Author Topic: Alternatives to CL & Ebay for large ticket items  (Read 3496 times)

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Alternatives to CL & Ebay for large ticket items
« on: April 08, 2012, 03:46:40 PM »
My wife and I are looking at purging out our massive, ancient vintage console collections. If these were just bare bones consoles with beat up peripherals and game cartridges, we'd probably just go Craigslist or Ebay with them... but they aren't. We're talking vintage NES and SNES with several large name games still in box and great shape. Games that are selling alone in these sorts of conditions for $100+ a pop. For the sake of ease and simplicity, we'd rather sell them as a collection instead of piecemeal. We've also discovered a couple old DVD box sets that are apparently surprisingly rare as well (paid $60, selling for $500+, but this is less so other than keeping the otherwise lost sales percentage). Ideally, we'd rather deal local as shipping is going to be a nightmare, but the average CL buyer isn't looking for vintage collectibles at fair market price and our area's CL is especially dismal as well.

Anybody have any suggestions on alternative sales/auction methods for these sorts of items to minimize hassle and keep as much of the sales price in our pockets?

sol

• Walrus Stache
Re: Alternatives to CL & Ebay for large ticket items
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 04:22:01 PM »
I'd start cruising for internet forums dedicated to this kind of thing.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 07:53:08 AM »
eBay will likely net you the most, even after fees, due to the number of users.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 09:08:52 AM »
Ebay is where to go even tough you don't want to, and you definitely won't get top dollar combining things.  If you don't have an ebay user id with a decent rating I suggest finding a friend who does and who is willing to sell for you.  Or start with your smaller items and build up over a month so that you have a good rating by the time you sell the highest priced items.  People won't spend top dollar on a seller who doesn't have a good rating.

Outside ebay you are probably down to lots of leg work and frustration, but it's possible you could find someone local willing to pay decent money.  But I don't know of any good way of finding them.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 09:11:08 AM by James »

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 03:25:27 PM »
Games that are selling alone in these sorts of conditions for $100+ a pop.

paid $60, selling for $500+

Where are you seeing that these are selling for so much? Wherever that is, it sounds like that is where you should be listing them. I agree with James, trying to find a buyer who is willing to buy the whole lot is going to be harder, and they won't want to pay full price for it as a lot.