Author Topic: Am I bad for wanting to buy a metal roof  (Read 8010 times)

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
Am I bad for wanting to buy a metal roof
« on: March 16, 2015, 11:53:26 AM »
Here's a question. Our house is overdue for a new roof. We would prefer a metal roof (standing seam). My husband is willing to install metal roof with his friend, but his friend has only done the ones with exposed fasteners and if I was going for metal would want a standing seam with no exposed fasteners. We have saved 9.7K towards a roof. We got a quote from a well regarded company for 9.4 for asphalt, or 19K for metal (gutters will be extra). So go ahead with asphalt roof and be done with it, or borrow money to get a metal roof? As we have a couple other financial commitments this year it will take us probably another year and a half to make the difference but don't think we should wait that long to replace the roof. also is it ridiculous to pay that much for a roof, given our house is probably worth around 200-230K? 
Either way we go I'm sure it will be a big improvement with what is up there now (3 layers of cheapest roofing material on market, heavy moss layer on north side). 

yandz

• Stubble
Re: Am I bad for wanting to buy a metal roof
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 12:04:33 PM »
I (personally) would not take a loan for the metal roof.  Are you sure you can't put off the replacement? Maybe make a couple needed repairs and keep saving?

Can you do the demo and any prep yourselves to bring down the metal roof quote a bit by having them do install only?

ETA: we are so all about wanting a metal roof. I am secretly hoping for some horrible storm to come through...

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 12:07:17 PM »
Also, how long are you planning to stay there? I doubt a metal roof would add much to a sale price so if you're selling before you'll see the benefit of the metal roof longevity it may not be worthwhile.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 12:17:34 PM »
We don't know how long we will live here. We may live here rest of life. Or we may sell at some point, especially when kids are no longer in this school district. We wouldn't do it for resale costs but comfort, longevity and esthetics for while we do live in it. We have an unfinished attic that my husband spends alot of time up there, we are hoping that the metal roof makes it more comfortable up there, plus a metal roof is less heavy than traditional asphalt.
They could cut off a couple grand if we did all the tear off and installed the underlayment ourselves (as well as removing 1, 2 chimneys) but that is dirty messy work; the majority of cost is in the professional install (and all that goes with it). I'm going to talk with husband about it. It is a touchy topic, as he seems to want a metal roof if he puts it on, or not at all.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 12:19:05 PM by partgypsy »

yandz

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 01:20:00 PM »
I have heard, too, that metal roofs may qualify you for homeowners ins. discounts as well.  Probably won't make up the 10k difference to put it in, but worth a quick call so you can know and factor it in.

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 01:29:23 PM »
We don't know how long we will live here. We may live here rest of life. Or we may sell at some point, especially when kids are no longer in this school district. We wouldn't do it for resale costs but comfort, longevity and esthetics for while we do live in it. We have an unfinished attic that my husband spends alot of time up there, we are hoping that the metal roof makes it more comfortable up there, plus a metal roof is less heavy than traditional asphalt.
They could cut off a couple grand if we did all the tear off and installed the underlayment ourselves (as well as removing 1, 2 chimneys) but that is dirty messy work; the majority of cost is in the professional install (and all that goes with it). I'm going to talk with husband about it. It is a touchy topic, as he seems to want a metal roof if he puts it on, or not at all.

Well....I'm 5'3" and female and I tore multiple roofs (illegally added on by previous owners) off of two of my rental duplexes. I got rooftop delivery of asphalt comp and 15lb roofing felt and did 99% of it all myself but then had to go help a sick relative and had the ridgeline put on the modified hip roof and some trim on the mansard roof finished by a roofing company.

It is dirty work (you will NEED good gloves!!!). But very doable. If it'll save you a few grand and make the metal roof affordable, I think it's a valid possibility.

There are other ones though. Your husband could "apply" to a roofing company specifically to learn the standing seam process....make a deal with a small owner where your husband works for 'free' for a two weekends or whatever in order to learn. Not sure about renting that equipment but if you couldn't find anyone to rent it to you (offer a written disclaimer) then you could possibly buy/resell it and still be ahead of the game: check that out online, the purchase price/cost of new, etc. Or, you could offer to put an advertising sign up to help defray the cost if that would get some money shaved off: "this roof done by xxx co."

Sometimes just asking small companies "is there any way we can make this more affordable?" will get them thinking. Most don't want you 'helping' due to liability but with a waiver...

I hope you get what you really want: if you're doing the roof 'for you' it's nice to have what you want. But in truth, the reality of standing seam versus visible fasteners is negligible from the street. And only mildly relevant for snow load.

Also...removing the chimneys is probably not necessary and probably would require mega permits. If you don't want to have them functional you can close them off, and just flash them like anything else up there...skylights or whatever.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 01:37:32 PM »
I think you really need to decide how long you intend to stay in your house, and that'll be the answer.  If you're going to move before the roof needs replacing again ... you'll probably not make up the extra cost of the metal roof.  But if you're going to stay in this house "forever", you'll avoid both the hassle and cost of doing the roof again down the road. 

We are in the planning process of building a house -- the house in which we expect to live for the rest of our lives -- and we are definitely going with a metal roof. 

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 01:55:53 PM »
Yeah we just can't answer that question. My husband would be happy to live here forever, but there are a couple things (no off-street parking, really small lot) that are not ideal. But, I really like the neighborhood. We wouldn't be able to buy in this neighbor to get those things, without a huge price increase. We are not willing at this time to move to get those things, so we stay (plus our kids love the house). I'm going to talk to husband this evening, to see if we can come to an agreement. I have to admit, part of it is simply esthetics. I think asphalt roofs look ugly, and remind me that it will eventually end up in landfill, while metal roofs are attractive and pleasing to me, and the thought that 15, 20 years I won't have to go through another roof repair, is definitely attractive. But money-wise it never seems like a good time.   

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 09:20:03 AM »
Talked to hubby, and he is fine with asphalt (really more fiberglass). Comes with a 40 year warranty, and 10 year for mildew. The thing is, money needed elsewhere, because may put on gutters as well, as well as carpentry work on fascia (sp) so it will add up $$$. Previous work on roof was really minimal, so it will be really nice having a properly installed roof. Whole conversation like discussing needed dental work. Necessary but unpleasant. I like the company. Instead of taking to dump they take old roof to recycling place.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 09:23:45 AM by partgypsy »

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 09:34:15 AM »
Something else to consider with a small lot and metal roof: they let go of snow FAST. I grew up in a house with a metal roof, and when the snow comes down it all comes down in a big pile. I now live in a house with driveway's on either side, and would never put a metal roof on this as our car and the neighbor's would be in danger of some serious damage. I'd be a little concerned with people walking in a tight space (with nowhere to get out of the way) with a snow covered metal roof above too. That said it would be great to not have to worry about the snow piling up up there and I love the sound of rain on a metal roof. Definitely going to have one on the final house.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 09:49:18 AM »
Yeah we just can't answer that question. My husband would be happy to live here forever, but there are a couple things (no off-street parking, really small lot) that are not ideal. But, I really like the neighborhood.

The real question is now how long you plan to "live" there, but rather how long you plan to own the house. I, for example, know I probably won't live in my current house forever, but when I do move I plan to keep it as a rental.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 09:56:23 AM »
Something else to consider with a small lot and metal roof: they let go of snow FAST.

Solution: Snow guards, which are just metal bars attached to the seams.

sandandsun

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 10:01:50 AM »

Well....I'm 5'3" and female and I tore multiple roofs (illegally added on by previous owners) off of two of my rental duplexes. I got rooftop delivery of asphalt comp and 15lb roofing felt and did 99% of it all myself but then had to go help a sick relative and had the ridgeline put on the modified hip roof and some trim on the mansard roof finished by a roofing company.

It is dirty work (you will NEED good gloves!!!). But very doable. If it'll save you a few grand and make the metal roof affordable, I think it's a valid possibility.

You go ahead, sister.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:03:33 AM by sandandsun »

sandandsun

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 10:05:26 AM »
Yeah we just can't answer that question. My husband would be happy to live here forever, but there are a couple things (no off-street parking, really small lot) that are not ideal. But, I really like the neighborhood.

The real question is now how long you plan to "live" there, but rather how long you plan to own the house. I, for example, know I probably won't live in my current house forever, but when I do move I plan to keep it as a rental.

+1
my dad and his friends put a new metal roof on my sisters house for less than 2k (small house).  Not having to remove the old roof reduced the amount of time it took by a ton...

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 10:17:51 AM »
Have you had any other quotes on the metal roof?  You can't know if the 19.4 k is a good number without asking some other companies.  This will also give you some negotiating room if you really like the company you're dealing with.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 10:25:49 AM »

We really wanted metal... and when we got the bids, we just couldn't justify.  (Our roof line is complicated -- our fault.)  If it was only 2x the cost of composite, I think we would have done it.  For us, it was closer to 4x.

I've done a small amount of roofing.  It was all on gently sloped roofs.   Our current house is almost 45 degrees.  I don't think I could handle that on my own.   

One thing to consider on the 40 year lifetime for your composite materials:  My neighbor sold roofing.  He swore that for a particular brand, the 20 year, 30 year, and 40 year shingles were exactly the same.  You were just buying an insurance policy on them.  Now, he may have been mistaken... and this may or may not be true for all brands of shingles... but you might research that a little.  He actually talked us OUT of paying for 40 year shingles.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 10:26:02 AM »
Here in the land of giant trees (and giant falling branches) a metal roof is a must - and something that I have to budget for in building our cottage in a few years. Oh well...

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 11:04:03 AM »
We are actually getting the 30 year type (Certainteed Landmark) but the company is giving us the 40 year warranty. Doing all the things they need, tearing off all 3 layers, metal drip edge (once fascia repairs, iceguard in the valleys, making a ridge vent, and probably removing 2 chimneys, using approved caps, etc versus just more shingles. I got multiple quotes, talked to many people, the 19.4K price was the least expensive for the standing seam, with a proven company. Our roof is not the most complicated, but it is not the simplest either and is alot of square footage.
We could have gotten the rolled metal roof for only a couple grand more than the asphalt, but then I didn't want to deal with the issues with exposed fasteners.  Our other option was to get this Ecuadorian who would have done it for a good price, but it would take longer (him and friends versus a team) and no warranty. So we are paying more for peace of mind.

Both husband and I are sick of talking about house stuff. Looking forward to having this big stuff done and back to puttering around.