Author Topic: Am I being lazy or smart?  (Read 4853 times)

Illini1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Am I being lazy or smart?
« on: April 26, 2015, 04:32:49 PM »
A little background first. I'm 32 and my wife is 36 and we have a 3 year old son which will be our only child. We have a net worth of around $150k and the MMM lifestyle has been a big reason for this. My wife works part time and should make around $10k this year. Which brings me to the reason for this post. I currently work in an industry that I don't particularly like making $60k. The one positive with my job is that I only work 14 days a month (12 hour shifts). I really enjoy the extra days off with my son and it helps a lot with the commuting costs (50 mile round trip) and child care costs which are zero.  Also the extra days off really help me unwind and keep my sanity from the very stressful work environment.

Anyways, I feel like at work lately management is trying to push me into other positions where I would have to work 5 days a week where I would probably have to work 10+ hours a day. Granted I might be able to squeeze an initial 5-10 percent raise from these new roles. 

If I was to take one of these new positions I very well could set myself up for an even greater salary of potentially $100-125k.  However it would be even more stress and it would still be in the industry (distribution) which I don't particularly like.

As it sits now I should be able to fire in 14-18 years while only working 3-4 days per week or I could potentially cut that time down to 8-10 years however having to work a lot more and with a lot more stress.  Any thoughts on my situation mustachians? Has anyone else gone thru something else similar?

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
Re: Am I being lazy or smart?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 04:51:19 PM »
I left a high stress high hours job (80k a year including bonuses) to be a teacher, initially 27k, now back up to 50k. I have no regrets about that. If I'd stayed in the other job I would be making around 100-120k now, or actually by now I might be retired. But I'm very glad to be in a job I like.

My dad made a similar choice - he turned down a higher paid management position because it wasn't the job he wanted. He was happy with his decision.

Personally I don't think the extra money is worth 10 hour days plus a 50 mile commute 5 days a week. Leaving at 7am and getting home at 7pm each day is grueling. Fire in 18 years sounds long, but if you are having 50% of your days off right now, it's like you are halfway retired at 32, which is like winning the lottery.

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 04:53:49 PM »
How sure are you that this would get you the bigger salary? I would be worried this is carrot dangling just to get you to work a harder job. A coworker of mine has been putting in extra time and effort for years to chase that higher position and higher salary that never seems to materialize.

Personally I prefer a lower stress lifestyle. It depends on how much more stressful this would be and how much you dislike stress.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 05:56:06 PM »
You're already unhappy.  Can you take the new job without ruining your health, straining your marriage, or compromising healthy living with coping behaviours (alcohol, smoking, junk food, drugs, foregoing exercise)?  You've already said it means more time commuting and working, so less time for your family and leisure.

Is there a door #3, where you get a new job you like better?

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 06:17:23 PM »
No I don't think you're being lazy about it at all. No one wants to work a job that is stressful and they don't like. The key to this site is it's not about sacrifice. You should never do something you don't want to do in favor of more money.

vagon

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 07:24:20 PM »
How sure are you that this would get you the bigger salary? I would be worried this is carrot dangling just to get you to work a harder job. A coworker of mine has been putting in extra time and effort for years to chase that higher position and higher salary that never seems to materialize.

I agree, this is super-common across many industries.

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 12:48:47 AM »
More stress with fewer days off? Those days off that you already need to unwind? Tell them they're dreaming.

I agree, this is super-common across many industries.
I've seen this happen too, or the raise is negligable anyway.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 06:06:08 AM »
Sounds like your hourly rate would be lower. No way.

(A relative got promoted to management without a raise because she couldn't believe they wouldn't give her one.)

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 06:12:42 AM »
More stress with fewer days off? Those days off that you already need to unwind? Tell them they're dreaming.

This exactly. More work, more responsibility, and more stress should come with more days off, period. The "American way" of running ourselves/our employees into the ground is a recipe for disaster, especially when you have a family you want to stay close and connected to.

You've already managed to save very well considering your combined salaries; you've demonstrated that you don't need the money, especially if it's a "maybe" and not a guaranteed bump. I'd say start looking for a job closer to home. If you don't find a better one, so be it, but you should know what your other options are.