/plane crap is kept to a minimum.

morning owl

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 08:08:40 AM »
There's a huge difference between work travel and leisure travel. I am an introvert and I find relaxed, slow paced travel helps me see my life in perspective. It gives me new ideas, forces me to evaluate things and see them fresh. I sometimes travel alone, sometimes with my DH, and usually really enjoy myself. And then when I come home, I'm always thankful to be home :)

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 08:18:07 AM »
Travel isn't really our thing either. We only travel to visit friends and family, eat and drink in another city, or to all-inclusives in Mexico. The long-term, meandering travel of many mustachians sounds terribly boring to me. I don't mind traveling for work though, it's a mental vacation; solitary time in transit, meals covered by the company, etc.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 08:18:54 AM »
I go stir crazy at home.

Your work travel and my idea of leisure slow travel are worlds apart.

I too hate some of the things you mentioned. With slow travel those flights are far and few between, you end up renting apartments, cooking local ingredients, doing things at your pace, often times away from the super touristy areas.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 09:21:21 AM »
I would hate traveling alone for work, too. I've only traveled for work once, and I convinced my sister to go with me, so we did fun Chicago things in between my work stuff.

Also, what you're describing isn't so much the travel but the transit. The transit part of travel really is the worst--I love the Viking River Cruise slogan "spend less time getting there, and more time being there." This is why I prefer planes over car trips, and fewer layovers (I'd rather spend an extra $100 or $200 to NOT have a layover), and why I like to cook at my destination when possible. My DH and I are good travel partners, which helps tremendously. Some people find that they don't enjoy traveling with their spouse, and find a buddy to go with instead.

What traveling looks like for me: spend as little time as possible getting to destination, rent an apartment for at least a full week (longer is better), go grocery shopping, and settle in like a local. Walk around a lot, look at architecture, maybe see one major 'sight' per day, spend time reading at cafes or parks, visit libraries or book stores (a tote bag from a book store makes a great souvenir, usually very cheap), take rest breaks as needed, cook simple meals 'at home,' eat out once per day, and most importantly, talk to people. My DH is much better at starting random conversations with locals than I am, so I let him take the lead on this, and it's always very interesting.

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 09:24:02 AM »
Pretty much everyone hates business travel. I travel for work 10 times a year, and yeah, it gets to be a grind. It's not fun to travel across the country, live out of my suitcase while lugging around my heavy laptop to do work, and not feel like I have any time to myself.

However, going on a trip on my own? Heaven. I get to explore places at my own pace, immerse myself in the local culture, and see things I otherwise would have never gotten to see. If I want to wake up and go for a hike one day, I do it. If I want to spend all day eating my way through a city, trying many different foods? I do it. I even somewhat enjoy flying-maybe because to me it symbolizes a new adventure, but going to the airport I always get that excited feeling in my stomach, not a feeling of dread. Sure airport security sucks, but it's a necessary part of the process to get to my next adventure.

However, not everyone has to love travelling! If you feel happiest at home, then so be it! I think that part of the point (the whole point?) of FIRE is to do whatever makes you happy. If you hate traveling, save enough money to quit that job that requires you to travel, and spend the rest of your days living a quiet peaceful existence. It's your life!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 09:59:28 AM »
I've never had to travel for work, but I can imagine it would get old and dreadful very quickly. What you have described does not sound like 'travel' to me, it sounds like work. I also do not like to leave the house to go shopping/etc. I try to do all my shopping and errands in one trip, and like another poster said, when it's not going to be crowded with people. And no one loves airports and layovers and cramped airplanes.

But I still LOVE traveling. Exploring new places and cultures and meeting new people who live in completely different worlds is amazing. If you are traveling on your own schedule, and not for work, you can do whatever you like to do. And if you like to stay home instead, that's cool too. :)

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 10:02:49 AM »
No. I hate flying, I don't like being in large groups of people, and I'm under no illusion that I'll actually find out more about a place by being there for a few days. I could see traveling to see some truly beautiful natural places, but it's not worth money to me currently.

k_to_the_v

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 10:12:42 AM »
I'm interested in travel, but in a different type of travel than is normally discussed here. I love to be outdoors and camp, and am interested in getting into backpacking (but am holding off; going to try to go on a trip or two this summer with borrowed equipment vs. making the big investment in all the stuff I would need to get into it). I have also considered buying a small place or just land a few hours North of where I live, on a non-motorized lake or a river, with direct access to national forest land. Most of the places I currently want to spend time are within a few hours of my home, and the rest of the places are within the U.S.

Right now, that type of vacation is exactly what i need to unwind and get out of the work mentality. I expect I will always enjoy that but my desires may expand or change a bit when I am retired and don't have the stress of working (and at least once monthly work travel) driving my decision making.

So, do I like to travel in the sense of long international vacations? No, it doesn't appeal to me NOW. The planning, the financial aspect, the time away from my dog, time away from my home that I love, silly things like that just stress me out. But I do like my own type of travel. And I expect my attitude about travel will change quite a bit once I'm retired or semi-retired. Or not...which is fine.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 10:17:19 AM »
My wife finds vacations fun.  I find them stressful.   For me it is the hassle and effort of the getting to and fro.

The business travel you speak of would be pretty dreadful.  The being alone in a strange hotel for a week at a time would get old.   Consider other positive activities you can do in the evenings ---  take cooking classes,  take guitar lessons,  take a dance class.   Even when I'm on vacation I hate just sitting around so I always find fun stuff to do.  I have played on pickup soccer leagues,  hiked,  attended Rotary meetings etc.

I would suggest joining a Rotary club might be fun for you.  Some of them have breakfast meetings and they are always welcoming to members from afar.   You can also see what the local churches have to offer in the evenings.   

Every place you visit will have something going on each evening of the week.  People love to meet new people for out of town and are generally very receptive and positive. 

http://www.torontoevents.com/index.php?com=detail&eID=20118

Universities often have interesting presentations in the evening as well.   

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 10:19:58 AM »
I'm with you. I went through a lot of trouble to make my life be the kind I want to live, and now I mostly want to stay around and live it. I dislike the actual act of traveling; air ports, getting to the air ports and am not particularly excited to see stuff. I do travel fairly often to visit friends and family though, but I don't enjoy traveling or tourism for its own sake though.

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 10:20:02 AM »
Nope, I get you.

I've traveled extensively.

There's something to be said for being happy where you are; this seems more Mustachian than always wanting to go somewhere else.

Why aren't you there NOW if you want to be there? Oh, because it's not the "going there" you want... it's the "not being where you are. Ever."

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 10:24:29 AM »
I don't love travel, either.  I hate driving.  Flying has gotten to be such a pain in the butt.  I'm almost surprised if the flight gets in on time.

I have bed bug paranoia, and don't love staying in hotels.  Most of my work travel is going to conferences, which I find stressful and exhausting.  I'd really rather stay home.

Vacation travel is a little less awful, but I still hate getting there.  We may do a little travel when we retire.  There are places I'd like to see, but I feel almost pressured to enjoy myself, which makes it less enjoyable, if that makes any sense.  I'm also not a budget travel person.  If I'm on vacation, I want some reasonable level of comfort.  I don't need five star hotels, but I do need a decent, clean hotel.  Camping is my idea of hell.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 10:25:46 AM »
Nope, I get you.

I've traveled extensively.

There's something to be said for being happy where you are; this seems more Mustachian than always wanting to go somewhere else.

Why aren't you there NOW if you want to be there? Oh, because it's not the "going there" you want... it's the "not being where you are. Ever."

I enjoy where I am too. I just like discovering new places as well.

Briarly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 10:38:23 AM »
I don't really like it either. or, at least, it's not relaxing or rejuvenating for me, anyway. I think I would enjoy it more if I didn't work full time. I am still figuring out how to decompress from work - what feels like a break for me. hiking trips are good... I've found that not having to plan meals is relaxing (with hiking, that's all done before you leave), and I need to get exercise every day.  managing a constant barrage of decisions and people in a new city is not fun or relaxing for me, though.   

I love my home and being at home, too, and miss it when I'm away. I hear a lot about ways to travel cheaply but it always feels like a huge money-sucker to me, too, and not worth it.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 10:40:23 AM »
I personally have some travel anxieties and traveling is so much better now that I did a bit of therapy and got a xanax prescription.  My personal experience is that if I'm anxious, the xanax just makes me feel normal and doesn't knock me out.  If I end up in a totally relaxed situation while it is still in my system, I will feel very groggy.  If I was traveling for work, there would be  enough mild anxiety to feel fine on the drug.  I'd suggest that if you hate work travel this much, to consider chatting w/ your doc and maybe a therapist about it.  It sounds like there could be some anxiety rooted in there that you don't even realize.  You might also find some coping skills that make it better like over-preparing.  Personally, on planes, I prefer an aisle seat fairly close to the bathroom.  I feel less claustrophobic that way.  I don't like having to make a long walk on a plan to "go."  I also hate having a middle or window seat and feeling trapped.  I still don't enjoy the transit portion of travel but I don't dread it as much as I used to and I overall find travel rather enjoyable now.  There is nothing wrong with not wanting to travel but if it is something you want to change, consider my tips.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 10:49:33 AM »
In the past, I've had to travel so much that it ceased being fun. (Military member, and then military wife.) Travel to visit family has always involved a lot of long-haul driving or flying, too. I live in a place I really enjoy, and have set up my house to be a  pleasant refuge--a place of comfort and creativity. So why always be spending a fortune, being tired and stressed, and risking bedbugs and Montezuma's revenge to be hauling all over the world? I mean, for what? At this point in my life, for the most part, I'd rather stay home. I don't have any pets at the moment, but plan to adopt an animal or two…and that would lessen my incentive to travel even more.

Having said that, there are a few places I like and plan to visit from time to time…both stateside and in western Europe…mostly for researching the series of novels I am writing. But that is authentic travel for a good reason, totally controlled by myself. I'm thinking that if the OP is having such a hard time with the mandatory work travel, maybe a change of jobs is in order. Life is too short to be that unhappy.

meyla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 11:30:43 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I feel a little better after hearing that a lot of you don't like business travel. The people that I work with who also travel often seem to think that it's the bee's knees... so I felt like I was the strange one in the group. Everyone was baffled that I didn't want to go to Costa Rica in January. "But it's going to be 85 degrees and sunny! It's such a beautiful country!" Well yeah, but I don't speak Spanish and I'll be working 10 hours each day... not really much time to appreciate it. I do also get terrible anxiety about the work itself, too, which probably has a lot to do with the disdain for the whole situation. My boss says he thinks I do a fantastic job, but I feel nauseous and faint-y when I have to go and give a talk. I'm younger than everyone in the industry and I feel like I haven't earned my place/respect.

My fiance and I planned a week long trip to NYC a few years ago. It was my first time on a plane, my first time being that far from home (Atlanta), and my first time going on a vacation that wasn't beach or mountains related. The first 2-3 days were good, but after that I wasn't happy and wanted to go home. I loved seeing the Lion King on broadway and I'll remember that forever, but I think it's a once-per-decade thing for me. It was too expensive and too much time away from home. Maybe minor adjustments to scheduling/planning/locations would make me like it more? I just don't think it's a hobby that's right for me.

I did see that there is a Lion Safari near the hotel where I'll be staying next week. I don't know if the cats will be out but if they are, I might try to plan time to stop by.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 11:38:46 AM »
It seems like traveling is a very FIRE-y thing to do. There are tons of posts about traveling tips on this forum. Maybe it's just that people who like to travel feel like early retirement is the only way to accomplish that goal, and so the vast majority of people who visit financial independence websites have that goal in mind. I get the impression that practically everyone who posts on this forum has the end goal of traveling many times per year, both inside and outside their country of residence. It sounds miserable to me.

I hate traveling. I wouldn't drive to the grocery store if I didn't have to. I have recently been "promoted" (AKA my boss quit) at work and now I have to travel about one week per month. I've been to Costa Rica and Toronto so far this year, with another trip to Toronto coming up next week. It makes me physically sick to think about it. I hate riding in the car to the airport. I hate going through security. I hate being on a cramped plane with a ton of people. I hate living out of a suitcase in a hotel, and eating out for every meal (often alone). I miss my fiance and my cats and my video games. I spend multiple nights of the week crying when I'm away from home. I feel like it's punishment.

So after all that whining and complaining, is it only me that feels that way? Am I the only one who wants to retire early so that I can STOP traveling and stay at home all the time? Has anyone considered quitting a job that's otherwise okay because of the travel requirements?
You sound like an introvert.  I am on the cusp of both intro and extrovert.  I like experiencing new things (via travel), but the act of traveling is not particularly fun for me.  Before I had kids, vacation travel was the only way I "got away" from work stress, so I would visibly relax as soon as the plane took off.

After kids though, it's not relaxing, it's incredibly stressful.  I still travel - every 2 years to visit family on the opposite coast, and 1-2x a year with the family.  But we try to keep it close and simple.  We are doing more and more staycations.

Our next trip is a 4-5 hour drive away.  2 nights camping and 2 nights at a resort with a pool.  So the camping is relaxing to me because it's quiet.  Lots of stars at night, not much to do.  We enjoy the outdoors, go for hikes.  EVERYTHING takes a long time. Have to start a fire before you can boil the water so that you can make coffee and oatmeal for breakfast.  Then you have to boil more water to wash the dishes.  No dishwasher, nothing easy, but it's relaxing.  (Of course, it's a lot of work to pack up the car and the kids, and we have to CONSTANTLY keep an eye on the toddler.)

I totally get where you are coming from.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 11:51:02 AM »
There's a huge difference between work travel and leisure travel. I am an introvert and I find relaxed, slow paced travel helps me see my life in perspective. It gives me new ideas, forces me to evaluate things and see them fresh. I sometimes travel alone, sometimes with my DH, and usually really enjoy myself. And then when I come home, I'm always thankful to be home :)

Exactly.  I'm an introvert, too, but I LOVE to travel.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 11:59:11 AM »
I don't get the whole traveling thing either. Why do people want to "see" things? Like... what is there to see really?

The only reason I travel is to be with people I like.

I've been in the bay area for 4 years and people are always shocked when I tell them I haven't seen the golden gate bridge and have been to SF twice... why the shock? It's a bridge. There are lots of bridges.

People always say "you have to see BLAH". No, I really don't. Go see the old buildings in Europe! Really? Old buildings? What's the so entertaining about that? "Oh, you just HAVE to see how white the sand is at blah beach" Right... the whiteness is truly mesmerizing.

I guess I'm more against being a tourist than traveling. I also hate getting there. In the end, I'm going to want to be around friends, drinking and having fun... the where isn't important at all.

EDIT: I also don't understand why Americans leave America to travel. I'm not American, but every possible type of climate and geology is here. Beaches, mountains, cold, hot, oceans, desert, canyons, lakes, etc. So... even IF you wanted to "see" things, why go to a crappy country to see it? I really don't get it at all.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 12:02:04 PM by dividendman »

Lookilu

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 12:25:50 PM »
+1
The people I've worked who really enjoyed business travel had dreadful home lives. If your home life is a good one, I think it's natural to resent having to spend time away from that.
Enforced travel is something I've never enjoyed, but a leisurely trip with my sweetie? Sign me up!

SK Joyous

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 12:28:28 PM »
I don't get the whole traveling thing either. Why do people want to "see" things? Like... what is there to see really?

I've been in the bay area for 4 years and people are always shocked when I tell them I haven't seen the golden gate bridge and have been to SF twice... why the shock? It's a bridge. There are lots of bridges.

People always say "you have to see BLAH". No, I really don't. Go see the old buildings in Europe! Really? Old buildings? What's the so entertaining about that? "Oh, you just HAVE to see how white the sand is at blah beach" Right... the whiteness is truly mesmerizing.

I guess I'm more against being a tourist than traveling. I also hate getting there. In the end, I'm going to want to be around friends, drinking and having fun... the where isn't important at all.

EDIT: I also don't understand why Americans leave America to travel. I'm not American, but every possible type of climate and geology is here. Beaches, mountains, cold, hot, oceans, desert, canyons, lakes, etc. So... even IF you wanted to "see" things, why go to a crappy country to see it? I really don't get it at all.

While I enjoy travelling to the U.S. and agree that there is a lot to see there, there is also a LOT outside of the United States - it is not the be-all and end-all of the whole world :)

Standing on the Colosseum floor and walking through the Roman Forum, seeing what a civilization from two thousand years ago left behind and what is still standing (the civilization that was the basis for many of our systems today); seeing in person paintings and sculptures, because pictures absolutely do not do them justice (a Bernini statue is so amazing in person, and my pictures of it just dont't - can't - do it justice); standing at the top of the Eiffel tower and looking out over Paris has a magic that can't really be explained; walking through Venice (and the blessed absence of vehicles of any kind) and reflecting on what a major economic power it was, and how quickly that changed - and realizing that economies and economic powers may be fleeting... there's more, but those are some goodies :)

I too don't like work travel.  People who think work travel must be great generally aren't ones who do it.  I do know some people that enjoy it but they tend to be single and unattached and don't particularly enjoy their homes (there are always exceptions of course, but this is an anecdotal observance).

OP, I'm sorry to hear that it is so hard that it often leaves you in tears!  I agree with previous posts that you should find something or anything to do so that it isn't that distressing for you (fill your evenings if you like to be around people, or find ways to make your solitary time more restful and relaxing), or perhaps you do have to look at reducing your travel by either setting boundaries with your employer or looking for different employment.  I agree with whoever said life is too short to be that miserable!

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 12:51:21 PM »

Uhh, maybe because we want to see and experience different life and cultures because of genuine interest and curiosity? It's not about climate or geology for me (I have literally never cared about geology and climate is low on my priorities... I live in freakin' Minnesota).

It's fine that you don't "get it," but I find this comment particularly hilarious.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2015, 01:08:34 PM »
Many like to travel to other countries to learn new things, expand horizons, and use that knowledge going forward. I also don't enjoy random travel to 'see the sights' or say 'I've been to Paris!'.

Best trips have been visiting places that interest me to learn new things...but it's exhausting for me and travel is something I generally don't enjoy.

Some of us are happy being homebodies, and the slow-travel the world plans that many have are definitely not for everyone. That's the beauty of FI - choose what works for you :)

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2015, 01:08:58 PM »

My husband agrees with this.  I asked him about going to Europe.  He told me that when we had seen everything in this country USA, that there was to see, then we could talk about going somewhere else.  So probably not going to happen for me.  But that's okay, this year it will be southern Utah.  Next year.. who knows , maybe Alaska

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2015, 01:13:16 PM »
Reminds me of an old friend in upstate New York whose wife went to Europe with friends from time to time. But Jerry refused, and had never been out of the U.S. When people asked why he didn't want to go to Europe--especially Italy, where the grandparents were from, he always said, "Aw, those places are no good. That's why they all came over here."

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2015, 01:17:14 PM »
What traveling looks like for me: spend as little time as possible getting to destination, rent an apartment for at least a full week (longer is better), go grocery shopping, and settle in like a local. Walk around a lot, look at architecture, maybe see one major 'sight' per day, spend time reading at cafes or parks, visit libraries or book stores (a tote bag from a book store makes a great souvenir, usually very cheap), take rest breaks as needed, cook simple meals 'at home,' eat out once per day, and most importantly, talk to people. My DH is much better at starting random conversations with locals than I am, so I let him take the lead on this, and it's always very interesting.

This just seems incredibly silly to me. I go grocery shopping, walk around, look at stuff, cook, and eat out at home. I talk to friends in the area. When I'm not at work I like to play video games at home or go to quiet places and read or listen to music, again, near home. There's no need to be away for these experiences. I have no interest in seeing "sights", nor in speaking with strangers for any period of time. When I travel I want to stay in a nice place, eat and drink at local restaurants, and generally relax with my wife.

Ironically, I don't mind driving or flying places. The experiences driving and flying are always different, great for people-watching, and allow me to be alone in a crowd, a feeling I personally love. But I don't need to leave my surrounding area to get this feeling. Maybe I'm dead inside?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 01:23:24 PM by Philociraptor »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2015, 01:21:50 PM »

It's a good thing some people have curiosity and exploratory drive - imagine of everyone in science/etc was perfectly content with what they already knew!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2015, 01:24:20 PM »

Uhh, maybe because we want to see and experience different life and cultures because of genuine interest and curiosity? It's not about climate or geology for me (I have literally never cared about geology and climate is low on my priorities... I live in freakin' Minnesota).

It's fine that you don't "get it," but I find this comment particularly hilarious.

Not to mention architecture, history…

And to become a better thinker.  It is literally impossible to obtain the kind of broader world perspective that travel with a spirit of openness toward other peoples and cultures can give you, without actually traveling.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2015, 01:26:01 PM »
If you have family ties to a place, even if it goes back a couple of generations, it can feel "homey" to spend some time in that area. England is a family place for us because we still have living relatives there to stay with and visit. But Ireland surprised us--we have an Irish heritage, but no relatives living there who we could go and visit. But my mother, brothers, and myself have all found the same thing when we go there--we feel very much at home, and like to plunk ourselves down and stay for a while. YMMV.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
I'm not a big fan of travelling and am also right on the cusp between introvert and extravert.  Last summer, we took our first road trip with the kids -- a whole 6 hours away from home. I was discombobulated the whole time, verging on depressed some days. I really didn't enjoy it at all, although I did find some joy in watching the kids enjoy themselves :-/ The whole thing was pretty stressful for me.

I have been to my parents vacation home in a tropical locale many times since my teen years, and have also taken my kids there. I really enjoy going there, but probably because it feels like a second home.

I like the IDEA of international travel and seeing some of the wonderful sights like SK Joyous mentioned up thread,  but I don't think its in the cards for me.

Edit: typo

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2015, 02:00:44 PM »
I'm a full-on extrovert, and I like to travel to see PEOPLE, but not to see places. And actually, I would prefer if all my people were in the same place so that I wouldn't have to travel very far ;)

I see my lack of travel-bug-joy as a good thing, because it will save me lots of money!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2015, 02:03:54 PM »
I'm a full-on extrovert, and I like to travel to see PEOPLE, but not to see places. And actually, I would prefer if all my people were in the same place so that I wouldn't have to travel very far ;)

I see my lack of travel-bug-joy as a good thing, because it will save me lots of money!

Lol -- that's for sure true!  Though I think in my case, the fact that I love to travel has kind of had the effect that I have not wanted to accumulate a big house, fancy car, tons of stuff, etc. because I would prefer to spend my dispensable income on going places.

EfficientN

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2015, 02:08:26 PM »
Does anyone else dislike traveling, not because of introversion, but because they enjoy having a home base to return to? Maybe it's the emotional safety of a routine, the routine within a physical space. Also, changes in what's acceptable manners/behavior drives me nuts. Silly things, like how people around the world great one another, or hold conversations. That bit is entirely my fault, but that instinctual negative reaction colors a lot of my traveling.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2015, 02:13:25 PM »

Lol -- that's for sure true!  Though I think in my case, the fact that I love to travel has kind of had the effect that I have not wanted to accumulate a big house, fancy car, tons of stuff, etc. because I would prefer to spend my dispensable income on going places.

This is absolutely true for me too Kris. As much as I'm trying to declutter now, I still have a lot less stuff to begin with than the majority, since I'd rather spend on travel experiences. Most of the stuff I have now has only been acquired in the last few years since I stopped traveling as much, and it's all stored in a small house, half of which is rented out. Going to cut back on the travel for a couple years though, just to save more, FIRE faster, sell everything, then go explore the world.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2015, 02:17:01 PM »
I'm a total minimalist, but not because I want to travel. It's because I want my home to be my sanctuary. I want it to feel like a fancy hotel room, in a way.

I'm a huuuuuuge fan of staycations, and will soon be implementing themed staycations! We will go to "Japan" (sushi, karaoke bar, and a Japanese film) and "Hawaii" (Hawaiian shirts, pineapple, spam, sushi, and sauna, possibly a show like Hawaii five-0) ... You get the idea. All of the fun, none of the travel!

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2015, 02:19:28 PM »
I like to travel once I get there but getting there can be quite stressful.  Due to work schedules and limited time off, there does not tend to be a lot of room for error with reservations and potential travel delays.  I can't wait until I have the time to build in an appropriate buffer.   I also remind myself that there are not many travel problems that can't be solved with a credit card and give myself permission to use it if need be to get out of a jam.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2015, 02:23:28 PM »
I travel for work and have travelled the world and been an expat.  I'd rather stay home. 

I find airports tolerable but not in any way exciting except for watching families and friends reunite at the arrivals lounge.

I only travel for fun if it is because I know the people I love would love it and that makes me happy. 

Same with languages.  I've learned several.  I'd rather just speak English and have no communication barrier.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2015, 02:24:21 PM »
I'm a total minimalist, but not because I want to travel. It's because I want my home to be my sanctuary. I want it to feel like a fancy hotel room, in a way.

I'm a huuuuuuge fan of staycations, and will soon be implementing themed staycations! We will go to "Japan" (sushi, karaoke bar, and a Japanese film) and "Hawaii" (Hawaiian shirts, pineapple, spam, sushi, and sauna, possibly a show like Hawaii five-0) ... You get the idea. All of the fun, none of the travel!

Now that sounds fun :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2015, 02:35:23 PM »

Now that sounds fun :)

More staycation tips:

-suuuuper clean your house, or stay at a local bed and breakfast
-turn off your phone while you're on "vacation"
-only go places in your city that you have never been before
-mentally spend the money you would've spent on travel! Woohoo! (Or save, whatever...)

When we lived in Montreal, we went to "FUNtreal". Play around with your home city's name so that you can label your exotic new locale ;)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2015, 02:39:59 PM »

Same with languages.  I've learned several.  I'd rather just speak English and have no communication barrier.

Point of clarification: you still have a communication barrier when you are talking to a non-native speaker.  It's just that they are the ones assuming the weight of it. 

SilveradoBojangles

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »
Traveling for work is not the same as traveling for fun. Traveling for work tends to be rushed and hectic, and you are either alone in a boring hotel room, or forced to socialize with colleagues. Even traveling the way most Americans travel (1-2 week vacation) is extremely draining. With travel time, jet lag, and running around trying to cram in all your sightseeing, coming home seems like the vacation.

But most people (myself included) who want to be FI in order to travel have a completely different type of travel in mind. My partner and I love renting apartments in new cities and settling in for a month or three to explore at a leisurely pace. It's like trying on someone else's life for awhile. We are also fairly introverted, but love finding new street food, wandering around new cities, seeing museums and taking hikes and going to new beaches. We also spend a fair amount of time reading books in parks and watching movies in our apartment and doing the same stuff we do at home. We basically just transport our life with us where ever we go, as well as our routines. Because we are minimalists, this is easy. But all the new experiences are like a drug for me. And my memories from these different places are much sharper than when I find myself in one place for a long time, probably because all of my senses are engaged.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2015, 03:08:46 PM »
Flying  for work can be quite nice, just ignore TSA-block them out, then sit back, relax and enjoy getting paid to watch a move and drink free booze while collecting the extra per diem.  but I get ymmv on this.

Being some where for work can really suck.  Work 10+hr every day, high stress to get results before your return booking else your trip gets extended.  My experience says it would be very hard to plain any-sort of after work fun or socialization, often I dont know when I will leave the job site that day.  Good chance I did not have a proper lunch so I am hungry, and I want to go run but then I have 'home' work to look at back in the hotel.

Personal travel can be a mixed bag for me.  I have had fun going out and exploring the world.  But I also recently paid money to cancel a personal trip so I could stay home and live my normal live as I thought that would be more enjoyable.  The trip was a gift I did not ask for and I thought was going to be mostly chilling at an aunts house, as the travel date neared it became clear her plains were for some 12 different hotels over three weeks and zero down time this was non-negotiable.  that sounded to much like work travel with living out of a suit case and eating out three meals per day.  so I opted out last minute, was the right call.

Language barrier: this can get old.  fucking hell I want to be able to just read the restaurant menu!  and putting the effort out to be extra polite to locals so as not to be the asshole American who does not speak the local language.  Then there have been times I have not got to do things or go places because I could not read the street parking signs and getting the rental car towed would be a very bad thing.  or not knowing how late public transit runs on sundays.  Problem solving around these things can be done but I dont want to need to think while on holiday, I solve those same problems while on work travel.  Most of my experiences here are with very rushed time frames and having zero time to learn local language. 

I did not intend this to sound so negative, but often people think travel = fun and that is not always the case at least for some types of travel for some people.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2015, 03:16:59 PM »
I mostly just hate traveling by airplane or traveling a long distance in the car.  Planes are cramped and security lines are long and I get really bored having to spend hours getting somewhere.  Cars are pretty much the same deal (minus the security line.)  Lately, I've been able to cut down the amount of travel time for most vacations to less than two hours of driving, although we do have a vacation to Florida coming up soon that will require a flight.  Ugh.  It's cheaper and more enjoyable to just go somewhere local.

chemgeek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2015, 03:38:27 PM »

The best way I can explain why I like traveling is: would you rather watch people have sex or experience it yourself? I don't mean that rudely, but I would rather admire/see/experience places for myself than have them described to me. It makes human history come alive in my eyes. It's one thing to see a picture of a painting, it's another to stand in front if it exactly where it's painters stood 500 years earlier and wonder about them, their lives, and the era they lived in. I think travel is the most enjoyable if you have some context or knowledge behind what you're going to see. The Ponto Vecchio in Florence is a nice enough looking bridge, but visiting it was more interesting to me knowing that Hitler refused to have it demolished because he admired it so much, while nearly all the other bridges were blown up.  I make it a point to read a variety of books before we leave the country. If you're just following a tour and seeing things just for the sake of seeing things, then yeah there's not really a point.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2015, 03:57:18 PM »
Another homebody here. I like my life, my garden, my cats. The idea of living somewhere else for a month or three, having to do all the boring chores of shopping and cooking with the extra difficulty of language or cultural barrier, away from the environment *I* chose, doesn't do much for me. There are places I'd like to experience, and I definitely enjoy hiking/nature types of trips, but I don't plan to do extensive foreign travel.

octavius

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2015, 03:58:15 PM »
Traveling for work can get old fast -- at least it did for me back when I had a job like that (first job after college).  I'd fly to various cities around the US and install and customize software at hospitals and train their staff.  I'd spend 2 days in a place like Indianapolis, or Memphis, Louisville, then fly home.  It was interesting for about 4 months, then I was very sick of it and I moved on to another job. 

That said, I love traveling for pleasure.  Have been to many countries, and hope to see many more.  I don't really relish the actual time in the airplane or the airport -- but I love spending weeks at a time in different places.