Author Topic: Am I crazy for stepping away from a easy remote job?  (Read 7898 times)

Ponderosa

Re: Am I crazy for stepping away from a easy remote job?
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2019, 02:11:07 PM »
I have one more offer on the table but it's a 38k paycut from what I'm making now. The company is great though and it's exactly the work I want to do. Plus the culture is a good fit and they have a pretty consistent raise structure.

Downside is another car is necessary which is another expense. Looking at the numbers we can still save plenty but it's going to be way less. Our spending can be lowered a bit to about 42k a year and we would still be pulling a bit over 100k gross and I'm sure I'd go up fast again.

Feels like a lot of pressure to make this decision. I really want to do it but I'm worried I will regret leaving what I have, even if I'm unhappy. Just thinking of keeping my current path makes me a bit sad.

My current work is obviously the best case for FI but again we don't plan on cutting out of work super early.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2019, 02:21:08 PM »
I DESPERATELY miss producing and feeling pride in my work.  I am a TYPE A person and this job is killing my soul.  Glad to know that a few of you understand!   

I totally get it, and was there myself.  Best of luck to you!  That is a tough spot.

It is a tough spot, but as someone with medical issues myself, I know how hard it is to find a job that fits around your medical needs. You're almost there, I would stick it out

If you need to be available every day during office hours, can you find some other activity that you can do while waiting? Starting a work-from-home business, working on a degree, sewing, reading, anything you can do within a few meters of your desk? If will be mind numbing but you're worse off if your health declines due to commuting.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2019, 09:15:06 PM »
I am currently weighing something similar, though not as cushy as the one you are in.

As I'm nearing negotiations, I'm looking to see how I can do both, at least for a few months.

If you left the current spot, is there a pay cut?

How long can you do both, reasonably? Do you have vacation/sick days that you can take? On my end, I have about 4 weeks that I could take, which guarantees the pay from both jobs, but, also, I wouldn't have to keep the second one a secret from the first.

eav

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2019, 07:19:32 AM »
You're not crazy for walking away! I think being a remote worker is way too overblown and glorified in the FIRE community.

I was in a similar spot, except I transitioned to be the only remote member of my team and was not very well liked because of it...that's another story! I quit that job in December and the company went bankrupt in March...they were too focused on a segment of the business they were not competitive in.

There's a level of insecurity that comes with having a lot of down time as a remote worker. You're already out-of-sight out-of-mind to your employer. That coupled with with not having a decent workload makes you an easy target for layoffs in my opinion.

Ponderosa

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2019, 01:10:42 PM »
Is 50k absurdly low for a new developer (medium COL avg. rent = $1500)? I couldn't stomach the 50% paycut from my current job, even though I really wanted the role. It's hard to step down from a high salary!

In the meantime, I'm trying to chill out a bit and get outside more. 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2019, 01:18:28 PM »
OP, do you have a dog?  I recommend it if you continue working from home.   

Ponderosa

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2019, 01:23:58 PM »
Yep! He is super helpful in both getting outside and just general companionship. Actually he is a deterrent from leaving the work from home position.

I'm also looking into part time developer opportunities so I can build skills at home. Haven't come up with much yet but still working on it.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2019, 02:31:31 PM »
Is 50k absurdly low for a new developer (medium COL avg. rent = $1500)? I couldn't stomach the 50% paycut from my current job, even though I really wanted the role. It's hard to step down from a high salary!

$50k isn't too bad for a new developer. If you're halfway decent, you'll be getting generous pay raises the first few years.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2019, 01:26:43 PM »
Yep! He is super helpful in both getting outside and just general companionship. Actually he is a deterrent from leaving the work from home position.

I'm also looking into part time developer opportunities so I can build skills at home. Haven't come up with much yet but still working on it.

oh good!  I recently got a dog and now I never want to go to work.  I wish I could work from home much more often! 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!