Author Topic: Am I Nuts? Hating Ridiculously Easy 110k Job  (Read 19385 times)

cjottawa

• Stubble
Re: Am I Nuts? Hating Ridiculously Easy 110k Job
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2015, 01:41:46 PM »
I was going to give you a face punch and say, "yes, you are nuts. STFU, suck it up, take the money and live with the job" but that's not overly helpful, despite it being my first reaction.

The grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence; the grass is greener where you water it.

FIND A WAY to enjoy your job.

Enjoy that you don't have to work 100 hour work weeks for your six figure salary. Find some way of enjoying your coworkers. If they're truly disagreeable human beings (possible but unlikely) find a way to try to improve them. You get out what you put in.

Enjoy air-conditioning in summer, heating in winter; many people work in appalling conditions outdoors, year round, for a fraction of what you're making.

The job doesn't have to be difficult. Enjoy that you're good at it, which makes the job easy for you.

I agree with others: take a sabbatical. Gain some perspective. Others have also suggested volunteering with impoverished groups and I agree. Change your perspective before changing jobs/careers or you'll end up back at square one with your new one, making half as much money, in conditions twice as bad, even if it takes a few years for the honeymoon of "new" to wear off.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 10:08:36 AM by cjottawa »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2015, 02:53:16 PM »
As someone who worked from home and had to call into many meetings, here's what I did: I dialed in from my cell phone, which was clipped to my belt or in a pocket. I had a headset with a mute button, and if there were slides, I had them on my iPad. With this setup, I could cook dinner, clean, do laundry or other chores while on the call. Sometimes I would take the call from a park or my car. My default setting on the call was mute. I would only go off mute to make comments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2015, 03:32:33 PM »
I'm in a pretty similar position: I am age 30, I earn a little more than you  (and that's not including bonuses)  and I work a 40 hour week, the majority of which is spent in meetings.  I don't enjoy it much, though I do give it my 100% while I'm doing it.

There are two big differences that keep me sane:

• I'm extremely thankful for my job.   
  • In my free time, I do what I really love which is to make stuff - I don't even own a TV

The way I see it: the job is a massive blessing that is going to allow me to retire at around 40 and then be able to do what I love full time. Even if it falls apart before then, I will have accumulated enough net worth even in the next few year to never have to go through the type of financial trauma my parents have experienced, so I will be thankful even if it only lasts a few more years.

[edit]
The other thing to consider is to look in detail at what value you are providing to your company. It may be more than you think, and if it's not, then optimise it. Delivering value is satisfying.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 03:36:34 PM by Deo »

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2015, 03:38:18 PM »
As someone who worked from home and had to call into many meetings, here's what I did: I dialed in from my cell phone, which was clipped to my belt or in a pocket. I had a headset with a mute button, and if there were slides, I had them on my iPad. With this setup, I could cook dinner, clean, do laundry or other chores while on the call. Sometimes I would take the call from a park or my car. My default setting on the call was mute. I would only go off mute to make comments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At a previous job, I may have been at the fishing peer with the web meeting app on my phone, attending remotely...Then again I may not have. One can never be quite sure what is a dream and what is reality.

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2015, 05:13:31 PM »
Yes, you're nuts. Nuts for not having quit already. Life's too short to be doing anything you don't want to do for any period of time. Don't consider yourself "lucky" to have a $100k job. There are plenty of other ways to make way more money and you're more than likely capable of it.

The grass may not always be greener, but the terrain and landscape could be completely different.

jjcamembert

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2015, 03:39:45 PM »
Define what you want out of a job and go get it. For me, I just wanted a supportive environment where I could learn new skills. Some people are fine just coasting through their dull meaningless jobs, but I see it as a waste of 40 hours of my week. Envision what you want to do every day in great detail. What does your ideal day look like? Do you actually want to deal with all the issues of being a financial manager, or was that really just a dream about how to get rich?

You have a decent stash and don't care if you get fired. Use this leverage to get what you want out of the job. Pull a "4 Hour Work-Week" (book by Tim Ferriss) and improve your efficiency, telecommute, and use the extra time to do what you want.

fizzgig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2015, 08:37:15 AM »
Jesus, that sounds like a dream to me. Wish I figured out something like that. I chose to go into the librarian field and I don't make shit. Can I buy your job off of you? I'd love the kind of job you describe!
Since you work from home, couldn't you teach someone (like me!) how to do your job and you could take time off whenever you want, but still keep the job. Your replacement would earn whatever money comes in while you're away.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 08:57:06 AM by fizzgig »

i983605

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2015, 09:23:12 AM »
The words of encouragement, and even the couple smack downs, have helped me immensely in figuring out a plan on how to move forward.

A few things have progressed since I posted

-I figured out that I am happiest when I am working on hands on projects with an end result. Things as small as mowing the lawn, changing the oil on the car or cleaning out the garage leave me glowing for at least 2 days.

-I’ve decided that on my 28th birthday in April I will switch from Full time to Part time work and take a 50% cut in pay. I chose April because by than I would have received my bonus, maxed out the 401k, received the company match for prior year contributions, we’ll have better weather and doing it on my birthday sounds cool. Even at 50% of my salary I can cover all expenses and save a decent amount. As an added bonus, 20 hours qualifies for full benefits at my mega corp.

-After going part time I am going to volunteer at Habitat for Humanity and learn some skills while helping others.

-I am going to work on building a short term furnished rental business consisting of 3 2-family houses – 1-3 Month rentals. I have found a niche in this area and will build out slowly to exploit it.

-I’ve started training at a Muay Thai gym to build up some confidence, get some exercise in and meet new people. I am definitely enjoying it.

-Lastly, I went out and purchased a used 2012 Pruis 4 Trim for $13k (1 owner no mechanical issues). I had been wanting an upgrade – Bluetooth, cruise control, more comfortable seats -from the basic fit for a year and I did get a decent deal on it and paid cash. My wife and I are driving it down to Florida in January for a three week vacation between Miami and Aruba. 

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2015, 10:04:48 AM »
I don't think its your career choice. Corporate IT can suck, but lets be serious here, most jobs suck more. Corporate IT is helping catapult me to FIRE and providing work/life balance better than most other good paying jobs. and for that, I am grateful.

I cringe at people who have no life when working towards their pursuit of fire. Keep working but do more for yourself.
I have never been able to feel very accomplished by my career or income level. Working safely from a desk just doesn't satisfy me, I would rather be in the gym with several hundred pounds on my back - which unfortunately pays $0, but I do it for me. The "what do you do" question at a cocktail party always annoys me because I "do" so much more than my job. I am tempted to say "drug dealer" like Tim Ferris does in the 4 Hour WorkWeek. Having my identity tied to a position I hold at someone else's company just doesn't cut it.

dailycycle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2015, 02:47:44 PM »
Another vote for not nuts, here.  A few suggestions:

1. If you live near the office, try being onsite a few days each week.  Maybe you spend too much time alone at home.  Working at home is a perk, but you don't need to take advantage of it if it's not ultimately right for you.
2. You've spent a lot of time at one job and haven't worked anywhere else.  You might find being in the same position at a different place invigorating (don't assume you won't get paid as much).  Or find a slightly different position: either the same work without the managerial aspect or without the help desk aspect. Or jump into something different.  27 is a good age to start any career. 
3. If you're still thinking about finance, really check out what those jobs are like.  Seeing the complaints of working lawyers on various forums disabused me of any notion that I would have been better off going to law school.

I've seen a lot of people in jobs that were easy and boring then switch to jobs that were too stressful/busy.  They all felt better at the latter.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2015, 08:33:47 AM »
The words of encouragement, and even the couple smack downs, have helped me immensely in figuring out a plan on how to move forward.

A few things have progressed since I posted

-I figured out that I am happiest when I am working on hands on projects with an end result. Things as small as mowing the lawn, changing the oil on the car or cleaning out the garage leave me glowing for at least 2 days.

-I’ve decided that on my 28th birthday in April I will switch from Full time to Part time work and take a 50% cut in pay. I chose April because by than I would have received my bonus, maxed out the 401k, received the company match for prior year contributions, we’ll have better weather and doing it on my birthday sounds cool. Even at 50% of my salary I can cover all expenses and save a decent amount. As an added bonus, 20 hours qualifies for full benefits at my mega corp.

-After going part time I am going to volunteer at Habitat for Humanity and learn some skills while helping others.

-I am going to work on building a short term furnished rental business consisting of 3 2-family houses – 1-3 Month rentals. I have found a niche in this area and will build out slowly to exploit it.

-I’ve started training at a Muay Thai gym to build up some confidence, get some exercise in and meet new people. I am definitely enjoying it.

-Lastly, I went out and purchased a used 2012 Pruis 4 Trim for $13k (1 owner no mechanical issues). I had been wanting an upgrade – Bluetooth, cruise control, more comfortable seats -from the basic fit for a year and I did get a decent deal on it and paid cash. My wife and I are driving it down to Florida in January for a three week vacation between Miami and Aruba.

Great update! I'm glad to hear you're making powerful changes. I think the combination of tangible work, exercise, and a sense of ownership over your life will page huge dividends for your health. And what's the point of FIRE if you've lost health in the pursuit?

Thanks so much for the update. Hopefully you'll inspire additional people that they can make these changes too!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!