Author Topic: Alternatives for Apple earphones  (Read 6704 times)

El Gringo

• Bristles
Alternatives for Apple earphones
« on: May 01, 2015, 04:26:39 PM »
Apple earphones seem too costly to me and they're constantly giving me problems. Does anyone have any recommendations for alternatives, perhaps that don't cost $30?

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Alternatives for Apple earphones
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 04:35:13 PM »
What problems? Comfort? Sound level / quality? Fraying? Tangling in your pocket?

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 04:47:53 PM »
Aliexpress is a website that sells items very reasonably, however they usually ship straight from china and take 2 weeks to get to you.
Personally I have Sennheiser CX 300-II's that are just under $30, so not much cheaper than apple, but probably much better and higher quality headphones.
An alternative for you that doesn't cost $30, make your own music!

math-ya

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 04:51:37 PM »
you can pick up some skullcandy ink'd on ebay for about $10. for the price, they make some really high quality stuff. the company was started by a bose engineerer that went rouge or something like that. but if you could shell out around $50 you could get some high quality klipsch s4s or similar.
skullcandy has a lifetime warranty, and they'll give you free replacements forever

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 05:08:26 PM »
Beats by Dre.  Not $30

Dibbels81

• Stubble

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 06:20:43 PM »
-1 to beats by dre

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 07:05:40 PM »
Xiaomi Pistons 2.

About 24 dollars and the best in the game at any price level until 50-60 bucks. And they look aweesome! Check for reviews of this and youll see that most people praise about this thing!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 08:19:35 PM »
I use $7 Sony earbuds I got on Amazon. Have used them for years. One pair will eventually develop a loose connection after about a year or so and I just replace them with another pair. Good sound quality. I listed to podcasts a lot.

simplified

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 08:34:45 PM »
Amazon Premium Headphones. These are the closest to the apple ones. I don't know their longevity. I just received them with the purchase of a new fire phone. They are tangle free and have a more premium feel than the apple EarPods.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 08:50:08 PM »
I've bought many pairs of these Sony earbuds over the years at Target, and they work well and fit my ears and my DH's ears better than the original Apple earbuds because of the little curve. They are $10 and usually stores have them in many colors (guessing you could also get these at WalMart, Best Buy, etc.):

http://www.target.com/p/sony-fashion-earbuds-in-ear-headphones-pink/-/A-14324343#

El Gringo

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 10:07:48 AM »
Thanks everyone. It seems like every 6 months or so, the audio in one of the ears will fade or cut out. I've gotten them replaced a few times through warranty, first through Best Buy and then later I started taking them into Apple and Apple has replaced them a few times. Most recently, I have a pair of earbuds that constantly cause the audio to stop and start when there's any movement around the connection jack (e.g. when I have my iPhone in my pocket).  I'm not sure why Apple has randomly replaced them for me in the past, but this time they haven't.

math-ya: skullcandy has a lifetime warranty for $10? That sounds too good to be true...!

math-ya

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 10:38:01 AM »
They retail for $20 but you can get them shipped on eBay for $10. I bought a pair about 10 years ago. They broke on me after about 2 years each time. I would send them in, and get a free replacement every time. So I probably got 4 sets of headphones over the years for $10 (plus shipping costs). All skullcandy have the warranty, I think the ink'd model sound quality is great, not even considering the price, and I'm really into headphones. Def the way to go for cheap headphones

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!