Author Topic: Alternatives for cheaper wireless?  (Read 3381 times)

hoyahoyasaxa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Alternatives for cheaper wireless?
« on: September 08, 2013, 05:43:23 PM »
Does anyone have good affordable options (outside the box thinking is welcome) for wireless internet?  We currently have Time Warner Cable (no cable, just Internet) and our bill just went up from $46 a month to $56 a month.  Surely there must be a better way!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: Alternatives for cheaper wireless?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 06:04:59 PM »
Wireless will always be more expensive per GB of downloaded data.

Your best option is to choose a slower tier of service. 3Mbps is plenty. Otherwise, shop around. Try Earthlink, investigate the DSL options in your area, and thumb through the superguide.

Also, make sure you actually own your modem and router. Rental fees are a rip-off.

bikebum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 06:42:24 PM »
I have DSL with AT&T. I picked the slowest and cheapest they had: ~0.7 Mbps starting at $20/month for a year and then $30/month. It's plenty fast for the girlfriend and I to stream music and video. The modem came with a built-in wireless router.

dorkus619

• Stubble
    • SimplyBex
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 07:24:55 PM »
I have coppernet DSL (dry loop) and I'm paying $31 for 1.5mbps

blake201

• Stubble
  • I draw/design/sew/knit/cook.
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 09:31:08 AM »
The same thing just happened to me. I called Time Warner and threatened to cancel until they lowered my bill by $10/month indefinitely.

Also, I stopped paying their $6/month modem rental fee—I bought a compatible modem on eBay for $20.

So my bill is now back to about $46.

dorkus619

• Stubble
    • SimplyBex
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 07:53:27 AM »
Update:
After frustrating youtube freezing/buffering and basically inability to play amazon prime thru our bluray player on our current internet connection, I upgraded to 3mbps. (Netflix ran pretty well on 1.5)  I had a feeling I would need to do this, but now I believe we shouldn't have any trouble with video playback on any apps.

New bill is $36 for 3mbps dsl.