Author Topic: Am I being too petty? (work issue)  (Read 3987 times)

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Am I being too petty? (work issue)
« on: December 16, 2016, 08:55:59 AM »
I spoke to my boss 's boss last week and I think that went pretty well. I would like to talk to him again. I'm concerned about my manager's behavior to the client.
For example the client asked us to do a flowchart for a process they sent us. I sent my manager the draft and he said they never asked us for a flowchart. I sent another draft saying in case they change their mind. My co-worker who he likes said we need to do the flowchart so he asked for evidence that they wanted it. I sent him the email where they asked for the flowchart and then he asked me why I hadn't been working on the flowchart.
The client had mentioned that they were going to update the process so my manager started saying in our reports that it was the clients fault we hadn't done the flowchart because they never sent us the new process (they asked us to make the flowchart based on the old process). And during our meeting with the client yesterday he told them the reason we haven't done the flowchart is because they haven't gotten us the new process, in what I thought was a rude, accusatory tone. The client got very quiet. This is also something that my boss does regularly, misses something and blames the client for it.

Second issue is that I was coming up with recommendations for a different process they sent us a list of recommendations that they had already come up with so I incorporated some of them in the list of recommendations we gave them. I explained to my manager why I wanted to incorporate their recommendations too. My concern is that during our presentation yesterday my manager presented all the recommendations as if we came up with all of them. That doesn't sit well with me.
Should I tell my boss's boss these two things? For the past month whenever my boss asks the client what they want us to work on they get very quiet. I wouldn't be surprised if the client was tired of dealing with my boss.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
Re: Am I being too petty? (work issue)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 09:06:23 AM »
If I were you, I'd talk to coworkers that I trusted about this.  I feel like the culture of each place is different, and it depends in part on your relationship with your boss, with your boss' boss, and the type of person / boss your boss' boss is.  Someone more familiar with the culture of the place and the people involved might be able to give better advice.

It might also be helpful to consider your motivation.  Are you just trying to do what's best for the client?  If so, I think you can be more open about your concerns.  If you're trying to get your boss in trouble, though, I'd be more careful expressing my concerns.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 09:44:00 AM »
The manager gets to do this. He may or may not have some greater plan but he's in charge. Blaming the client is an age-old consultant strategy that while I don't like it seems to work well out in the wild at times. He may also be having other conversations with the client or people in the clients office that change his thinking. (is the new process the new new process?)

Also, I've always viewed one of my responsibilities was to have things ready to solve various problems he didn't realize were problems.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 10:02:18 AM »
I'm worried about losing the contract, but I guess telling the boss's boss my concerns wouldn't change that. Good to know blaming the client is normal.
I am practically begging the boss to let me solve problems all the time. I made a recommendation that I I had to defend to my boss for weeks and the client really liked it.

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 10:19:23 AM »
I remember one of your previous threads about your boss. Just because of that background information I'd say you are probably overreacting. You are arrogant and think you are the only person in the company that knows everything. Calm down a little.

MOD NOTE: Rule 1
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:23:24 AM by arebelspy »

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 10:42:07 AM »
I am calming down.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 11:00:58 AM »
Too many solutions also requires upselling the contract!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 12:22:13 PM by trollwithamustache »

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 11:15:01 AM »
You need to decide what you want to change and identify your true motivations:

A))are you complaining to your grand boss, because you might lose clients?

In that case, do not tattle. Be awesome at your job, if it's that bad,  the client will walk and make their own complaints. (where there is smoke, there is fire) but you running to his boss makes you look like a whiner/tattler.

have you ever sat down with your boss and to his face told him you think he is miss managing clients? 
complaints about him, to his boss, will come back to him, and you.  Have you thought about a real adult conversation in which you said: Hey,  I notice that our client interaction isn't going well, let's change tactic.

B))is it the fact that you don't like that you do not look like a superstar ( you had a flow chart,  and your boss didn't give you credit for having it)

you need to adjust your expectations, or just leave. this is not a complaint worth talking to your bosses boss about.  I have read you other thread. I gave the same advice.

are you showing up with complaints or solutions?

managers do not like people who go whining about fake problems. and right now that is all I am hearing

so decide what you want the end game to look like.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 11:55:57 AM by vivophoenix »

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 11:43:51 AM »
You need to decide what you want to change and identify your true motivations:

A))are you complaining to your grand boss, because you might lose clients?

In that case, do not tattle. Be awesome at your job, if its that bad the client will walk and make their own complaints. (where there is smoke there is fire.) but you running to his boss makes you look like a whiner/tattler. have you ever sat down with your boss and to his face told him you think he is miss managing clients? 

complaints about him, to his boss, will come back to him, and you.  Have you thought about a real adult conversation in which you said: Hey,  I notice that our client interaction isn't going well, let's change tactic.

B))is it the fact that you don't like that you do not look like a superstar ( you had a flow chart,  and your boss didn't give you credit for having it)

you need to adjust your expectations, or just leave. this is not a complaint worth talking to your bosses boss about.  I have read you other thread. I gave the same advice.

are you showing up with complaints or solutions?

managers do not like people who go whining about fake problems. and right now that is all I am hearing

so decide what you want the end game to look like.

This... And all the details you wrote was hard to follow. Your boss' boss does not care about these details.